Author Topic: A Eden Unit  (Read 8237 times)

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
A Eden Unit
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2005, 11:52:23 PM »
Fine ill dream up a heavy weapon for ply while i am at it
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 11:57:25 PM by Freeza-CII »

Offline zanco

A Eden Unit
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2005, 11:57:51 PM »
Works for me! I will be Plymouth voice and you will be Eden's.  ;)  
if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

"Zanco`, n00b o' The Flares"

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
A Eden Unit
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2005, 12:02:35 AM »
I am thinking X-Rays There more powerful then microwaves and visible light.  YES YES i know some one is going to say they will just bounce off but so would microwaves.  That is why they are in a concentrated coheriant beam.

Really who would like to blast deadly Xrays into a colony lol

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
A Eden Unit
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2005, 12:06:04 AM »
so an x-ray gun for ply to rival thor, and a liquid nitrogen granade (or somthing) for eden to rival sitcky

seems about right
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
A Eden Unit
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2005, 12:07:33 AM »
yup sure is now i have to draw up another turret
 Its all about simple techs verses eden techs lol

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
A Eden Unit
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2005, 12:10:41 AM »
now to get technical, x-rays would be a line of sight weppon (its still a beam) so it would have that disadvantage on thor

so I beleave the liquid nirtrogen granade will have to have a simmiler drawback, such as it dosnt hold as long, since it holds with ice and frozen joints instead of buckytubes
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
A Eden Unit
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2005, 12:15:04 AM »
Microwave as well would be a line of sight weapon to.

But when you think about a thor should beable to fire over wall because the thors hammer uses a targeting beam and trying to fire over a wall would result in missing or grounding out on the wall and blowing it to smitherings.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
A Eden Unit
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2005, 12:19:49 AM »
microwaves are a line of sight weppon

ive thought of that, and yes it is true that the weppon is directed by a proton beam, I think the sensor and targeting system is more sophisticated than that

it may be able to detect the ionazation of its suroundings than thus use that to manipulate the beam so that the lighting would hit the target

for example, to fire over a wall into a building, it would know what the ionazation of the building is, and thus it would point the beam over the building, but the lightning would be attracted to the building and thus move in an arc over the wall

thats probly the reasion in the noliva thor had such targeting problems in the beginning, it didnt know how the ionazation would bend the lightning

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
A Eden Unit
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2005, 12:22:37 AM »
so your saying that the ionazation of another area could bend the lightning sounds like it would work to me.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 12:22:59 AM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
A Eden Unit
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2005, 12:25:29 AM »
it should, thats how lightning rods work lol

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
A Eden Unit
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2005, 12:26:58 AM »
LOL a lightning rod lynx.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
A Eden Unit
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2005, 12:30:51 AM »
lol thats a nifty little idea, of corse such a simple trick wouldnt fool the sophistacated sensors and computers, it would detect the ionazation, and compensate

well lets hold this off till tomarrow to see what the rest of the comunity thinks about this, you should set up a poll

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
A Eden Unit
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2005, 12:32:35 AM »
well i think such a vec would be a novelty lol.  Set up a poll for what?

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
A Eden Unit
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2005, 01:46:22 AM »
EMI Cannon

makes units go crazy wandering off and fireing randomly at things. for a certain period of time. on less shielded units they can become fried compleately forever stuck in crazy mode till you repair them

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
A Eden Unit
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2005, 12:21:54 PM »
what is EMI and the ai isnt that smart lol. and how exactly would that work

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
A Eden Unit
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2005, 12:38:47 PM »
I think he is talking about electromagnetic interferience

clever idea, but you would know that the friend or foe sensor is proteen baised, so EMI wouldnt make it go bazerk, although somthing that destrioed the proteen cores, like blight, would

While the electro-optical logic unit handles most of the TAFT's functions, a protein-based pattern recognition unit is used to identity hostile and friendly units, and to select an appropriate threat response. 

from guardpost in the help file

poll as in asking the rest of the forum if their for or against putting these new weps in, we wouldnt want to change the game like this without the concent of the cumminety
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 12:39:49 PM by Betaray »

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
A Eden Unit
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2005, 01:35:01 PM »
EMI - Electro magnetic interfearence... reason why you have all the extra metal parts in monitors and computer cases that often i take out lol can lead to random thingts not working right and things getting wrong signals such as cell phones and tvs.

its not so much as the unit its self would be goign crazy its more like the unit is recieveing random commands causeing it to go nuts.  you can command your units to fire on your own structures and such

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
A Eden Unit
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2005, 02:15:03 PM »
Its a interesting idea but wouldnt it be easier to emp them lol  And take over if your ply.

I like to call it IFF Identify Friendly or Foe.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 02:15:51 PM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
A Eden Unit
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2005, 02:58:26 PM »
yea, thats what I was going for, I couldnt remember the acronim though

so you should set up a poll for the x-ray cannon, and the liquid nitrogen granades yay or nay

Offline Sirbomber

A Eden Unit
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2005, 03:25:00 PM »
Don't forget "Mayhaps" and "OP2 is perfection incarnate" for lev.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
A Eden Unit
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2005, 03:43:38 PM »
I have set one up look in the polls section to find it.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
A Eden Unit
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2005, 06:02:18 PM »
You know, it'd likely be easier to add new units to specific levels than to the game as a whole. So new units could end up being level specific items. Not such a bad thing for people that don't want the original game changed.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
A Eden Unit
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2005, 06:34:28 PM »
That sounds good but how can you add them with out having to replace some thing else.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
A Eden Unit
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2005, 06:40:52 PM »
Well, create a new UnitTypeInfo (just what I call the class type, no names are left in the exe so I created one here for my use) class, and implement a new CreateUnit function. You also need a new Unit class to be created by this function. It will have to fit within 120 bytes. A number of memory locations are expected to have certain values though. So it's not such a bad idea to call a constructor for one of the existing unit types on your new unit. It's also not such a bad idea to clone the virtual function table of an existing unit, since a lot of virtual functions exist and it'd be a REAL pain to implement them all. (That and we don't know what they all do). Then, you'd probably want to override specific functions in that cloned virtual function table to implement your custom unit behaviour.

As for how to get the unit created in game... I'm not sure yet. You can certainly create one yourself in code. But to have one built at say a vehicle factory would require a bit more work.