Author Topic: Units  (Read 25005 times)

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Units
« on: October 04, 2005, 05:32:54 PM »
Got any ideas for units and stuff? Post it here, when we release the novella we will see if it fits with the Novella, and if it does, We might just include it :)
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline spirit1flyer

Units
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 07:50:02 PM »
hovercrafts of some sort. maybe a invisible tiger, panther.. that can only be seen by a scout or when they attack
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline Sirbomber

Units
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 07:56:23 PM »
I've always thought some kinda of mobile solar panel thing wuold be great. It wouldn't produce a lot of power (100 or so) but it could be very useful.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Stormy

Units
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 08:26:05 PM »
I've always thought some kinda of mobile solar panel thing wuold be great. It wouldn't produce a lot of power (100 or so) but it could be very useful.
I really like the idea of that, hmm on Hovercrafts though, that seems a little.... strange....Like making it "invisible".

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Units
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 08:41:17 PM »
The invisible bit is not completely rediculous. The military is developing a type of 'cloaking' device that uses fiber optics to make one side of a particular ground vehicle 'blend' what the scenery behind it (basically, you can face the vehicle one way or the other because the image of what's on one side of the vehicle is visible on the other side of the vehicle).

I don't think that would really work though for an RTS view but it is certainly an idea.

There is going to be one flying unit in the game which is used for a particluar purpose. Hovercrafts wouldn't work too well on rocky grounds so I'm going to pass on that...

Hrmmm...

Mobile solar power... What would that be used for?

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Units
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 08:42:38 PM »
What about some sort of mobile CC, where you could deploy it on the tube next to the building, but only lets you run that one building. It could be an interesting way of rebuilding an old base, or keeping in the game after a major disaster or attack. Just keep one hiding in a garage somewhere.

Also, I think landrush games in OP2 require way too many ConVecs. You have a ton of them just sitting around after putting your base up. It's be nice if you could have some sort of cargo carrier for things like kits/ore/food. Sorta like a large cargo truck, or a small structure factory that can only store and not build anything. I guess if you go with the structure factory idea, then when you deploy your base, you can use this as a partially built structure factory to get your base up quicker.

And what about communication posts? Instead of building a tube all the way to another base, maybe just put up directional antennas/dishes that can link one point to another. (This kinda reminds me of what laser GPs look like). Then you can actually reasonably run satellite bases or mining outposts without having to spend a fortune on multiple CCs or tubes (which also take a while to build). Mind you, you lose the resource sharing through tubes idea, but since you can share resources in OP2 between distant bases anyways, are we really losing much here? So yeah, just have a tube from the CC to a post, wireless link to another post, and then tubes from that post to the buildings.

You also get the added tactic of taking out your opponents communication posts instead of just going for their CC. Plus, it takes a post on either end to be operational, so they have 2 weak points for you to target.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 08:43:40 PM by Hooman »

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
Units
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 08:55:12 PM »
More cool ideas. I'm liking the creative juices that are flowing!

I was thinking to fall back a bit on OP1 in the terms of resource management. Each CC was its own colony and had its own resource supply. I think this may also be the case if you have a full-out CC.

The limited structure factory could easily be turned into the Warehouse from OP1 which house anything that wasn't a luxury item or a resource. You could, in essence, build warehouses that could hold lets say 12 structure kits. So you build two of them. Now you can transfer the SK's from the SF to the WH. After you fill up both WH's, you still have the 6 slots in the SF.

ponders

Yep, definatly like the ideas running around here... :D

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Units
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 09:07:10 PM »
seed/robo coloney

I dont feel like posting the huge amounts of info on that unit, but if youve been here long, you know about it, and how ive pushed for it in every single new op game

just do a forum search for the robo/seed coloney
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
Units
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 09:51:13 PM »
Monkey Powered Emp Missles of doom!

kind of liek the soviets did only not with a dog and they didnt have emp...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 09:51:40 PM by HaXtOr »

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
Units
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 10:11:08 PM »
Um... let's keep these posts to real things please. Filtering through Moogle and CCtoide's posts can be tedious at best.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Units
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 04:23:29 AM »
I like the warehouse-idea. Build a StructureKit in any sf and load it into a convec at the warehouse. this way the player won't have to build new SFs at the margin of a fast expanding Colony all the time.

