Author Topic: Free Ftp Space Available On My Server For All  (Read 1713 times)

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
Free Ftp Space Available On My Server For All
« on: January 21, 2006, 01:32:01 AM »
As many of you already know I am now running a ftp server on my website. I am giveing away free space to anyone who wants it. minimum 2 gigs per account, more available apon request.
All I need is a user name and the password you would like to have and I will create an account for you.
There is a shared folder that anyone with a account can access and upload to. (I hope this will become a place to share code and ideas)

Now you may be asking your self:
1. what is ftp?
2. what can I do with this space?
3. is it secure?
4. what about viruses?
5. is passive mode supported?
6. this is free?

answers
1. FTP stands for file transer proticol, it alows you to upload files and download them from my server. I recomend that you use a client program not IE or Fire fox

2. this free space is good for backing up your files that you dont want to loose. Pictures, text files, code, homework ect...

3. Yes it is very secure. every file is scanned as it is uploaded and the entire server is scanned nightly. A raid setup is being implimented so that data is always backed up.

4. see 3

5. passive mode is not curently supported, there is someting not right with my router that needs fixing.

6. yes this is free, although if you like my service you can always donate money to me, any donations will be used to make the server better ^_^

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 05:39:41 AM »
Thx once again for this Moogle :D

Whats the connection upload/download?

And whats the max space the server has?

And I suggest people use FlashFXP as their FTP client, its the best :)

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 05:49:03 AM »
ive been using FireFTP. a firefox extention that acts as an internal ftp. at first i thought it was fantastic but its doing strange things. (btw lev, is my server down or something? i cant access my site) what about FlashFXP is so great? *curious*

moogle-
how sure are you of uptime? ive had back luck in the past with servers that are constantly down.  

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 06:33:46 AM »
Horus if the site is up then so is your space!

His uptime will be good enough im sure.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 08:15:50 AM »
sorry to b**** at every turn. im wired ya know.

update
mmmk. its been down for 14 hours and it just suddenly came back up. whatever happened it wasnt something i did :P and yea, im noob. mesa no care'n.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 08:22:31 AM by dm-horus »

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 10:06:33 AM »
moogle-
how sure are you of uptime? ive had back luck in the past with servers that are constantly down.
I take great pride in my server's uptime. I take great meashures to make shure it it up as much as humanly possible. The server and all my networking equipment is on a battery backup system incase the power goes out. I modifyed the ups that is connected to the server so that it runs off 2 car batterys so the server acn run up to 1/2 a week if the power is out with the monitor on ^_^

the only real down time i had was when both the power lines and the cable lines were taken down by the high winds the other day, and the a few months ago when one of the memory sticks went bad (I had the server back up in minutes).

As for lev's question on speed, The max upload speed seems to be the same as your connections upload speed, I have a 2 mb cable connection with a max upload (download to you) of 45kb/sec, but sometimes it is more.

Offline thablkpanda

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 01:25:40 PM »
Got some odd spelling in that little paragraph of yours Moogle... heh.

Nice idea- Really good idea actually, is that 2 Gigs per person? or 2 Gigs total space that we divide equally? I'm a little shady on that- but it doesn't really matter to me, just want to clarify for the lesser informed.

Thanks,
Christopher Merchant
Merchant Enterprises