Author Topic: To Players Of Runescape  (Read 17475 times)

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2007, 12:41:30 AM »
Runescape is very clunky and poor quality. Yes, its an MMO and is free but damn. Its really really bad. You get what you pay for.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2007, 01:49:54 AM »
$5 members monthly fee, and worth it if you have the time

Hooman, I WILL find a non-combat skill I can beat you to 99 with....
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2007, 09:30:21 PM »
No doubt it will be woodcutting. You're way ahead of me in that one now, and it's not exactly a priority for me. I figure I can just get other people to cut logs and sell them to me if I ever need them. That seems like a much better use of my time. :P

I'll agree that the graphics are bad and the interface can be kind of clunky and occasionally a little inconsistent, but it's got very good game play. That's something that a lot of other games out there on the market seem to lack. They spend too much time focusing on fancy graphics to try and grab people's attention and convince them to buy the game, but not enough on actual content to keep people playing. Considering I started playing this game about 5 years ago and I'm still going strong, that says something about the game play. Especially when you consider how bad the graphics are.

Offline james239

To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2007, 11:43:49 PM »
lol, I remeber when I stated playing, years before rs2, i played it because it was so playable, not because it looked nice. I wish I'd never sold my mask for 30k back then...

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2007, 02:21:12 AM »
Oh ouch! I wish I'd bought a mask for 30k back then. I wish I'd bought lots of masks. Sadly I didn't see the trend until it was too late. Well, maybe it's not too late to sell off or high alch a ton of stuff and buy a mask or two.

Offline 7842303

To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2007, 11:59:12 PM »
although i am only a lvl 22 i find the game fun but slow. thats what seperates op2 from RS. RS is only one guy making a living, while op2 is managing a bace and army usualy simeotamiosy. man thats a long word
onword to battle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
unless your tired, of cource

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2007, 02:41:25 AM »
Yes, and it's spelt simultaneously. Likewise for "separates", "base", and "usually". :P

To advance quickly in RS, it helps to made trades and employ the armies of noobs to help make your living. Doing everything by yourself isn't really very feasible.

Offline Hidiot

To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2007, 11:35:31 AM »
Brings me back memories of months back when I used to play RS.

Never was a member, cause from here it costs more than 5$ to send 5$...
Playing on the normal world as they say it gets boring quite soon.

Hooman... doing everything yourself is quite feasible if you have the time... I used to do everything myself... although that was on a... rally small scale :P

Last I remember of my character was... something like lvl 62, ~50 in attack, strength,defense and some 50 in magic. 64 in mining and around 50 in smithing. ~60 in cooking and fishing and etc... 40-50 in crafting,woodcutting, runecrafting, etc.

I would play it from time to time if I could do something less repetitive, like go there, mine/cut, go to bank, deposit, go back, repeat for a long time, then go somewhere else, do hundreds of repeats of 2-3 steps and... yeah... gets boring.

Also, a full bank is as annoying as anything :P

And, of course... if it weren't for those damn cheaters/scammers/bots, the game might have been a tad more pleasant.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2007, 03:13:18 AM »
If you're low level, then yes, do everything yourself. But once you start getting up there, you begin to realize how futile it is.

The amount of experience you need for a level double about every 7 levels. I can give you the exact formula is you want. But think about it this way, level 92 is only half way to level 99. Level 85 is only 1/4 of the way there. Level 78 is only 1/8 of the way there. Level 71 is only 1/16 of the way there. At level 64, which is what you said your mining is at, that's only 1/32 of the way there. Now think how long it took you to get that high. Now multiply that by 32. Now consider there are 23 skills (last time I checked). Assuming all skills are equally easy to train, which they're not, then getting one skill to level 64 is about 1/736 of the effort you'd need to get all your skills maxed out. If you did that in 1 day, then you're looking at a little over 2 years to get the rest of your stats up. If it took you a month, well, then it's a little over 61 years.

Now stop and think for a minute about how these games make money.