Hovercrafts don't fit in the Outpost world. They are probably not stable enough to resist the strong natural forces on New Terra or the other planet.

Communication posts.. probably

OP1 resource management system:
that would make setup of an outpost much harder since not only structurekits would have to be brought to the new location, but also enough ore to use a structure/vehicle factory. Not every outpost is a mining-outpost and not always are both ores available at a mining outpost.

less convecs in LR-missions:
just start with as few structurekits as possible. you don't really need a standard Lab at the very beginning.
Nevertheless, I like the idea of a vehicle that can only store but not build. Though it shouldn't store more than 2-3 kits. Maybe have the storage-vehicle dock on the convec somehow to transfer kits.

cloaking devices (if we add them) should be really expensive and limited to a NEW vehicle type (not that the player can build loads of cloak-tigers. that wouldn't be fun at all)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Units
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 11:04:43 PM »
I'd really like to see the cargo-train that is on the Divine Order Modifications page in the game.  That was an awesome idea.  Just make it so you have to research special smelters that are adapted to them.  First you research the cargo-train, then the smelter.  To make it so that it doesn't throw the game out of balance, make it as slow as a tiger.  It has the advantage of carrying the ore of multiple trucks, but at the cost to speed.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Stormy

Units
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 11:31:31 PM »
o.0 Could you add a link to your post CK9, I honestly have no clue what you are talking about :lol:

Offline gamerscd0

Units
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 07:05:13 AM »
I was thinking we sould probaly use a new ore system because its a new planet

Offline Leviathan

Units
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 07:12:36 AM »
I think it would be a good idea to look at other games (mainly sci fi game i gess) and c what unit ideas there are.

But the units in op3 must be outpost like of chorse.

Id like to c the cargo truck train!

Here is the mods page from my old clan site:
mods.html

Yea a mobile CC type thing could be very good. I love them in C&C games.

Id like to c a large transport, well maybe a few transports. For vecs. Flying vecs. Knux made a pic of one and it looked good. Dam where is that pic?

I dont realy think res should be splt up between colonys etc. There should just be the one ore counter you have.

Good ideas :)

Edit - Woot! My 2000th post :D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 07:45:33 AM by Leviathan »

Offline Stormy

Units
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2005, 10:40:46 PM »
I don't like the idea of that; When the planets are formed, they are a HUGE mixture of gases and other elements. They harden/begin to 'orbit' around an object, and eventually create a planet.

The ores in the planet all came from what? The same gas cloud that "Bob" was created from. So, I don't really think that would work because of the above, and that it would make it a bit more confusing, However, we might have a different 'look' of the ore... in its 'texture' (like if it's bumpy or not... etc)

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Units
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2005, 11:14:54 PM »
do I have to paste my robo/seed coloney description again?
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Units
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2005, 02:33:38 AM »
I saw an interesting idea in Pax Imperia:Immenent Domain. It was more like interplanetary war than OP2 style, but the way the ships were setup was damn cool. Basically each hull type (combat chasis type for OP2 I guess?) had so much room to pack systems into. You could research the hull types, the weapon types, defensive techs, etc. and then pack whatever would fit into whatever hull types you had available. Each component would of course add to the build cost. So yeah, it allowed for highly customizable units which was a lot of fun. Also, if there is a particular situation you needed to deal with, you could custom tailor a unit to handle it.

