Author Topic: Your Sound Department  (Read 1877 times)

Offline lordly_dragon

Your Sound Department
« on: January 09, 2006, 09:12:13 PM »
so ill go with mine  altec lansing speaker (dont remember what they are.. but they sound good) and a sound card creative soundblaster live 24 bit

the best speaker brand from experience and test are either bose with included subwoofer into the speaker  or altec lansing creative are good too but i prefer those ;)

in the sound card creative is second i think and the first one my uncle told me about but i dont remember the name i tested it at his house and its literally rocked the hell out of there and have a nice .mid board with it so it was ZE best :P

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Your Sound Department
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 10:06:53 PM »
I have some sort of Altec Lansing sound system, with a crappy creative sound card. My speakers are 2 main, 2 satelites, and one sub (which is also my footrest :lol:) . Although, they don't support 5.1 Dolby :( . Oh well, I just have one cable coming from my card to the speakers ^^

it works lol

stormy :op2:
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Your Sound Department
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 02:27:04 AM »
dude, sound is SO arbitrary!

Ive worked in 3 electronics stores and all of them had loooong shelves full of sound systems that you can demo and compare. and any system ive tried changes depending on the shape of the room, features, model number, model year, etc. i dont think there is a BEST system, just what works for your home. besides, speakers only make up 15% of the sound system. if your sound card is crap, no speaker is gonna sound good.

Offline lordly_dragon

Your Sound Department
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 12:20:56 PM »
i'm aware of that horus but since i use maybe 90% of the power of my sound card in various form (from midi to electronic recording of my guitar) i know its an obvious factor of preference and taste but i was asking what you guys prefer  

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Your Sound Department
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 04:53:56 PM »
Yeah, the pc I've got has a SB Live Value in it. the sound card isn't wonderful but it's not too bad either. At least it has a S/PDIF output.

It's connected thru the S/PDIF to a Boston Acoustics sub, 5.1 channel sound with Boston Acoustics front speakers.

I don't have matching rear speakers, so I used these crappy ACS90 Altec Lansing speakers. (As far as I'm concerned, all Altec's are pieces of s***... they sound exactly like what they are.. a low quality, low impedance, small speaker inside a plastic box). Some day I'll go to the store and get new ones to replace them.

So I have a full 5.1 setup (howver the rears are on a table next to me, I don't have a long enough cord to put them in the back of the room. I lost that audio cable when I moved, I think).

And yes, speakers / sound card isn't the only issue but they are very much a main issue. A room with good acoustics is not going to make bad speakers sound better.

In the case of typical desk speakers the acoustics of the room are not very important, as you're going to be sitting in front of the speakers.