Anyways, from person experience, I say it's not feasible to do everything yourself. I know because I tried trading to reduce the time needed to get what I wanted to train with. I also considered the cost of trading, and you're still not only making money, but you end up making money at a faster rate. It's like making 20% on 1 million, instead of 100% on only 100000. Here's is the kind of stats I had when I stopped playing:

Fletching 99
Cooking 91
Smithing 89
Mining 89
Agility 85
Crafting 85
Fishing 81
Woodcutting 81
Magic 80
Theiving 80
Firemaking 80
Runecrafting 77
Farming 76
Strength 74
Hitpoints 73
Attack 73
... (6 skills below 1 mil xp (about lvl 73) that I don't feel like typing)
Construction 52  (lowest)

I'll tell you right now, that I didn't collect all the materials I needed by myself. For the fletching, I made a little over 73600 yew bows. I bought the flax, and I bought the wood. I turned all the flax into bowstring myself, I cut all the logs, and I strung all the bows. I was in the process of high alching them all when I quit. I bought the nature runes for that too, although I might have only stocked enough for half of them at the time, I can't remember now. Think how long that would take if I collected the flax and logs myself. The flax, maybe somewhat doable. But the logs would have just been crazy.

Also, it's way more convenient to make laws than it is to make nature runes. Much faster, completely safe, more experience per essence, and they're worth more on the market. You can potentially make nature runes just as fast if you go through the abyss, but then you open yourself up to getting PKed, and you'll be skulled and likely risking a glory ammy, and a lot of trouble. Any safer way is slower. The only exception is if you're over level 91 rune crafting (which very few people are), and you can get double nats, in which case get some runners that essentially pay you. Now think about this. You can make the same number of law runes in less time, in a completely safe way, for more experience, and sell them on the market for the usual price of about 350 each, and then buy the nature runes you need at 310 each, thus saving time and making a profit. If you're below level 91, but above level 54 so you can make laws, the choice about which way is better is pretty clear. The only real downside to making the laws and trading for nats, is having to trade. Yes, there are some dumb people out there you might run into while trading. Just ignore them and think about how much time and money you're saving.

I have made over 3 mil gp in a day by selling law runes, and that's if you include the cost of the essence which I bought (way back when it was cheaper and more plentiful, although the deal is still pretty good).

Then think about smithing. It's almost hopeless on the free world. You can never really make a consistent income off of it. If you want to train it there, it's pretty much guaranteed money lost. But as a member, the money is mainly in iron throwing knives, and steel cannon balls. Maybe a bit in iron arrows too. You might occasionally get a sweet deal on another oddity, but don't count on it. Don't expect a steady income selling suits of armour. Sure you can make quite a bit on each deal, but a person only really needs 1 set, so the deals end up being smaller overall and harder to come by. Plus the people you end up dealing with are inevitably more annoying. The real money is in disposable goods, which there is always a large market for. No matter how many are out there, people can always make use of more. (i.e. arrows and throwing knives). Now consider how much mining xp you get compared to the smiting experience for what you mined. You'll have low smithing no matter what you mine if you're not buying. There's just no way to keep your smithing as high as mining without supplementing it somehow.  

If you're a member you can train smithing at a profit though. If you buy iron ore at around 110 each, which seems to be the standard price, and get some rings of forging so you get 100% smelt rate then you almost double your money selling iron knives at about 40 each, which is a very common price last time I checked. The rings last for 140 ore, so even if you buy them at 5000 each, that's still only 5000/140 = 36 gp per ore. That about 146 gp spent per ore if you buy everything. If you're selling iron knives at 40 each, and get 5 per bar, that's 200 gp per bar. You still making at least 54 gp per ore, and even if the prive of the knives drops to 35 each, you still making over half that. I've seen the price go as high as 45 or even 50 once. Don't count on that though, and don't resort to 35 unless you've failed to sell for an entire day or two. Also, as a member, with a glory ammy, it's very easy to come by gems. I usually had 800 to 1000 rings of forging stocked at any given time, so I never needed to buy them, thus increasing the profit (to almost half).

