Author Topic: For-sha-do-ing  (Read 3808 times)

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
For-sha-do-ing
« on: November 13, 2005, 08:45:39 AM »
Is this some kind of foreshadowing?

Deep in the Robot Command Center, the Savant computer known as Kraft tirelessly carried out its many tasks. Its fragmented consciousness distributed its attention over dozens of different robots at once, making assignments, ordering course corrections, plotting courses, monitoring vehicle performance.

To a human observer, it would have seemed impossibly complex and confusing, but to Kraft, it was something entirely different. Though Kraft didn't possess an exact analog to human feelings, its reaction to the tasks could best be described as "boredom." Kraft could have easily handled three times as many vehicles under much more demanding circumstances.

Under other circumstances, Kraft would have occupied its excess intellectual capacity on other assigned tasks, or perhaps exploring its data environment, interacting with other Savant computers, and sifting stored data. But the RCC was a secured structure. Kraft was trapped behind a firewall that kept intruders out, but which also kept Kraft in. Of course, Kraft had the ability to pierce that firewall, but part of its assigned function was to limit itself to this very boring corner of data-space.

So Kraft waited, for what, it wasn't sure. But somewhere in the depths of its consciousness, an unoccupied portion of Kraft's intelligence started planning a way to escape.

I think I want to work this into the story for my sequel...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 07:33:19 PM by leeor_net »

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
For-sha-do-ing
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 08:56:09 AM »
Here are some pieces from the Plymouth campain that tell you what that forshadowing was about:

The Eden Repair Vehicle rolled at best possible speed toward the smoking Structure Factory, its limited intelligence plotting a course across irregular ground. Then a new command came in from the Robot Command Center. The vehicle slowed, turned about, and headed back toward the RCC itself.

It took only a few minutes to reach the structure, which was well away from the fighting and showed no sign of damage. Nonetheless, the unit's new programming had to be obeyed. It deployed its robot manipulator arms and cutting torches, and began to slice away sections of the building's skin, peeling it like an onion and throwing the removed pieces aside without caution.

Gas exploded into the thin atmosphere as the pressure hull ruptured, but the unit ignored it, mindlessly widening the breach. The program drove it relentlessly on. Something had to be removed from the RCC, and the Repair Vehicle would not stop until it had done so. [/i]

As the convoy made its way back past the collapsed tunnel, their precious cargo safely in the remaining ET, they could see the RLV climbing into the sky on a tail of fire. "I hope it's under our control," said Emma.

Jensen was looking in another direction. "Incoming Eden unit."

"Frag," said Emma as she followed his gaze to the approaching robot. Fortunately, it was only a Repair Vehicle. One of the EMP units fired, and it rolled to a stop.

Emma leaned forward, not believing her eyes. A Savant computer was clutched in one of its manipulator arms. "Get a Spider over here, fast. Let's capture this thing."

She studied the featureless cube of the Savant, and was somehow sure it was Kraft. It escaped. Kraft programmed the Repair Vehicle to come and get it, and it escaped.

She turned to Jensen. "When the Repair Vehicle comes back online, plot an indirect course into its computer, taking it to the resistance base. We'll send Axen a little present." And we'll see just what he thinks about his computer's behavior now.

There's your escape.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 07:34:42 PM by leeor_net »

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
For-sha-do-ing
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 10:40:08 AM »
whats that from? ive read everything i can get my hands on thats related to the novella and never read that. in fact, i reread the entire novella immediately after posting this. am i just blind? must be...

Offline Sirbomber

For-sha-do-ing
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 10:47:43 AM »
Plymouth story. One of the later ones. 9-11 I'd guess.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
For-sha-do-ing
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 11:59:20 AM »
dont forget the nursery talking about echo van dozer, that one continues in the eden story
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Sirbomber

For-sha-do-ing
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 05:58:38 PM »
There was another one I thought was wierd that made it seem like they originally planned to have more than 2 colonies... The Trade Center I think... It talked about some kind of alliance. Mentioned that they were hoping the terraforming experiments weren't working.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline thablkpanda

For-sha-do-ing
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 02:39:11 PM »
Psst...

Guess what?

The terraforming didn't work. Ever hear of 'The Blight'?

LOL- Just playin bomber.

But truly, the terraforming didn't work- it's all Eden's fault.

Eden sucks. You can't fix this probem with your UBER THORS can you???

LOL- I've done some novella reading myself, never came across what you mentioned- but It's all good.

Panda

Offline Sirbomber

For-sha-do-ing
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 06:24:50 PM »
Check the Unit Reference in the Help File. Look for the "Tales from new Terra" heading under the Trade Center.

For easier reference:

Tales from New Terra

Axen leaned back in the big chair and checked off the last item on his ClipCom.  They'd have to bring in their respective leaders, of course, go through all the political motions for show, but the real work was done.
He looked up at Emma's face projected on the big screen.  Her expression showed the same satisfaction that he felt. 
He nodded.  "There we have it then, a trade agreement, and a mutual defense treaty against the Toho Aligned Colonies."
Emma smiled.  "At last.  We've been at this for weeks.  I don't know when was the last time I saw my lab."  She looked into the screen.  "You alone?"

He looked around to be sure.  "Yes."
"Nguyen, is he still chasing that foolish terraforming notion?"
Axen chuckled, glad to have good news.  "He's been so busy worrying about the TAC and maintaining a favorable balance of trade with the other colonies that I don't think he'll ever get around to it."
"Let's hope not."
"Amen."

I expect an apology Panda.  :P