Author Topic: The Old Become New  (Read 1911 times)

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
The Old Become New
« on: November 04, 2005, 05:03:00 AM »
Hey there!! Some of you have prolly seen me on irc the past few days as DM|Horus. I first started playing OP2 the year it was released back in '97. I played on WON quite a bit and developed my distaste for rush-type games here. After the multiplayer networks went down I assumed it was over and I quit playing. My disk got damaged and I couldnt even play colony games. I found OPU while it was still under development. I downloaded OP2 and have been lurking around the site since and have been on the boards under several usernames (dont worry Im not a jackass) but as I wasnt really into the community I forgot the logins and simply left it at that. OPUIRC has actually been sitting on my comp for months and I only just decided to use it. Ive made a few friends and have had some realy great games so far. I am excited and looking for more. Im really glad to see the genious of OP2 wasnt lost on others as there seems to be a healthy dev team at work. Good job, guys!

On IRC youll recognise me as the guy who doesnt rush. I always play "colony builder" type games where all players join a large map (Around the World) and simply build bases. These can go on for up to 6 hours until we all get tired of repairs and decide to duke it out. I prefer drawn-out strategic games so if anyone else sounds interested, PM me or find me on IRC!!! I also have many views and strategies for playing OP2 as this game was my introduction to RTS style gaming. Some may have noticed my pages-long "lectures" on defenses, attacking, misinformation to opponents and enclosure. Dont hesitate to ask for more.

I am an amateur graphic/web designer so if anyone needs anything done, hit me up. I have also been designing maps for RTS games for years, so if you need help or ideas let me know! (I aint no programmer so if it has no GUI to speak of... well, its best just not to bother)  :P  
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 05:14:27 AM by dm-horus »

Offline Leviathan

The Old Become New
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 06:52:33 AM »
great to have you with us :D

glad u finaly decided to come back to the great game

well there are people who play all sorts of game types so enjoy!

im sure ur love op2 mapping so i suggest u get into it :)

welcome

Offline spirit1flyer

The Old Become New
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 09:11:26 AM »
glad to have you show your face around here again :)

those are the  type of games I like but I don't have the time and my router has its set of problems  <_<

spirit
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline Sl0vi

The Old Become New
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 03:01:23 PM »
Welcome :)

Glad to see you decided to become an active part of the community.

I'm not much into long games myself, but I'm sure you'll find others here that like them :)
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
The Old Become New
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 05:03:37 PM »
Hello, nice you have you here.

Offline thablkpanda

The Old Become New
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 10:03:10 PM »
Horus, we're going to become new best friends..

LOL No really, I can't stand rush games, seems to me like people that play and 'get it over with' kind of deal. If I'm going to play a game, I want to have fun with it, and as long as possible if possible :D.

It's hard to find people like us on OPU, there's the chosen few, then the smaller chosen few that aren't having router issues or w/e.

I'll be on in a few days, after I get done with payroll, invoicing, and a few estimates, but after all hell breaks loose- i'll be up for a game or two at least.

Christopher Merchant a.k.a. Thablkpanda
Merchant Enterprises

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
The Old Become New
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 12:20:57 AM »
Welcome to OPU DM!!

Check out the projects and get a game going sometime... I would play but i'm quite busy as you may know already....  :unsure:   :o   ;)

Cya on IRC!!! B)

Stormy :op2:
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Sirbomber

The Old Become New
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 04:38:58 PM »
Long games give me time to build spaceships for no reason!
It's very fun.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
The Old Become New
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 07:45:04 PM »
Glad to have another excited, fresh young user aboard! (well, I don't really know how old you are but I guess what I mean by 'young' is your active time on IRC/Forums).

Anyway, I want to let you in on a little-known secret of OPU: I've been doing some preliminary work on my own and with Hooman and I've got plans to one day create a new WON/SIGS server type deal under the name of Outpost Universe Opponent Network (OPUON). My project (Outpost: Missing in Action) and another project that I'm involved in (Outpost 3: Genesis) will make full utilization of OPUON and I'm hoping to somehow hook OP2's SIGS/WON code into OPU:ON's protocalls... essentially OPUON will take the place of SIGS/WON.

Either way, it's an exciting prospect and I'm hoping to have something ready to go at some point in the very near future.

Welcome home!