Author Topic: Disconnecting People  (Read 4830 times)

Offline Starfox00000

Disconnecting People
« on: February 19, 2006, 11:13:35 PM »
I was playing op2 and someone who will not be named, dropped our enemy from the game. It was over as I was going to die and he was long dead (he was watching). Now this had been used earlier today b/c someone (not the same person) was lagging. This is where the first someone learned it. Its done by blocking the person you want to diconnect on ham. I think we should get this now before anything happens. The proposed new rule : Never ever block anyone on ham to disconnect them from a game. Lagging or not, just ask them to leave. Just though everyone should know, incase your inconspicusly dropped.

Offline zigzagjoe

Disconnecting People
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 08:38:12 AM »
Hmm. This is rather sad that we have people low enough here to use this,as it is the same as cheating as far as I care.

Might be the end of ham if people do it too much(at all).

Offline Leviathan

Disconnecting People
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 09:41:34 AM »
that is prity lame

as for kicking ppl if they are d/c in game, you should give them 60secs then click d/c. that was the rule on won.

Offline lordly_dragon

Disconnecting People
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 12:20:55 PM »
were stats were complied? if not then i can understand but in warcraft 3 if someone lag we don't wait we kick unfortunatly

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline thablkpanda

Disconnecting People
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 01:33:26 PM »
That's low.

I can't justify cheating like that. If you chose to keep the individual anonymous, then let's hope that that individual fixes his behavior, and no consequence would be forthcoming IMO... Just don't let it happen again eh?

-Chris

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Disconnecting People
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 12:03:43 AM »
as for kicking ppl if they are d/c in game, you should give them 60secs then click d/c. that was the rule on won.
actually, the un-written rule on WON was 75 seconds, as EVERYONE was on dialup back then, and it took that long to get your modem working again.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Leviathan

Disconnecting People
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 01:44:02 AM »
it was allways 60 when i played. ive never herd of 75 secs.

also what do u mean by geting your modem working again? as in re-connecting? that dosent work, if you get d/c and reconnect you wont reconnect to the game, your ip has changed etc.

i know some people waited 90 secs.

shame you couldnt alt tab to won like you can now to irc wen someone d/c's to say ur still there or not.

and what are u talking about joe, what do u mean the end of ham!? lolz.. :/

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Disconnecting People
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 05:01:49 AM »
On WON most clans had a set of rules where usually 1 of them said when it was ok to drop a player. Mostly that time would range from 60-100seconds.

There wasn't ever any general unwritten rule for dropping players, but most players would wait a while before doing it..
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Sirbomber

Disconnecting People
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 08:22:11 AM »
Bear in mind, when fox says "lag" he means "was playing over ham using dial-up." The game was unplayable.

Plus using block screws up everyone else too. I think...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 08:22:53 AM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Disconnecting People
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 06:48:16 PM »
don't always blame dial-up. I never lagged before I got dsl.

Offline Sirbomber

Disconnecting People
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 07:46:02 PM »
Dial-up and ham don't work together. Or not very well. Imagine game speed .00000001.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Disconnecting People
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 09:07:08 PM »
That's just messed up... I say wait 60 seconds and then drop the player via OP2, NOT via HAM! Not that I'm yelling at a specific person, but it sickens me to think someone would do that...
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Disconnecting People
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 02:59:50 PM »
No, you could drop a player even without them lagging out by blocking them in hamachi (so your computer can no longer communicate with their computer over the network).

Since OP2 will suddenly stop receiving data from that player, the drop player dialog will come up, the person can then click "Drop Player" and it will signal all of the players in the game that the person has been dropped (and initiates a resync). Since it only takes one person to drop a player (there is no 'majority' system as in some other games, where a certain number of players have to click the drop button before the player actually gets dropped) this is a way to force a player to quit.

It's not to say it couldn't happen in a direct IP game though. Someone could filter their packets before OP2 got them, and block out all traffic from a certain player (that way OP2 thinks the player has d/ced) causing the Drop Player box to come up.

Even then, there are easier ways to force a player to quit. (I'm not going to explain how).

Anyway, this is a pretty sick thing to do. A form of cheating really (and if we catch you, you will get punished).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 03:00:23 PM by op2hacker »

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Disconnecting People
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 04:20:28 PM »
Except the Ham method is too easy to do.

Another reason we need to stop using Ham.

Offline Sl0vi

Disconnecting People
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 05:00:58 PM »
This is a problem, but stopping using ham is not the solution. Some people still depend on ham for multiplayer. I do suggest we set some very clear rules about this, and that there should be a severe punishment for using this to cheat.

Maybe a discussion thread for what rules to set?
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Mez

Disconnecting People
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2006, 05:07:10 PM »
How are we going to enforce a severe punishmanet?

The only way, solution wise is that people will just refuse to play with the "offending" player

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
Disconnecting People
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 05:45:02 PM »
maybe we can hack ham or have a patch that disables the disconnect thingy in ham

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Disconnecting People
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2006, 08:35:10 PM »
How are we going to enforce a severe punishmanet?

The only way, solution wise is that people will just refuse to play with the "offending" player
We can ban them (from IRC). Ham might have a ban feature as well (I'm not sure though).

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Disconnecting People
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2006, 09:34:40 PM »
it was allways 60 when i played. ive never herd of 75 secs.

Every game I was in where someone had a disconnect that they could get back in the game from, people ALWAYS said wait 75
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline zigzagjoe

Disconnecting People
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2006, 12:41:33 AM »
In any case, is a form of cheating and will be handled as such. Bans etc idk case-by-case basis i think is how we'd have to do it. 60 secs sounds good for a wait period.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 12:41:49 AM by zigzagjoe »

Offline Starfox00000

Disconnecting People
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2006, 03:59:05 PM »
its kinda funny and sad that the person in question is in here agreeing with everone else...