Iron arrows are a bit more deceptive. You can get 15 arrow heads per bar, but you also need feathers and arrow shafts to use them. The feathers are easy to come by, but the shafts are somewhat more rare. I've gotten in a number of debates with CK9 about just how long it takes to make your own shafts. He seems to be very much of the mind of doing everything yourself. Shafts do seem easy, and I sometimes try to make a few on my way between places, but really they are too slow going to make enough to get a reasonable amount of arrows to sell. Typical trades I made were almost always over 100k gp, and usually much more. It takes a significant amount of a day to make enough shafts to sell 100k gp worth of iron arrows. If that's all I did in a day, I'm thinking maybe that could (partially contribute) to about 300k gp worth of produce to sell in a day. Considering I can make 10x more gp per day with law runes, this isn't a very good use of my time. If you buy both the feathers and arrows, as well as the ore and rings of forging, then it costs around 12 gp per arrow for feathers and shafts (this cost can easily vary between 8 and 20 gp per arrow), times 15 arrows in a bundle, plus the cost of the ore to make the 15 arrow heads, that's about 326 gp per bundle. If you're selling iron arrows at about 25 each, that's about 375 gp per bundle. So in this case the profit per iron bar processed is slightly less than throwing knives, but the time is a lot greater since you still have to put the arrows together. Granted you do get a bit of fletching xp, but making bows was a much faster and more profitable way of doing that anyways. I basically only made arrows when I was doing other things like agility training. That way it helps hide the time to make the arrows, since you're doing not much else with a mostly empty inventory anyways for long periods of time.

Basically, if it's not worth doing in bulk, then it's not worth doing. Basically if you can't easily get someone else to buy lots of it, and if you can't high alch it for a profit, don't waste time making it. Also, don't waste time collecting resources that don't get you a good rate of xp, (or any xp in the case of things like flax), since you can easily make more in a day selling produce even after paying someone else to collect it. It's a waste of your valuable time.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 03:17:37 AM by Hooman »

Offline Hidiot

To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2007, 11:06:27 AM »
As a member I bet it's far more important how you play.

But as a mere free-player? There's not much fun in it by itself... you pretty much have to make your own fun. My own fun was pretty much: killing mages for nature runes, going mining with a fire staff and those nature runes and making bars on-site, when I'm out of runes I would go smith the highest thing possible for the most smithing exp, then sell wherever... usually to shops. I would occasionally mine some essence to make some air/mind runes for my fir bolts...

In a non-members world, you can not even make your own arrows, you can't make throwing knives, you can barely make anything worth it... I just did what I felt like fun, which was doing a little bit of everything...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 11:06:40 AM by Hidiot »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2007, 09:54:24 PM »
Yes, and I'm sure they did that for a reason. You can't make any disposable goods on the free worlds, except maybe runes, and the only ones you can make just as effectively on free worlds is air runes. Anything else is much easier and faster on members worlds. (You wouldn't believe how fast you can make fire runes on a members world with rings of dueling. You can run nonstop without ever running out of energy).

Smelting on the spot is very useful. That can really increase the amount of stuff you essentially carry back in one trip by a lot. Although, is does cost nature runes which are a little harder to come by on the free worlds. If I was on the free worlds I might just save those for high alching. I have done that quite a bit though. Especially as a member in the Grand Tree mine. Very very nice mine there, and it's usually not crowded. But then you have to do some quest that involves killing a big monster to get in there.

As a non member I used to make most of my money with mith plates. The thing is, I made them faster than Horvick would buy them at a decent price. If you high alch them, then you get the highest price that Horvick would have paid you for them. (Unless someone just bought him out, then the price there is a little better, but that's very very rare). I probably got up to about 360k gp doing that. That was about the most I ever had on the free words.

Btw, the smithing experience is the same per bar no matter what you make. (Except when making cannon balls, but that uses the bars at the furnace where you can smelt them too). Anything done at an anvil simple gives the number of bars times the xp per bar of that type for experience. Granted, you can use the bars up a lot faster with something big, like plates, and you get the most money per bar out of plates if you're high alching or selling to the shops. (But not when selling throwing knives or arrows to players, where you'd get the most).

Offline CK9

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2007, 05:05:33 AM »
Where and how you make th shafts has an impact, hooman.  The first tie I payed for membership, I worked on fletching almost immediatly (after quests, of course).  When I could make steel arrows, I spent a day (~ 8 hours tbh) making arrow shafts.  When I was done, I had 50k steel arrows.  Granted, that may not be as many as I could have made had I bought the shafts, but when you aren't making them to sell them, it's worth the time getting your own shafts.

