Author Topic: Grid?  (Read 6417 times)

Offline Vexhare

Grid?
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2006, 08:20:13 PM »
Of course without grids we lose the coordinate plane... and by that I mean you can no longer have precise directions. "Yeah meet me in the middle of the uh... I can really describe it?..." Map pings might fix this... but coordinates are still essential just as well as the grid. Maybe the grid will not affect game play but we will still need the coordinates... it also would remove some of the feel of playing an OP2 style game.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Grid?
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2006, 07:22:13 AM »
grid != coordinates. Well, one does include the other, but there can be coordinates without a grid. A grid is something that everything is aligned to. We are not aligning vehicles to a grid to make them behave more realistic.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 07:23:38 AM by TH300 »

Offline Tramis

Grid?
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2006, 03:35:06 PM »
On a side note, I just had an idea. Vehicle collisions. The idea of the proximity sphere made me think that if two units collide, they should take damage. If the collision is severe enough, both units could be destroyed.

This could possibly add a new dimension to defense and combat: You have 4 laser lynxes and the enemy has a squadron of panthers. Run the lynxes right into the front line and smash up the first few panthers. The other panthers were set by the other user to use a tight proximity sphere (turn safties off). They're so close to the front line of panthers that they smack into the first damaged line before they can decellerate and stop (no reaction time, basically).

Sounds like a lot of fun to me. What do you guys think?
I think that would make less sense in the storyline, because its a survival situation, they can't just throw away their units in suicide charges like that, they need to save resources.

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Grid?
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2006, 04:41:55 PM »
Oh and by the way....

There is a grid no matter what you do. This "grid", is known as 3D Space :P. You place the terrain and all units on the terrain at certain coordinates in 3D Space.

Say the terrain is at {0,0,0}(x,y,z).
An Advanced Lab could be at {-25, 3, 56}

This means it's -25 x, 3 units up or y, and 56 units z.

So in reality, we technically have a grid already in place... but I'm assuming you guys are talking about a more precise grid that would be easier to use ingame, based on 2D coordinate plane, because there isn't really a need for a 3D Coordinate Plane in this situation...
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Grid?
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2006, 05:26:56 PM »
Yes, you shouldn't require the user to worry about elevation, just latitude / longitude like you would on the earth.

since I assume you can't stack buildings or anything crazy like that.. (in other words, two units can't occupy the same location at the same time)

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Grid?
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2006, 08:03:19 PM »
Unless you did subterranean structures like in OP1...

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Grid?
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2006, 09:17:07 PM »
Unless you did subterranean structures like in OP1...
in that case you could use "sublevels" of the parent node, (the terrain).  
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline croxis

• http://croxis.net
Grid?
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2006, 02:07:08 AM »
Or if you have flying craft =Þ
David - Proud to be saving the universe sense 1984
Open Outpost developer.  Project Page | Forum Thread

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Grid?
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2006, 10:03:57 AM »
that wouldn't be as fun, though
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
Grid?
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2006, 01:04:05 PM »
why not to make that building shall not have grids, while tubes, walls must have?
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Grid?
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2006, 01:25:13 PM »
just letting you know, suicide rams were in the op2 novella

The Scout swerved again, started heading directly toward an Eden Laser Lynx.  Its turret swung toward them and locked on.
Then Scout Two shot out of the blowing sand and crashed into the side of the Lynx, its cab crumpling flat against the armored unit.
Her eyes went wide.  "Wu!" The Scout's self-destruct mechanism fired, its volt banks shorting and discharging their energy in one explosive burst.  The Lynx was swallowed in a cloud of debris, and then they were past it, headed out on what seemed a random vector away from the truck.

I think having a chain reaction from such a tactic would be pretty cool, and would more than account for the loss of the vec
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Skydock Command

Grid?
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2006, 09:46:02 AM »
A chain reaction sounds good, but what if you were careless and acedently destroed your colony with a chain reaction?
Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.