Author Topic: Lava Cools Down After Some Time  (Read 3704 times)

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Lava Cools Down After Some Time
« on: March 19, 2006, 05:40:15 PM »
Lava cools down after some time

Originally proposed by Mezza

Related ideas:

- units that can go through lava
- Improved Bulldozer/Earthworker
- Advanced Terrain Modification

Description:

after a certain time lava cools down and becomes passable. Need for bulldozing it depends on lava type. Depends on materials in planets mantal/core and athmosphere.

This is a good idea, because:

- adds more realism to the game.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 06:50:23 PM by TH300 »

Offline omagaalpha

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 08:12:59 AM »
So does that mean that volcanos would also stop erupting after a certain point too , instead of last forever during a game.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 08:13:21 AM by omagaalpha »
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline zigzagjoe

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 08:37:58 AM »
er, you do realize lava takes quite a while (centuries is the number i heard) to cool down? (presuming no water is involved)

Offline omagaalpha

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 10:47:59 AM »
also point out that in those place usually above freezing point of earth.  Most place without atmosphere of oxygen seem have tempute rand higher tempture to - 100 celsus at night which would cool down lava lot more faster. For got think about that this not on earth anymore so temperture won't be as nice of range.
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline thablkpanda

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 12:55:51 AM »
I love bringing up old(er) topics.

This is an incredible idea, actually. We could implement a technology on Plymouth's side that will allow them to use special cooling techniques ("Hyper-Cryogenic Lava Technologies" will look nice on the advanced lab research list) To cool Lava extremely quickly; and create navigatable terrain.

Sounds like a great idea..

-Chris

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 05:39:47 AM »
Ya it actually takes lava a couple weeks to cool depending upon how big the flow is. It would have to be linked to the current mark number. The more marks the eruption lasts, the longer it takes the lava to cool. Since there is a day/night cycle, it would be really interesting to add this taking into account the number of days. Basalt lava is the hardest there is. It has a high melting point and is usually impregnated with gasses from the mantle. Most pillow lavas are basalt. The gasses contained in the lava makes it thick and frothy. Flows of basalt are usually very dense, slow moving and slow to cool. For a basalt flow that lasted a week (5 day/night cycles in game) would take 1.5 times as long to completely cool. That means about 8 day/night cycles. This would mean that a moderate eruption would take very long to cool in terms of marks. (Eventually I will time a day/night cycle and see how many marks it is)

The first level of the Plymouth campaign takes only 1 day/night cycle to fill the map with lava. So for a feature like this to work, some parameters would have to be outlined to set the min and max duration of an eruption so that the time it takes to cool isnt so long that the lava never cools before the game is over. Having volcanoes erupt multiple times at random intervals would be interesting. You could set different volcanoes to erupt different kinds of lava. Basalt being the slowest to flow and longest to cool. Others would flow faster but cool quicker. I really like this idea.