Anyway, I've always been a self-reliant player.  The way I level is that I look for the shortcuts.  A quest here, a mini-game there... it all adds up.

my stats as of today (note: I've been playing since 2001, didn't join members until late 2005.  So, yeah, my stats aren't going to be as good as they could have been):
Code: [Select]
Skill                Rank      Level        XP 
Overall             24,363     1,757    50,941,632
Attack              48,934       90      5,572,552
Defence             29,154       90      5,572,633
Strength            61,228       90      5,575,921
Hitpoints           50,673       90      5,671,341
Ranged              230,075      72        913,262
Prayer              26,111       72        919,035
Magic               80,283       84      2,973,752
Cooking             152,597      78      1,778,908
Woodcutting         27,524       90      5,687,439
Fletching           92,042       86      3,642,412
Fishing             105,877      78      1,717,750
Firemaking          35,568       77      1,613,156
Crafting            19,735       77      1,549,952
Smithing            47,625       70        786,754
Mining              31,965       81      2,197,124
Herblore            42,103       64        409,999
Agility             16,736       71        883,322
Thieving            22,206       74      1,141,421
Slayer              96,920       62        363,149
Farming             25,778       66        539,700
Runecraft           52,163       62        365,977
Hunter              33,079       67        555,624
Construction        25,953       66        510,449

Granted, I'm not nearly as rich as hooman got over and over again, but being self-sufficient made each million give me that much more of a sense of accomplishment.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 05:15:29 AM by CK9 »
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2007, 11:13:47 AM »
... and I had my millions to comfort me.  :D

Offline CK9

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2007, 06:01:24 PM »
money isn't everything :P

Unlike the vast majority of players today, I still find maxing out my skills to be a far better goal than getting the most money.

CK9 in outpost

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2007, 11:49:17 PM »
As did I. But by trading, I was able to ensure a faster rate of growth of my stats. That was the whole point. I also liked the idea of being self sufficient, but the higher your stats, the more self sufficient you are able to be, and maybe a little paradoxically, trading was the best way to raise your stats quickly to become more self sufficient.

What I didn't much care for was straight out merchanting, where you're just buying one thing for cheap, and then turning around and selling it for more. Mostly for the same reason; that money wasn't everything. But also because that act doesn't lead to experience. My brother did that, and he was many times richer than I was (well, that was somewhat debatable in the end, although he was probably still ahead with his mask sets), but I had a greater rate of growth in stats than he did. It often obtained double his rate of growth, even though we played for about the same amount of time. The main difference between our two approaches is that he traded mainly for money, where as I traded for raw input resources to use on training something, and then sold the finished product so I could afford to buy more input resources. He also tended to go for a few money lost deals to train certain skills by just buying stuff he couldn't make money on after using it. I mainly stuck to sustainable development, where what I produced was always worth at least as much as it cost me to make it. Money was always nice, and I did keep an eye on it because I knew a good cash flow meant a good flow of resources, and a good rate of experience, but money was always secondary to experience.

I found the most fun and satisfying thing was just plain producing a ton of stuff. I loved to tunnel my efforts into certain skills and stick with them for a long time and see a big increase in experience concentrated in one area. Granted, I also liked to make the most use of my time and multitasked whenever possible. (Like making arrows while agility training, or high alching at the gem rocks when the respawn time was too slow). But still, despite the pointlessness of the game, there is still something of a feeling of accomlishment after processing a batch of 30k iron ore, or 73k bows/logs/flax, or a few thousand fish, or 600 laps around an agility course (everyday for a week). Like I said in an earlier post. You just have to do things in bulk.  :)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2007, 01:28:50 AM »
which is fine when stat work is ALL you're doing.  My main problem is that I'm a questaholic.  The second a quest comes out, I forget what I was doing and go straight for it.  For a while, I passed you in a stat (don't remember which, but it wasn't woodcutting) and that was due to a quest experience reward.
CK9 in outpost

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2007, 10:01:46 AM »
Well now that I haven't played in about a year, I'm sure you've passed me in many more.

