Author Topic: Project Update  (Read 6049 times)

Offline Leviathan

Project Update
« on: January 22, 2006, 08:22:01 AM »
Current thoughts on the project...

I really want to do this project! I’m busy with my education at the moment and its only going to get worse over the next 2 years. I have 3 months in summer for a break which I can use to do some real work on projects such as this.

If im serious about this project which I am I should really treat it seriously. I want this project to go from strength to strength and keep being developed for years to come. So why waist time, why not save my self time? Eventually the project should be web based which is the easiest way to make the game multi-platform. The game requires a large store of data, in other words; a database, and what is the best open source database around? MySQL! So it makes perfect sense that I use it for the game's database. MySQL database's can be accessed by all sorts of means, web applications, windows/linux applications, irc bots etc.

Also I am using the old version of Visual Basic, version 6. The new flavour of Visual Basic is called VB.Net and now the second version of that (2005) is called once again just VB. I’m not a great programmer of VB6 but I know I could create OPCW server & client with it. It makes more sense for me to learn the latest version than to continue with the old and get better with that when I could be getting better at the latest version.

Using MySQL would mean when I (or someone else) want to develop a new version of OPCW server (or another application for OPCW) they would be using a highly supported database format. Also it is more likely that VB developers would want to use the latest version than the old.

I have done a lot of work (about 75 hours) but I've only touched the surface of the project so far. I think rewriting it will be well worth the effort.

I want to get it right the first time, and if that means it will be a slower process then so be it.  

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Project Update
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 02:36:42 PM »
I would stay away from VB.net.. To run apps you make with VB.net you have to have the .net framework installed on the computer. And win95 won't be able to run it (w98 first edition can't either, I don't think)

Not to mention its like learning a totally different language.

Also: Not sure if you could use mysql from VB? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 02:37:06 PM by op2hacker »

Offline Leviathan

Project Update
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 02:39:32 PM »
Yes you can, hence websites like www.vbmysql.com with articles about it.

VB6 and VB.net cant be that different??

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Project Update
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 02:41:56 PM »
From what I've seen, they are. It's turning into something a lot like java actually.

And again, it's the compatibility issue. To run the program, if you don't have it installed already, you need the .NET framework from microsoft. Which turns your 2 mb download into a 30 mb one. Also older win9x's can't use .net framework at all, so your program won't run there.

Offline Leviathan

Project Update
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 02:48:45 PM »
Yea compatibility is key.

The .NET framework 2.0 (beta 2) which is what VB2005 needs is 22.5MB.

And .NET 2.0 works on 2003/XP/2000/98/98SE/ME btw.

I might make the server in VB.NET 2005 and the client with VB6.

Offline thablkpanda

Project Update
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 03:52:55 PM »
Sry to sound like a coding newb-

VB - in all respects, needs the .NET framework and Windows NT?

Besides, most XP users should have the framework- if you don't, IMO you're not a serious computer user. Most decent small apps these days are in VB__ , so they require the framework- hence we should all have it.

Chris

P.S. I'ma read into this project Lev, I don't know much about it/haven't heard much about it, so I'll do some traversing.

Offline Leviathan

Project Update
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 04:03:27 PM »
VB6 apps just needs VB6 runtime files which is just one dll i think, just 1MB, then plus and other dll/ocx files u use in the app.

Ive now found out there are 3 versions of VB.NET, not two:

VB.NET and VB.NET 2003 apps need .NET Framework 1.1 which is about 25MB and VB.NET 2005 apps need .NET Framework 2.0 which is about 25MB.

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
Project Update
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 07:37:42 PM »
I say program it all in .net, then i can help all the way ^_^ im very good with gui in .net

Offline Vexhare

Project Update
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 11:00:44 AM »
Well I enjoy the idea of this, and I would beta test and play if it encourages you!

Offline Leviathan

Project Update
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 11:47:11 AM »
Anyone with VB experience want to help?

Offline Sl0vi

Project Update
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 12:23:04 PM »
No experience with VB at all, little experience with programming. (I don't know if I can even call my c++ skills basic :P )

Anyway, I'll gladly try to learn VB to help you out.

posted here by your request ;)
!!!YAY!!!

Offline lordly_dragon

Project Update
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 06:55:03 AM »
I got VBA experience and from what I know both are somehow similar. I am willing to help with whatever you want.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 06:55:35 AM by lordly_dragon »

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.