Author Topic: Land  (Read 9158 times)

Offline Leviathan

Land
« on: November 27, 2005, 04:56:29 PM »
Each building takes up 1 unit of land.

But should you need to own land to store your units and transport craft?

I was thinking you would just use the area around your colony to store your armys. And this is also where battle takes place.

The land you actualy own is land that you have tubed on and is ready to build on.

Can you capture land like in other webgames like SK and Dom?

What ya think?

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Land
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 12:10:15 AM »
Capturing land doesn't make as much sense in this game if that's how you get land. How are you going to control and limit land development?

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Land
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 02:58:52 AM »
I would say Land is unlimited makeing it it possible to run into other bases and every one can have the biggest base they want.  This solves the problem of conflicts of encroaching armies.  This just leave the land to be explored by the scouts.  the scouts have to be sent out to explore at a price and it would take how ever many marks for them to complete there task.  the more you pay the scout the longer it will explore and ultimatly bring more land.  But the possiblity of being destroyed by a natrual disaster percentage which should be higher the more you pay your scout.

Now land is a commodity like most other thing and can be stolen.  Say you attack with 10 class 1 units (laser/mic lynx) to steal some land of a desired size.  There would be a percentage based on the size of the land you want to steal and the number of units you send to take this land and the number of units that defend this land.  

Now land that has a building on it (not tubes).  The building has to be destroyed first by any means.  this also would have a percentage of success based on what you attack with and what is defending the building and land.

Offline Leviathan

Land
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 03:17:41 AM »
I do like the idea of natrual disaster's. And ill add them much later on.

Personaly i think its unrealasitic to steal land of people because if your colony is miles and miles away and you steal land from them that land is technicaly right next to their base and thats why i think its unrealasitic.

And yes you can destroyed buildings and turn the land back to clear. Also ill add options for destroying your own buildings later like in op2 to rebuild on it. And as for my super strucutre idea you wont actualy need to destory the building, just the inside of it.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Land
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 03:24:03 AM »
The stealing land Idea works like this.  I steal successfully steal a unit of land from you.  You lose that unit of land from your colony and I gain the same amount of land at my colony.

Offline Leviathan

Land
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 03:25:59 AM »
Ah i c the idea, but why would it work like that?

To gain land at your colony you need to capture it by deploying tubes and dozing the land etc ready for construction.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Land
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 03:36:28 AM »
hmmm i would have to say that you woul dhave to doze and tube to the newly accuired land and tube it as well before you could use it other wise it would like like land you can use but it wouldnt let you.

Offline Leviathan

Land
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 03:42:07 AM »
That is just what i said!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Land
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 03:48:08 AM »
hmmm i think the land that you would steal would come predozed and maybe a tube could automaticly be put down for a price after victory or the land goes null and void and both sides lose the land

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Land
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 05:01:25 PM »
hmm. im having trouble with the capturing land idea. is this game supposed to be uger realistic? if so, it wouldnt make sense that if i drive miles and miles to your land, capture it, an equivalent amount of land would suddenly appear available next to my colony. in op2 there is no real "land economy" ie: the value of land is determined by proximity to natural resources being mines and flat, open land upon which to build the colony. perhaps you could introduce and "upkeep" system into the game. the larger your base becomes, the more workers/scientists are needed to run certain structures. this would effectively limit the rate at which a colony could be built beyond a certain point. this wouldnt solve the issue of land, but it would make demand for it much lower since land requirement would drop as the cost of expanding increases. this would turn the commander toward management of what already exists in terms of structures meaning it is more cost effective to utilize what he/she already has than to expand and invest in ever-increasing cost of contruction and staffing.

as for eliminating the problem of land, in op2 eden and ply arent built right next door to eachother, theyre many hundreds or thousands of miles away. will the game reflect this? the game-world should be large enough that the likelihood of two colonies building into eachother is an ultra rarity. that is the only solution i can think of. otherwise there would have to be some sort of capture system for land.

Offline Leviathan

Land
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 05:07:33 PM »
well u dont quite understand, there is no map. you will never be building next to someone, every player is equal distance from one another. sept probly the colonys in ur own sector. there is unlimted land space.

and personaly i would like it to be realistic which is why i dont think you should be able to capture land from one another.

as for staff remember each building needs workers and scientists to run like in op2. also maybe later we could include more colonists class's, time for another thread :D

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Land
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 05:09:03 PM »
well I think op2 has a natural system for limiting coloney size, the more buildings you have, the more workers needed to man them, buildings arnt going to need more people just because you have more buildings (except mabe the CC, that I can see)

mabe instead of stealing land, you could destroy it, or render it unbuildable for a certain amount of time, like you use a dirty bomb on the land or somthing
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Leviathan

Land
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 05:15:15 PM »
nice idea.

well when your attacking you can destroy structures and they would have to rebuild them. and i might add rubble and gorf's later.

as for the cc if u looked in the buildings thread i said u will need one cc for a set amount on buildings. once u reach a high number of buildings it will be hard for one cc to keep track of everything so this is why i have done this. maybe there could be a uber cc colony hub building which you can also which is the real cc and the others r lesser ones which manage each section of the colony.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 05:16:01 PM by Leviathan »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Land
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 10:47:01 PM »
I think Lev has this nicely worked out. Stealing land sounds pretty unrealistic here. I know it's a common thing in other games, but that doesn't mean it has to be in this one.