Plus you were pretty much always ahead in anything combat. Ugh, I couldn't stand combat. What a waste of time and resources!  ;)

I preferred devoting time to harvesting and processing skills, as that was where the main economic power came from. Some basic level of combat is necessary to effectively make use of certain areas, or finishing certain quests with nice rewards that help training skills, but I never really trained it. I probably got most of my combat experience from killing level 13 chaos druids for the herbs they dropped. Not exactly a swashbuckling adventurer there.

Ahh well, to each their own.  

Offline CK9

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2007, 05:49:17 PM »
high combat = quest and mini-game bosses die faster.

PC before the update:

average game time: ~1min
rewards: combat level * 100 gp, 2 points
spend points on:
combat-related xp (good for prayer and mage)
void armor (I'll get it after I get 99 con)
seed packs (I've gotten good seeds from them before)
mineral packs (iron and coal, would have been good for you)
herb packs (random herbs, I've gotten kuwarm and above before)

shades of mort'ton:

experience gained in:
combat (hp, str, att, def, or range if you prefer range)
mage
prayer
crafting
woodcutting
firemaking

note: this is some of the best non-purchased crafting exp in the game.  100% sanctity + Flamtear hammer = a lot of crafting exp in an hour.

Hunter is a very good skill for getting your feathers for fletching, not to mention the red chinchompas that are so popular to rangers now.

if you look at the knowledge base list of experience gained from doing quests, it's a significant ammount.  Don't forget those achievement diaries!  30k total experience gained (I think, might have been more) for total completion.  You can do stuff while you're just in the area and get a little extra somethin' for your time.
CK9 in outpost

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2007, 06:36:54 AM »
Yeah, but I only really bother when I'm in the area, or I can get a significant new benefit out of it that lasts for the long run. A 30k shot of experience doesn't really mean a whole lot in the long run. If I just trained a skill during the time it took me to do a quest, I could probably get about as much as the quest reward.

Something lasting like the balloon transport is useful though. That can significantly cut the time it takes to make law runes. The ectophial is useful, as are teleport crystals. Getting access to the Grand Tree mine is useful. The cooking guantlets are useful. Basically anything with a lasting effect, such as a useful item that's reusable, access to a new area with significant resources, or faster access to a useful old area.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2007, 07:05:04 AM »
Karamja acheivement gloves fr full completion give you discounts in stores, more exp from agil arena, free shilo village teleport, and I think it was 8 more gem rocks
CK9 in outpost

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2007, 08:49:16 AM »
Hmm. Sounds new.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2007, 07:08:20 PM »
was added earlier this year =p
CK9 in outpost

Offline fire team zu

To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2009, 10:07:06 AM »
well im board of runescape now .... add fire team zu and pm me when im on i got DRAGON  
Start The Protest

No
More
GFWL
Who Ever Invented It Should Die
The Differance between a good game and a bad game is windows vista

IM GONNA BAN YOU SO HARD YOULL BE STUCK IN OUTPOST 2    (fave saying to noob people in source games)

Offline Zardox Xheonov

To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2009, 04:40:32 PM »
Hey i love runescape!!!!!!!!! Nice stats btw...Please add my username:

Cliviax Doom

the best way to make gp (in my opinion) is to go to godwars dungeon and kill adversaries. They drop noted addy bars in great quantities.. and rune crossbowlimbs.. i usaully bring bones to peaches tabs so i can have a longer trip.
per trip id say at least a reward of over 100k..(though it could be more). i think i might have gotten over 80bars in one trip...

i also like wcing..i usually chop magic and yew logs and sell them at the ge.
the barrows mini game gives you a 10% chance of getting the armor...i once got a guthans war spear(cost 4m at the time). my combat level is 108.
iv got over 16m in cash and items. hey CK9 might you want to meet at world 12(members) and hang or somthing? iv been playing sense 2006(i think).

remember please add me on runescape. we really have to hang!!!
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline Hidiot

To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2009, 05:32:30 AM »
we really have to hang!!!
Exclude CK9 from it. Then you can hang yourself all you want.