Author Topic: Domain Problems  (Read 1494 times)

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Domain Problems
« on: February 27, 2006, 07:24:22 AM »
now that im actively working on my site, i need to have constant access and uptime. however, ever since my subdomain was created i notice that every day i my subdomain goes down at exactly 5:15am and remains inaccessible until the late evening, sometime around 7pm. opu can still be accessed however, i hit reload on my site at 5:10am, uploaded an image and hit reload again at 5:15am and it said the domain cannot be found. this is the first time ive caught it at the exact minute it happens, but i have noticed this problem since the domain was created and it is a nuisance. I realize that punboy is hosting us for free, but having my domain is useless if i can only use it 40% of the time. it looks like just my subdomain is the one having the problems so if punboy could do me a favor and take a look to see what the problem is and perhaps fix it, i - and my blood pressure - would be very grateful.

I have mentioned this in the past and gotten no replies, so id appreciate a serious look.

UPDATE: I have been hitting reload every couple minutes since i wrote this and it looks like accessibility to my domain isnt simply cut off, its sporadic. i hit reload and to my surprise, my site text appeared but not images or formatting. a couple minutes later a couple of the header images loaded and one column was formatted. later, the banner loaded but no other images and no text formatting. wtf?? why is it that domain is having 'rolling blackouts'? im at a loss.

while my site content is acting strange, i still cannot access my site backend. i was in the process of changing menus and adding content so this is somewhat frustrating. it still says that horus.outpostuniverse.net cannot be found, yet parts of the default page manage to load.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 07:32:03 AM by dm-horus »

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Domain Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 07:53:49 AM »
DNS has been screwed up on this server for who knows how long. It seems to depend on what your ISP is, and how long its DNS server caches the records for outpostuniverse.net. (Currently it loads fine for me. A lot of the subdomains seem to have problems with this)

We don't really know what's going on with it (we've checked and rechecked the settings many times). Also we don't really have permission to directly adminster the DNS server.

As a precaution I've checked your DNS zone record. It looks to be perfectly fine.

Currently a solution I might suggest so you can access your site without problems is to add the following entries to your hosts file (on 9x/Me, the filename is C:\Windows\HOSTS, on NT/2k/XP it's C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts)
Code: [Select]
67.18.22.68 horus.outpostuniverse.net
67.18.22.68 www.horus.outpostuniverse.net

Create similar entries for any subdomains you have (for example 67.18.22.68 subdomain.horus.outpostuniverse.net, 67.18.22.68 www.subdomain.horus.outpostuniverse.net and so on)

Save the file and restart any web browsers you have (on 9x/Me it may even be necessary to reboot)
Hopefully that helps.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Domain Problems
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 07:58:41 AM »
thankyou for your quick reply, i appreciateit. unfortunately though it didnt help things. it looks like im just going to have to wait until it comes back up. btw, i can "access" the site but it is broken. most images dont load, the text is either unformatted or doesnt appear at all and my cms backend wont let me save changes and appears to have formatting problems as well. very odd. i sort of assumed it had something to do with caching somewhere, but youd know more than i. thx for your help!!!

Offline Galactic

• Administrator
    • http://www.konker.net
Domain Problems
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 08:55:05 AM »
If you guys are looking for a DNS server that you can actively update, check out www.zoneedit.com. I use them all the time for my websites, never seen them go down before.
Take me to your leader! I bare the claws of a corndog.