Author Topic: Opu Icons/badges  (Read 3272 times)

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Opu Icons/badges
« on: November 24, 2005, 03:04:46 AM »
(WARNING: Long, meandering, sleep-deprived ramblings ahead!)

##########

Leviatan made a post last night outlining an idea for IBStore icons/badges. I decided this would make an excellent project to kill time with, so I started work. The first icon I made took a couple hours to come up with. I tried at least two dozen different designs before I settled on the basic design used. The first icon I made with this design was for map maker. I have decided it is the least refined of the set.

The design:
The toughest part was designing a layer system for the icons. As with every icon I make, I try to create a Representative and a Qualifier. The Representative is the front-most graphic and it visually explains to purpose of the icon. The Qualifier lies in the background behind the Representative and expresses to what degree that purpose is or if this is not required, provides an extra layer of detail.

For Example: Icons which must represent multiple ranks for a position. The representative graphic could be a reference to the duties the icon is assigned for (a keyboard for a coder, book for a writer) and the qualifier would be a simple shape or other graphic that doesnt distract from the representative but denotes rank via simple hue ratcheting. Low ranks could be green, mid ranks yellow, high ranks red.

It took me a little while to decide on the color scheme. Since there arent really that many icons and Ive only allowed myself two layers of detail, the number of color combinations isnt that high. Since the icons have to be visible when scaled down and adding too much detail would make the icons nonsensical, I decided on a small palette of colors with which to use in the layer graphics. Usually being light blue, orange or golden yellow, green and red. Any two of these colors can be combined with harmony, which allows me a fair amount of leeway but is just restrictive enough to remind me to keep it simple.

Higher OPU positions (forum admin, site admin, etc) will differ in that the background graphic (blue sphere) will change color according to position.

After the first icon was made and I decided on how I wanted to make them, each subsequent icon takes about 10-15 minutes to make. The list is halfway done and since I started working on these very late in the evening, Ill pick up on them tomorrow.

#######

I made this small sample a little while ago and I think its best for posting in the forum due to its small size until the entire set is done. After its finished and Ive sent the .rar to Lev, Ill replace the image with a sample of the entire set. If anyone finds any use for these, by all means use them! If they dont fit with with Lev's idea Ill give em to whoever wants them so just ask. Im also very open to suggestions so dont hesitate. If these look like sh** let me know so I dont keep making them! Ive got the .psd's and if anyone wants those Ill fork em over too.

1. Map Maker
2. 3D Modeler
3. Game Creator
4. Tool Programmer

I included 50% and 25% scaled versions of these so you can get an idea of what the rest will look like. I think 50% looks best.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 03:10:24 AM by dm-horus »

Offline Leviathan

Opu Icons/badges
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 06:06:41 AM »
Great work. :D

Im not sure how well mIRC, OP2 and OPU globe pics will fit in with these but maybe we can just aviode using them at all. These icons look great.

I think you should try and stick to two or more things on each icon, eg the map one has the cogs and the map. The game creator could could use something else also imo.

Maybe for irc a little screen with some courer text on it.

Also try a icon with a envlope on it.

All i can think of for now

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Opu Icons/badges
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 12:33:47 PM »
Great, keep the ideas coming! More! MORE! I used my 3d model of the conestoga for op2 and i was thinking of using the opu globe as the background on top of the blue globe thingy. Just keep in mind that i spent about 4 hours esting different setups and anything more than 2 things on an icon and you cant make anything out when you scale em down.  

Offline zhukant

Opu Icons/badges
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 08:36:30 PM »
I made a few, but they're on zzj's upload thingy. I'm on the wrong comp right now, and I don't have access to the upload thingy. Levi, could you post them for me? Thanks.
Detected rip in space-time continuum. Attempting repairs. Attempt #1 failed. Cause: unknown. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #2 failed. Cause: probe annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #3 failed. Cause: fleet annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #4 failed. Cause: 404 Could

Offline Leviathan

Opu Icons/badges
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 10:48:58 AM »
Would you be able to do the complete set? It would be great to have them all in the same style.

And im sure most people like your work, but it would be nice if they actualy posted to say so!

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
Opu Icons/badges
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 11:15:21 AM »
while your at it, why not make a "wall of rememberance" for all the op2er's who are no longer members of the forums?

speaking of which, i saw knux last week. he's doing fine for anyone who is interested. he ran an anime manga type convention type thing recently.
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Opu Icons/badges
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 08:34:27 PM »
Icons look very good. But I was expecting a bit smaller. Maybe 24x24, or even 16x16.

32x32 seems a bit big to go in the left side of a post.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Opu Icons/badges
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 05:33:19 PM »
yes, i do not know about the size. i did tests with sizes like 24x24, 16x16 and i found that there is simply not enough area available to make distinguishing between icons possible. theyre just too small to make sense. the minimum amount of layers required for making all the icons lev listed is 2. one to identify, one to modify. at smaller sizes i would be limited to a single layer and at such a small size, i would be limited to a very low mumber of pixels in which to describe the icon. when i used the area available to me, i found the level of detail required to flesh out the meaning of the icon is beyond the space provided. Thus, i made all my icons scalable down to 32x32. I could work on icons that are much smaller but they wouldnt look as good, wouldnt have any of the detail present in the ones Ive got now and would have to be done in a different style, ie line style. Lev specified he wanted to some icons to have the OPU globe in the background and at anything less than 32x32, that isnt possible.

I can work up some smaller icons and see what i can do if you would like. Just keep in mind they wont look as pretty.

Offline Leviathan

Opu Icons/badges
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 05:42:29 PM »
doing them 200x200 is good. i think we can have them as 32x32 on the user account page and 16x16 under ur name on the left.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Opu Icons/badges
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 06:18:03 PM »
yup. it doesnt have to be all that hi quality next to the user's name. if anyone cant understand it, give it a click and it links to userinfo with a bigger version of the icon.

Offline Leviathan

Opu Icons/badges
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 07:28:17 PM »
how r they going horus?

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Opu Icons/badges
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 08:13:28 AM »
when my hdd crashed i lost all data elements having to do with these icons. i just started working on a new template and i think losing the old ones was for the better. i can already tell that the new set im working on look MUCH better. i dont know if they will be ready for reunion.

Offline Leviathan

Opu Icons/badges
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 08:52:22 AM »
great that u can resume work on this project :D

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Opu Icons/badges
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 01:14:19 PM »
oh yes, great work, Horus!

keep working on them.