Author Topic: Outpost 2 Survivor  (Read 18601 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2005, 05:35:14 PM »
Yeah. If every player needed the same piece of wreckage to win, only one person could win. If there were multiple pieces, who's to say that player 1 won't get piece #1, player 3 won't get piece #2, etc...
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2005, 05:58:27 PM »
I was thinking, everyone has their own piece of wreakage. Mabe it isn't wreakage, it could be a base that you have to use scouts to look into advanced labs.

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2005, 08:53:48 PM »
That could work, but what if it was overun by the blight or destroyed before you could get to it?  :(  
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2005, 03:51:19 AM »
You could have it so that on the map, the complete spaceship is located all around on the map.

That way the players can get as many pieces as possible to help them out, but don't NEED 1 spaceship component to actually win.

Eden RLV's might also be captured..
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2005, 07:19:52 AM »
That could work, but what if it was overun by the blight or destroyed before you could get to it?  :(
Limit the blight's growth so it can't reach the pieces.

This could be accomplished by checking it's proximity to the pieces (or just time it) and when it gets close, set its speed to zero which stops it.

Or you could check for and turn off the blight bit on the tiles (it's part of the cell type) so the blight wouldn't "exist" where the pieces are. However, you'd have to make sure there was a valid path to the piece from the player.

Also in response to earlier post: I think blight can overrun the lava.. Not certain but I'm pretty sure.

It might be beneficial to have combat in the mission. eg, prevent people from getting wreckage, or whatever.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 07:21:09 AM by op2hacker »

Offline zigzagjoe

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2005, 08:08:51 AM »
No, in plym colony 2, the blight stops at the lava. not like it'ld matter if it was infected with blight, as nothing could be there b/c of the lava.

Yeah, combat would be nice.

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2005, 02:10:09 PM »
I don't know, I think having combat would take away from it being a survivor map to being just a LoS/LR/SR map rolled into one. The point of the map is to survive, not destroy.  <_<

Remember, the Allies and the Soviet Union sided to destroy Nazi Germany. People know when it's time to put aside their differences so that they can all survive.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2005, 04:39:57 PM »
Yeah, blight and lava are mutually exclusive. I've noticed that blight stops at lava before. So it's entirely possible to use lava to limit blight growth. Also, both lava and blight expansion share a certain bit in the tile data that controls their growth, so there is no way for the game to properly keep track of both of them expanding to the same tile.

Remember, the Allies and the Soviet Union sided to destroy Nazi Germany. People know when it's time to put aside their differences so that they can all survive.
... or when Nazi Germany was allied with the Soviet Union.  :blink:  

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2005, 05:50:38 PM »
so is that a bug?

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2005, 06:09:07 PM »
The soviets never allied with Germany, they just saigned a nonaggression pact
(in other words they wouldn't kill each other so Stalin could cower in the corner  :P )

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2005, 06:51:20 PM »
so is that a bug?
The blight not liking the lava? I'd think not. Living cells arn't going to survive on lava.

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2005, 08:13:10 PM »
Exactly.
But anyways, what to you want? Blight-infected lava? Isn't that like shooting a person in the face and then stabbing them to make sure they're dead?  :P  

Offline Tellaris

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2005, 11:10:09 PM »
Blight does not cross over lava tiles.   If its growth is set fast enough, apparently it CAN skip over the lava (if its one tile wide, this is entirely possible!)   Saw it happen on one of the Eden missions.   I was "Aww cool!   Then...   Aww, f***!"
On that particular mission, you can hide from the blight for about 100 marks longer.   But the ore cost is considerable to move up there, however, you ARE close to the tripple.   So, depends if you can do it fast enough and efficently enough to win.
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2005, 11:36:57 PM »
what about spaces on the map, where the blight expandes very slowly, I remember from the noliva, that there were parts of the planet like that

so they would be safe from the blight for a long while, but would have very crappy ore
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2005, 07:14:06 AM »
Hmm... I'll check that, but I didn't notice terrain having a major impact on blight growth. (Then again, I did set it really slow.)

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2005, 07:33:48 AM »
Yes, I built a tube and put an agridome on one end of it. When the blight touched it, it trippled its speed. It seemed to slow down later though. Also, my argridome worked through the blight.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2005, 09:31:43 AM »
Yes, I built a tube and put an agridome on one end of it. When the blight touched it, it trippled its speed. It seemed to slow down later though. Also, my argridome worked through the blight.
What do you mean? you built a tube with a cc on one end and an agridome on the other end and when the blight went over the tube (but not yet over the cc and the agridome) the agridome was still operational?