The only problem with that idea, is it took a while to design ships, and there wasn't really any way of keeping an eye on the game while you were doing it. I can't imagine taking time out in a real time strategy game to design the units you wanted to build. But maybe if the idea was modified a little so certain defaults were always available (and good ones that people would actually want to use frequently) so designing your own wasn't necessary. Also, it'd be cool if you could design units before game time and just have them stored. Then once you've researched all the techs in the game, it would become available for building.

Probably a little too much work to do something like this, and maybe a little hard to incorporate it into an Outpost style game. (Although, Pax was real-time strategy, just a bit of a slower paced game for the most part.) But hey, it's still a cool idea if you wanted to consider it.

The cargo train idea sounds kinda cool. Although, it'd have to be done so the volume of ore it hauled made up for it's lack of speed. If it moves 3 times slower, it's gonna need to haul more than 3 times the ore to make it worth while to use one.

I don't think I much like the idea of cloakable units. Granted, I had some fun with them in C&C, but I'm not so sure they'd fit well with Outpost2. Maybe if you went with something like camaflouged units instead? Kinda like the cammo pillboxes in C&C Red Alert. You could see them if you were really looking for them, but they didn't appear on the mini map and were hard for your opponents to see on the main view.

Oh, and what about turrets embedded in cliff walls? Make them have a limited arc they could rotate around limiting their angle of fire based on the orientation of the cliff. You could also limit the elevation they could aim at, so they would be useless against targets that were too close. They'd be useful for doing damaged to heavy armoured vehicles approaching, but onces they got in too close, the turrets would be useless. I guess I've always just been a little dissapointed with how weak the GPs in OP2 were.

Offline Leviathan

Units
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2005, 04:41:14 AM »
sounds good hooman.

I liked the turrets and gates in walls in c&c tib sun. it could be good for outpost maybe. base defences are cool :o

id like to see a spider type unit which was a repair robot which services the colony. it should be smaller than the spiders and probly faster. it would climb on the buildings to repair them. think of the repair bots in star wars..

there cant be too much variation in the units and teams and there cant be too many units on offer. the teams must be balanced.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Units
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2005, 07:18:44 AM »
I saw an interesting idea in Pax Imperia:Immenent Domain. It was more like interplanetary war than OP2 style, but the way the ships were setup was damn cool. Basically each hull type (combat chasis type for OP2 I guess?) had so much room to pack systems into. You could research the hull types, the weapon types, defensive techs, etc. and then pack whatever would fit into whatever hull types you had available. Each component would of course add to the build cost. So yeah, it allowed for highly customizable units which was a lot of fun. Also, if there is a particular situation you needed to deal with, you could custom tailor a unit to handle it.
yea, that'd be great in OP3. And I'm sure we can make an editor that works outside the actual game.

The cargo train idea sounds kinda cool. Although, it'd have to be done so the volume of ore it hauled made up for it's lack of speed. If it moves 3 times slower, it's gonna need to haul more than 3 times the ore to make it worth while to use one.
more than 3 times the ore wouldn't be realistic, because it has also only 3 times the volume. We could probably make it faster than 3 times slower. I'm however not sure, if this unit is necessary.

Offline Sirbomber

Units
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2005, 08:10:52 AM »
I don't like the idea of that; When the planets are formed, they are a HUGE mixture of gases and other elements. They harden/begin to 'orbit' around an object, and eventually create a planet.

The ores in the planet all came from what? The same gas cloud that "Bob" was created from. So, I don't really think that would work because of the above, and that it would make it a bit more confusing, However, we might have a different 'look' of the ore... in its 'texture' (like if it's bumpy or not... etc)
Metal is still metal. Unless it's some previously undiscovered element, metals will be the same from planet to planet.
Two general types of ore are known, each made from a soup of various metals.  The first is simply called Common Ore, and it is rich in lighter metals such as aluminum, titanium, magnesium, yttrium, and chromium, as well as a few common heavier metals like copper and iron.  So-called Rare Ores are rich in heavier metals including radioactives.  Metals in this group include gold, silver, lead, cobalt, nickel, palladium, osmium, platinum, cadmium, zinc, mercury, thorium, and uranium. 
(Outpost 2 Help File- Common/Rare Ore Smelter Unit Reference)
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Stormy

