Author Topic: Dynamic Dns  (Read 2984 times)

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Dynamic Dns
« on: October 18, 2005, 07:04:29 PM »
I am pleased to announce that we can now offer Dynamic DNS as another one of our services to full OPU members.

Dynamic DNS simply assigns your (dynamic) IP a hostname, such as yourname.users.outpostuniverse.net.

This way in games and elsewhere you no longer have to give out your IP, just give out your OPU dynamic DNS hostname!

The OPU dynamic DNS system supports A, NS, and MX DNS records. This means that not only is it possible to make a hostname that points to your IP address, you can also point your hostname to your own DNS server, if you run one, and also forward all email (whatever@yourname.users.outpostuniverse.net) to your own mail server if you happen to have one.

You can check out the system at
http://dyndns.users.outpostuniverse.net/

If you are a regular OPU member, and you would like to get an OPU dynamic DNS account, simply contact Leviathan or myself either via forum PM or on IRC, and we'll set you up with an account.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 07:08:31 PM by op2hacker »

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Dynamic Dns
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 09:15:56 PM »
Awesome, so does this mean I can host even though ISP says I'm not allowed to? :lol: Nah I won't get myself into trouble by breaking the rules my ISP set. But this will let me use that thing instead of an IP address?

If so, cool. Sign me up!
Stormy :op2:
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Leviathan

Dynamic Dns
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 09:15:49 AM »
Great work!

Yea Stormy, people can use stormy.users.outpostuniverse.net intead of your ip.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Dynamic Dns
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 01:49:34 PM »
It won't open ports or solve any port problems at all. i.e. if your ISP blocks port 80 this isn't going to help you open port 80 in any way.

As for hosting stuff that your ISP won't want you to, it won't save you there either.

All it's doing is giving you an A record in our dns system so everytime someone enters something like stormy.users.outpostuniverse.net, they hit our DNS servers and your IP address gets looked up.
(This doesn't prevent people from doing a lookup and getting your IP address either)

Surfing to your IP address is no different than surfing to your dynamic dns name. (In fact the dyndns may be slightly slower because a DNS lookup has to be performed)
The main reason is where you have a dynamic IP address, like on most DSL and dial ups, you can have a permanent name for people to reference your computer by (or at least a more memorable one), provided you keep your record updated.

It's nothing more than an alias, so it has no magic characteristics to it.

BTW -- To learn how to update your record automatically read the Help section on the dyndns system.

Offline thablkpanda

Dynamic Dns
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 04:16:57 PM »
Interesting.

Sorta like what no-ip.com does? Except with a MUCH longer name? :D

Just playin hacker- I'd suggest OPU purchasing another domain name- like opu.net or something waaaayyy shorter. That'd be much easier to type:

hacker.users.opu.net

or

hacker.users.outpostuniverse.net (ouch)

LOL.. whatever. I'm gonna point one of my subdomains to my IP soon, so I wanted to tell someone that OPU should have a service like this, but someone thought of it before I got to tell anyone- I'll be...

game.thablkpanda.com

wheras thablkpanda.com is my current site :D

Panda - Out