While reading this thread I was reminded of Barren Realms Elite, where you could do chemical attacks on people for a heafty price, and it would render some of their land unuseable until they cleaned it up. I can't remember how cleanup worked though. Maybe it was you pay less than normal land, so it's worthwhile to clean up, or you can't get new land until you've cleaned up polluted areas. Or maybe it was cheaper to cleanup than to buy new land, but you didnt' get it back immediately.

And of course there is rubble from destoyed buildings. I guess that could work in a similar manner. You'd have to clear the rubble off to build on it again. Either return it to a GORF to get some of your money back, or bulldoze it and lose it.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Land
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 12:16:30 AM »
Why not steal land from your enemies it only makes sence that you would the more land you have the more net worth you become by taking land you can lower that worth.  Its just another form of attack.

Offline Leviathan

Land
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2005, 12:57:04 AM »
Freeza in all (i think) other web games like this you capture land when to have a successful attack but as Hooman says that doesn't mean it has to be in this one.

Offline lordly_dragon

Land
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2005, 08:47:38 PM »
for the natural disaster you cold do a random event manager....

like i dont know

if round=+1 (so a new round start)

then tornado=rndm 1/1000

if  torndado=1

then effect code here

if round=+1 (so a new round start)

then population= rndm 1/250

if population= 1

then population boom you gain 5% more birth this round

or you could assing 5 random number range from 1 to 1000 and you put all your effect there

population boom= 1 to 50
tornado= 510

etc....

and so one... (this code is simply scrap code that i usually use to structure my coding and put my idea clearly)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 08:49:33 PM by lordly_dragon »

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
Land
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2005, 02:16:51 AM »
each player should start off on thier own planet with its own unique life time. ie several years to 1000 years.

you get to explore the univers before you choose your planet, each solar system haveing varying difficulties . you can choose a solar system that is already inhabited by another player, with your best luck in chooseing a planet away from them so you have time to build before you have to fight them for space  

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Land
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2005, 02:53:30 AM »
NO OP1 damn it if you want a op1 game go make one

Offline Leviathan

Land
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2005, 07:06:28 AM »
It will be like other web games like SK and Dom where your all on the same planet to start off with. Possible have more planets in the solar system in a later version.

Offline Sl0vi

Land
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2006, 08:06:48 PM »
If you can't steal land from other people, then what is the point in attacking??

I never really liked the way you claim land (in space games usually asteroids) in most games. Where you start some sort of land claiming op, which costs money, and receive some land for it. I just found it boring really :/

But the thing is, these games let you steal land for a reason. Simply to give you something to fight for. If you can't steal land from other players, then there needs to be something else to encourage combat. Preferably some resource that is very valuable, and get's difficult to aquire when your colony has grown to a certain size.
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Leviathan

Land
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2006, 03:25:38 AM »
Well you can damage people if you attack them and maybe try and capture resoruses if you reach their base, im not sure.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Land
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2006, 02:28:30 PM »
Well, if your going to have this game land based, why not have a requirement that the land you can buid both have to be 1) Connected by a tube. 2) Be surrounded by a base wall.

On the other hand I think this idea would be easier:
You start out with the normal amount of Strucktures/Vehicles you do in OP2.

Then, you will have to first research Cybernetic Teleoperation. Now when this is researched and a vec fac is build you have to do the following.
1) build and send out scouts. Some % of these will find a common ore bar.
2) now you must build surveyors to "find" the ore quality of the mine locations
3) build a mine which will "automatically" deploy. However to have an operational mine, you will need both 1 smelter and 2 ore trucks to make any ore from it.

Now as your colony gets more operational mines it will cost more and more to deploy and get them operational. (I know this sounds stupid at this point but continue to read..)

Now, the reason for increasing the cost of mines, is that at some point it will be cheaper to attack other players and "Steal" their mines. And thus the game will procede to an action game instead of just a build & grow game.

There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Leviathan

Land
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2006, 02:40:44 PM »
Well as for the building on land the idea was you prepare land to build on. u use earthworkers/dozers to prepare the land then u can build it on.

in other games you explore then the land is aviable to build on.

Offline lordly_dragon

Land
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2006, 03:54:28 PM »
i play those type of game and one thing that is important i think is the possibility to be slayed. If you cannot be killed then the game is quite useless...

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.