Units
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2005, 03:21:27 PM »
That's basically what I was saying... but in different words.. Thanks Sirbomber :)

Offline omagaalpha

Units
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2005, 08:08:10 PM »

Two general types of ore are known, each made from a soup of various metals.  The first is simply called Common Ore, and it is rich in lighter metals such as aluminum, titanium, magnesium, yttrium, and chromium, as well as a few common heavier metals like copper and iron.  So-called Rare Ores are rich in heavier metals including radioactives.  Metals in this group include gold, silver, lead, cobalt, nickel, palladium, osmium, platinum, cadmium, zinc, mercury, thorium, and uranium. 
(Outpost 2 Help File- Common/Rare Ore Smelter Unit Reference)
has did not know that what common and rare ore emnt I thought made it up lol.
Here is idea that better then train-cargo vehicle.  Special tube that has a belt on that carry ore to smelter. so no need for peroid gain in resource hehehe. Advange is one cost buildsection plus amount lenth for it.  Amount that it tranfered also allow balance.(must be connect smelter directly to work)
Option plus idea for my idea: is that as you build tube can special vehicle tap into it for cargo vehicle to unload into it and it to tranfer to smelter.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 08:13:20 PM by omagaalpha »
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Units
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2005, 03:29:59 AM »
The hard part with the tube idea is setting up the ore-gain timing to keep it from being a situation where you always have full metals no matter what.  The thing with the cargo truck is that you have to have a mini-stratedgy with that.  You need to figgure out what your ore needs will be, how many mines, smelters, and trucks that will take, and you need to be able to defend it against players who target your reasources.  With the tube, you take a good portion of that away, as you no longer have units directly in the equation, only structures.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Units
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2005, 11:35:24 AM »
1.  A mobile anti emp missile.  Found only on the Tiger because the size of the missile required would kill a lynx and panther.  It only capable of firing at incoming missiles not other units.  Mostly a Eden unit its not really a weapon more of a anti weapon.  MAEM Tiger is the only name I can think of.

2.  A Artillery Unit some thing that has the same or less amount of armore as a lynx but is slower then a tiger.   Capable of firing at long ranges but in long intervals.  But I dont see a the normal attack units being capable of using this weapon so a new platform would need to be created specifically for the large adjustable cannon is uses.  Now its not like there would be emp sticky thors hammer variations of this unit.  Its simply fires a High Explosive shell in a Arching style to smite the enemy.  Puma Artillery Unit.

3.  A exposive aracnid unit.  Like a starflare but not as powerful.  Now its not really an aracnid but I see a crab because it would use its pincers to latch on to a unit then explode.  Crab Ready lol.

4.  Newer version of the trusty Convec.  Perhaps to carry new buildings that will be created in OP3.  For these building will be big so a construction kit wouldnt beable to fit in a normal Convec.  However with increased cargo space you lose some of your ground speed and it would be bigger then a normal convec.  Not sure what it would be called though.

5.  A plasma thrower unit.  Like a flame thrower only more deadly because its sperting out a part of the sun basicly.  But dont think of it as a constant stream of plasma.  It would fire more like a sticky.  I see this as a eden unit because it would take the tech of a bunch of crazed scientists to make such a thing work right. Plasma Lynx/Panther/Tiger

6.  A plymouth unit that uses X-rays instead of microwaves.  I cant remember if X-rays are more or less powerfull then microwaves but I do know I dont need to wear a lead vest when cooking ramen lol.  I see it as a more powerful weapon but slower then the microwave.  X-ray lynx/Panther/Tiger :).  Dont any one say gamma rays because there are over used in games time to let the other rays shine.

Ya I know there are more eden suggestions then Plymouth but Eden needs a little works so they wont get there asses kicked as often.