Poll

Which interpretation of Dune do you prefer?

Original Frank Herbert 'Dune' novel
2 (50%)
Frank Herbert novel sequels
0 (0%)
Brian Herbert novel prequels
0 (0%)
David Lynch film adaptation
1 (25%)
Dune miniseries
1 (25%)
Children of Dune miniseries
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Dune  (Read 6311 times)

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Dune
« on: November 29, 2005, 06:30:25 PM »
Dune is a science fiction novel written by Frank Herbert and published in 1965 . A winner of the Hugo Award and Nebula Award for outstanding science fiction, Dune is popularly considered one of the great science fiction novels of all time, and is frequently cited as the best-selling science fiction novel in history[1]. Dune spawned five sequels written by Herbert, and inspired a film adaptation by David Lynch, a mini-series made by the Sci Fi Channel (United States), computer games, and a series of prequels co-written by Brian Herbert, the author's son, and Kevin J. Anderson.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Dune
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 06:50:09 PM »
Oh geez... I don't know!  :heh: I always wanted to read the books but never have. I played one of the games for a couple of missions but that's about it... oops. Oh well!  :lol:

Offline spirit1flyer

Dune
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 07:23:14 PM »
I have never played or read any of the Dune stuff.  But I have heard that dune was one of the first rts games.

"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Dune
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 08:12:49 PM »
Yeah, but the book(s) came out first. I've heard from friends that the books are just fabulous. I wouldn't know...  :unsure:  

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Dune
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 09:27:21 PM »
I've read Dune. It was kick ass. I'd wanted to read it for years. I found a friend had a copy last year and they decided to lend it to me. Very clever novel indeed. It has some very good detail in it. Plus you gotta love dirty uses of nuclear weapons. Done just right. :)

And yeah, Dune 2 was the first RTS I've heard. I've got a copy of it. Pretty cool. You can run over infantry with tanks in it.  :ph34r: (It makes some cool noises when you do  :heh: ). But yeah, 256 color, DOS based game, and you could only select one unit at a time. I used to love playing it years ago.  (thumbsup)

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Dune
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 03:32:33 AM »
Personally I like the miniseries that appeared on scifi channel. it was made with more attention to the book rather than an "interpretation" of the book as was the case with the lynch movie. a great deal of character detail was left out or altered to give the film more action and unfortunately culled most of the intrigue, mystery and cleverness that the novel had. the miniseries was 24 hours long in total i believe and the level of detail found in it made for something much more interesting. i have no knowledge of any dune game and i doubt i will ever play one. i tend to hold such a thing as more or less blasphemy. i dont want to ruin my view of the 'duniverse' by playing cheesy games based on it :P thats sort of the same feeling i get when i see the lynch dune movie. it sorta feels like a poor imitation or parody. not that im fanatical or anything