Poll

which do you think is cooler?  not which is more powerful!

microwave
21 (51.2%)
Laser
20 (48.8%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Microwave Or Laser?  (Read 9432 times)

Offline spirit1flyer

Microwave Or Laser?
« on: November 27, 2005, 11:18:40 PM »

12 units for the start, 6 units left on the wrong side <_<  oh and I was playing a test of power against the AI I thought maybe I could beat the AI with lasers against microwaves :P  
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
Microwave Or Laser?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 12:16:06 AM »
same tech level?

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Microwave Or Laser?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 12:28:45 AM »
Microwave turrets don't look like ... anything. They're just weird blobs of graphics. I think the laser turret looks better. That and their is something about the weapons fire from a microwave that just doesn't look right.

But hey, on the other hand, it's always cool to see your opponent's vehicles blowing up. So in that sense, I guess I like microwaves better.  ;)  

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Microwave Or Laser?
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 01:30:24 AM »
I say microwave, 'cause it's the one we actually have working at a similar level to in game
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Leviathan

Microwave Or Laser?
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 02:10:10 AM »
i love the mirowave glory!

and please post in my micro map thread.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Microwave Or Laser?
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 02:13:25 AM »
Laser its eden and not to bad after the heat dis upgrade and a total underdog  

Offline siqueule

Microwave Or Laser?
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 05:35:01 AM »
I prefer the microwaves, the noise is more pleasant; moreover, the laser turrets looks like tv parabola...  
attention! ne mets pas tes mains sur la porte: tu risques de te faire pincer très fort
warning! don't put your hand on the door: you risk to be grip very strong

Offline Leviathan

Microwave Or Laser?
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 06:44:39 AM »
ya the laser looks cool, allways liked it.  

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Microwave Or Laser?
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 01:54:21 PM »
I'd have to say the microwaves are cooler. Partly because they ARE more powerful (like Hooman said, they make enemy vehs go boom, so they're more fun :P)

I think they're more original as well. What sci-fi game DOESN'T have a laser? Where on the other hand, I've never seen microwaves in a sci-fi game.

And yeah, like sigueule said, their sound is better. (The laser sounds a bit, err, "wimpy.") :heh:

That reminds me, I wrote a level a couple days ago that is a purely 'scientific' test of the laser vs microwave. Obviously you can tell that mics will win, by looking at the dmg values in the sheets, but it's fun to watch and see who will win experimentally.

Basically it sends waves of 1 laser vs 1 mic each, from two different AI bases (CC and VF each). after about 5 "rounds" of this, the microwave overpowers the lynx and destroys the other ai's CC and VF.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 01:56:49 PM by op2hacker »

Offline Sirbomber

Microwave Or Laser?
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 02:08:03 PM »
I prefer the microwaves, the noise is more pleasant

What are you talking about? They both go "ki-pow! ki-pow! ki-pow! ki-pow!" over and over again. The microwave just has an echo.
And the laser looks much better than the microwave, which apparently resembles a box.

See how boxy it looks?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Microwave Or Laser?
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 03:09:20 PM »
I think thats an RPG turret

me I pick laser, because I tried building a microwave weppon in my basement, and it nearly burned my house down, so I dont like them  (thumbsdown)  
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Microwave Or Laser?
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 03:56:39 PM »
beta, look in the lower left corner of the right picture and you will see a microwave lynx.  I love that pic, it was so well done
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Microwave Or Laser?
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 04:01:37 PM »
I like the lightning on the right hand of it

does anyone know who did those pics, and/or what program they used?
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline spirit1flyer

Microwave Or Laser?
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 04:28:13 PM »
I can get you a list of the people who work on it but as for who made it I can't get that.

I have always thought the Laser looked the best.
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Microwave Or Laser?
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 04:41:30 PM »
I can reproduce that lightening effect with colored pencils.
CK9 in outpost

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Microwave Or Laser?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 05:41:55 PM »
Yeah, those pics are pretty kick ass. Someone needs to tell the person who made them. Not that they don't already know.

But yeah, in game, the microwaves look too boring. You don't really get much of a feel for the weapon mounted on the turret.

Offline Tellaris

Microwave Or Laser?
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 10:14:51 PM »
I like the laser sound better then the microwaves'.   And the sci fi look to those lynx is nice.
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline siqueule

Microwave Or Laser?
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2005, 05:50:54 AM »
the laser, it's just light; I have a laser-pencil, I use them to amuse my cat who follow the red point...
while the microwave, we feel the charged-particles with high energy who shoot the schielding of the target to create difference of potential who will heat the steel and melt them :o ; I love see a microwave-tiger who demolish some vehicles!
the laser, bof, it's just a red feature...
attention! ne mets pas tes mains sur la porte: tu risques de te faire pincer très fort
warning! don't put your hand on the door: you risk to be grip very strong

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Microwave Or Laser?
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2005, 12:13:53 PM »
me I pick laser, because I tried building a microwave weppon in my basement, and it nearly burned my house down, so I dont like them
That was kind of silly. I see that games have a direct influence on you.

Anyway, I much prefer the laser (although I think dynamix reversed the turrets... honestly, lasers don't need a dish to focus their beams... they're already focused but microwaves very much need a dish to focus their beams). Anyway, point being, despite the (apparant) mixup, I much prefer the lasers. The beams look fun (glowing red stuff... mmmmm....) and the turrets are just freaking sweet.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Microwave Or Laser?
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2005, 12:18:10 PM »
As far as those images are concerend, they were part of OP2's artwork package if I'm not mistaken (mission pics from Plymouth's campaign?).

Anyway, chances are they created those images using whatever 3D software suite they used to create the cutscenes.

As far as lighting goes, it's a rather simple effect to recreate both real-time in a game and offline using either PhotoShop or a 3D software suite. I can teach anyone how to create such effects if they'd like (e.g., the OP3:GEN logo... I'll attach it to the bottom of this post).

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Microwave Or Laser?
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2005, 01:37:02 PM »
I just realized something.  That pic is from the plymouth campeigne, but plymout is getting their ass kicked in it.  idiots build the generators outside of the gaurdpost lines
CK9 in outpost

Offline Sirbomber

Microwave Or Laser?
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2005, 03:03:44 PM »
What are you talking about CK9?
Everyone knows you should dismantle all colony-vital buildings and rebuild them right outside your enemy's base.  ;)  
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Microwave Or Laser?
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2005, 08:44:55 PM »
Well I don't know if that's such a terrible idea. I've made good use of exploding tokamaks in a game before. It took at the attacking army about a second before an acid cloud lynx was finished building, which had no trouble killing the disabled units.

Btw, has anyone found that certain movement patterns with vehicles tend to give them a better chance of survival. I remember doing certain things with a laser lynx up against a microwave lynx and I managed to win about half the time (instead of like 10% of the time).

Offline Vexhare

Microwave Or Laser?
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2006, 04:10:02 PM »
Microwave has proven to work better.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Microwave Or Laser?
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2006, 05:02:26 PM »
micro def has nicer sound. the anim for the bolt isnt every sexy, altho somewhat hypnotising @.@