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2005, 09:36:16 AM »
Yes, and the blight went much faster.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 09:36:33 AM by Mcshay »

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2005, 12:04:24 PM »
weard, but I guess the game dosnt have a disable tube command, so I dont know
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2005, 06:08:32 PM »
Yeah, the blight moves at different speeds on different terrain. You'll notice it moves slower over cliffs. It kinda ends up spilling over them actually. It can look pretty cool. And yeah, it'll travel faster on dirt than on rock. So if you build on lava rock, the blight will expand slower there, but then the volcano wipes you out.  <_<

I actually played around with this once and took some screenshots of it. I'd set the normal terrain to be impassible to the blight.
Blight Images Here

Note that there is a "wall" of dirt around the middle left section of the map. Blight still managed to expand to this area by expanding off the left edge of the map. Internally, the game has a padding of tiles on either the left or right side of the map. These tiles can still be affected by the blight and allow it to grow further along the map.

Oh, and as you can see, I'd found a way to prevent blight from expanding to certain tiles. The edges are kinda solid and ugly though.

If you're wondering about that "river" one, those tiles are actually marked to be the dirt tiles, even though they look largely like rock. All those transition tiles from dirt to rock seemed to have been marked as dirt tiles. Also note that there are two types of dirt. One type has a ruff surface, kinda like mini dunes. I didn't modify that passability for blight on those tiles, which is why you see blight on some dirt tiles, but not on most.

The cliff picture is just what happens naturally. I didn't do any modifications to those tile types.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that both tubes and bulldozed terrains have relatively high bilght spread speeds, as do walls (except microbe). There is some natural terrain with this same spread speed, but nothing higher. Microbe walls have a spread speed of about half of this. So..., it would be possible to pave a highway for the blight. Could make for an interesting multiplayer tactic to build a road to your opponents base. Bulldozers in the night!  :ph34r:

« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 06:14:54 PM by Hooman »

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2005, 06:49:09 PM »
Biological warfare... Hmmm...  :o
This could be very interesting...

Anyways, I've got a basic start, don't know what people will think of it though.
The black/neutral/whatever player starts with a big base with a command cetner, factories, labs, nurseries, unis, reses, etc. (IE the main Eden colony) Then there are the human players, mining outposts in relative proximity (not too close, not too far) to the main base.
Player's Base/Resources Setup:
Always:
Command Center
Structure Factory
Common Ore Smelter and Mine
Agridome
Tokamak
2000 Food/Metal
Trucks/Convecs
Surveyor
Earthworker
Dozer
Miner
No Research

Easy/High Resources:
Extra Agridome
3000 Extra Metal/Food
ConVecs already loaded with most (if not all) structure kits needed for evac
Two Residences
Extra Earthworker
Two extra miners
20 Kids, 20 Workers, 15 Scientists

Medium/Medium Resources
CC, Struct Factory, Common Ore Smelter already loaded in Convec
1000 extra Food/Metal
Residence
One extra miner
15 Kids, 15 Workers, 15 Scientists

Hard/Low Resources
Minimum number of vehicles required to evacuate six structure kits (cc, sfac,comsmelt,tok,agri,basic lab), 2000 common metals, and 2000 units of food
15 Kids, 15 Workers, 10 Scientists

Extra: Possible Low Resources Set-up
Your initial base (before meteor owns the adv lab) starts in convecs. Metals are in trucks, food in storage so you don't starve. Not sure about this one though, since then you could just flee at the start. But then you'd probably starve to death.

At mark (X), a huge meteor hits the lone Advanced Lab in the main base, it blows up, "Blight is approaching!", "New mission objective", relocate and establish a new colony site. At mark (Y), minor earthquakes happen, and small volcanoes begin to errupt. At mark (Z), quakes/erruptions get worse/more frequent, blight spread increases, storms/vortexes. Everything continues to worsen until Mark (A), when you get the Starship Objectives and the Space Program research. From that point on, everything gets much worse until you either escape the planet or melt into a puddle of goo. Don't let this happen to you. (rhyme all the time ;) )

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2005, 07:25:03 PM »
Nice. I'll have to finish my world map design sometime.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 07:26:06 PM by Mcshay »

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2005, 07:38:28 PM »
Now that I think about it though, there'll have to be some kind of "designated evac time" where there aren't any disasters or something. It wouldn't be very fun if your entire convey was destroyed by a meteor while you were going to a new site...   :(

Then again, I suppose somebody would be willing to give them some stuff to stay in the game. I can't really make the game fail you if you don't have a cc since you won't have one for half the game anyways!  ;)  
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 07:39:22 PM by Sirbomber »

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2005, 07:51:22 PM »
I don't think the game should be that easy, just keep your base online and move earlier. You will feel a greater sence of accomplishment if you have to work harder to win.

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2005, 09:32:30 PM »
Hey, hacker (or whomever), we were testing this out and it looks like only one person can get the objective to check off for launching the spaceship parts.
Is this a bug or did I just screw up again?
Not like it'd be hard to work-around, just make the only objective "Evacuate 200 colonists".
But still, if it's a bug and can be easily fixed, that'd be great.