Author Topic: Robot Command Center?  (Read 4149 times)

Offline Blodo

Robot Command Center?
« on: June 22, 2005, 06:04:17 PM »
Well any idea what does it do? Personally i didnt see any effect whatsoever, although Leviatan told me it has an effect on pathing. Anyone observed anything?

Offline Leviathan

Robot Command Center?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 06:21:29 PM »
Makes ur units more inteligent, gives em better pathfinding i beleive.

There are two types of pathfinding in op2, when you have a robo cc your units will use the 2nd type.

You may have noticed units tend to hug clifs instead of going in a straight line to somewhere you have sent them, they do this when there is no RCC.

Offline Blodo

Robot Command Center?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 06:27:55 PM »
Gotta do some tests with this then. Innovative :P

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Robot Command Center?
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 07:56:44 PM »
I've tested it with the trailmaps program OP2Patriot made (so many people were pissed at me fr using that, but all it did was show the path the vehicle would take, :heh: )
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 07:57:12 PM by CK9 »
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Robot Command Center?
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 05:18:00 PM »
Yeah, there is definately a change in the pathfinding algorithm. You also get a list of units when you have an RCC, and can jump to units I believe.

Offline zanco

Robot Command Center?
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 07:53:29 PM »
Yup, they are right. If you need proof, read this (quoted from the outpost2.hlp):
The Robot Command Center supplements the main Command Center in coordinating vehicle operations, and offers a remote assist to a vehicle's brain power.  Using a dedicated Savant-series computer and a powerful communications array that incorporates multiple layers of hardware encryption and anti-jamming circuitry, the Robot Command Center increases the piloting and navigation capability of all colony vehicles and Arachnid robots, increasing their efficiency and allowing them to operate with less human intervention. NOTE: The vehicle list, available from the Status display for the Robot Command Center, only shows those vehicles that are "in the field." Vehicles in storage at Garages are not listed here.

Operational Notes: The Robot Command Center improves route-selection intelligence of all vehicles.
OR,
The Robot Command Center

The Robot Command Center is one of the most important structures in your colony.  Vehicles have a limited computing capacity and without a Robot Command Center Active they do not choose their routes as efficiently.

like Freeza-CII puts it: RCC Makes vehicles less drunk.  ;)  
if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

"Zanco`, n00b o' The Flares"

Offline Sirbomber

Robot Command Center?
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 06:40:32 PM »
Maybe we should make an RCC DX that fires the guy that gave the vecs booze?  :P
Seriously though, the vehicles are still pretty stupid even with the RCC. Anyway we could upgrade it to be even better?
Or maybe my vecs just hate me.  :unsure:  
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline thablkpanda

Robot Command Center?
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 10:33:39 PM »
In comparison to how they 'act' without a RCC, I love the difference. It's annoying as hell when you play large maps, and go rusn your opponent, and it takes 4 minutes to drive a path that could take a minute or two w/ a RCC.

Christopher M.
Merchant Enterprises

Offline Sirbomber

Robot Command Center?
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2005, 07:11:29 AM »
I suppose. Just they still play bumper cars a lot for me even with an RCC, usually adding on about 10 seconds each time they ram through another vec. It gets annoying.  <_<  
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Robot Command Center?
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 05:54:26 AM »
Hmm, well I finally found a general area in the code where the path finding algorithm is located. I've kinda been curious about this one for a while. Is there anything in particular people might want to know about how it works? To be precise, I'm not quite sure exactly where the code is, but I've found where the code jumps based on whether or not an RCC is active. There's probably about 4 or 5 calls to look at, and at least 2 of them should be related to path finding. I'm just too tired to continue on at the moment. Oh, and this is of course called from a function I've previously determined to have something to do with unit movement.

As for that bumper car effect, I kinda doubt the algorithm takes other vehicles into consideration. It's probably only concerned with the terrain.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Robot Command Center?
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 09:52:14 AM »
RCC does have an effect on the vecs you have.

In contrast with many others around here, I always build one. At least on Big maps RCC makes a difference.
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2