Author Topic: Tournaments?  (Read 2146 times)

Offline thablkpanda

Tournaments?
« on: September 21, 2005, 07:27:01 PM »
Yeah, we're considering the 1v1 ladder, and there's the World Domination game, and such, but what about those of us Pie-Haters (me) and Rush-haters (me), or people that prefer a longer game, opposed to shorter ones. We have tons of different types of players here, And i'd like to hear people's suggestions on catering to people's wants. I mean meeting players that are like us is the point of OPU in general.

Panda is wondering.
/me munches bamboo.

Offline Sorry

Tournaments?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 09:24:23 PM »
Well normally id agree hole heartily as I hate pie more then anyone... EVER.

But this would be a ladder. So the map must be as fair as possible. Pie lacks spotting, offensive tactics and usually won't be a very long game in a one vs. one. So it’s not necessarily fair for a well-rounded game. But the most important for fairness is ore and building locations and the new pie (4 player) is as good as it gets for that at the moment.

I would love a wide open (no cliffs or walls) block of a map with same terrain and exact same building placement with forced 240/300 2 bars with ditto for any expansion ore but I don't see that map on my map list as of yet.

Edit one it would be very simple just make sure it gets added to any future patch or version. Ill call it fairer then pie, as it would include the other aspects of the game pie negates somewhat. Then it can take the place for competition maps.

Also make a tournament that has a different map/mark at every stage of advancement.

Nothing wrong with Ladder where both have to agree to the game type and map though I have this with master of Orion two and every galaxy is random you just do the best with what you have. Or better yet how about the player with the lower ladder rank pics the entire set-up. And the player has to except any challenge issued by a lower ranked player. That would have the entire game in use and all its game types. Some restrictions like 500 mark limit or no resource race games could be added or lr games must have a 75 bm and so on.  

One thing to note is pies been the default tourney map for a long time now. ^ Stomps around singing the fiddler on the roof “tradition” song, then vomits.

Tourneys never seem to finish anyway so bah humbug to tourneys. Play for fun!

You can always do whatever you want then anyway.  

Peace.

Offline Leviathan

Tournaments?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 04:12:44 AM »
Yea i agree with sorry on some points, ive hated pie chart since WON. But it's still a popular played map. Maybe less now that there is a fair version, i hope.

As for tourny/ladder play there are a few options, have it that you must play the same map for all games, or have a selection of fair maps to pick from. Or allow players to pick any map. Tho i do think the game type should be the same, eg a last one standing ladder and a space race ladder seprate.

Whatevea the rules should be set down before the game and should be the same for all games.

Also sorry as an experienced player id love to hear your ideas for maps.

And playing non-ladder or non-wd is what people are allways doing and it would be much better i think if games meant something, like win some control in wd or ranked you up in ladder. its not that ppl dont like wd, everyone loves the idea, but when your on irc and want to play most people dont think about playing wd.

please post on ladder and wd threads with comments relating to them.

Offline Mez

Tournaments?
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 05:47:08 AM »
i just like tohave lots of friendly 4 player + games. with lots of rematches.  Tourneys are good butn only wen u r playing in teams which are fairlty evenly matched.  the problem with this is of course assembling the teams at the right times!

Offline Leviathan

Tournaments?
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 06:17:19 AM »
yea i dont think a team tourney is something to consider atm.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Tournaments?
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 02:40:15 PM »
I think we need to consider making fair maps that are better than pie.

Maps that don't require a rigid build order and don't have to last 5~10 minutes max.

Then we can start working on tournament stuff.

Offline Leviathan

Tournaments?
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 03:09:21 PM »
hacker, the build order for pie is the same for any any map with that setup (the sf storage, the mine etc), like enter the dragon.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Tournaments?
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 07:09:38 PM »
One reason that keeps me away from tourney/ladder games is that they are less fun than games that mean nothing.
In ladder games you always want to push your rank up on the ladder and try your best in game, strictly follow the build order etc. Thats not really fun.
In random games there's much more variation. You can play any build/research order that you like and if its not good - it doosn't matter. Unequal teams are also possible. And the maps don't need to be just. People wouldn't hate to lose because of a worse starting position.

Offline thablkpanda

Tournaments?
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 03:09:55 PM »
I see where we're coming from..

General opinion here says I'm out of my mind.. lol, but- I'm still pondering my response here..

Panda - feels slow.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Tournaments?
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 12:13:34 PM »
perhaps there needs to be a new set of maps created just for tournaments and not just 1v1 maps either