Author Topic: IRC OP help  (Read 3613 times)

Offline Mez

IRC OP help
« on: April 18, 2005, 10:34:06 AM »
I am suggestiong something similar to a warning level on these forums for use by the ops on #outpost etc.

The idea goes something like this:

If a user annoys someone, takes the piss abit too much, excessive use of foul language, or whatever the op deems as not acceptable behaviour then

The op would type a command like:

!warn OPU|Mez Foul Language

This would send a message to the bot that user: OPU|Mez +1 to their warning level.
And store the date, time and comment.

The offender i.e. OPU|Mez (in this case) would get sent a message saying:

You have been warned about " Foul Language" warning level = 1, 4 away from autokick, 1 min ban.

And at warning level 5 the user wud get kicked by the bot and banned for 1 min, with a message being sne to the user - 1 min time ban for warning level 5.

^^just so they know whats happened.

After the ban is up etc.. The warning level would continue to increase and the next time action would be taken is say at level 7.

What do you think?

Evaluation of pros/ cons of system in next post

Offline Mez

IRC OP help
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 10:42:13 AM »
Problems:

Assigning the warning level to the user - Ip addy - changes on ppl with dynamic ip addresses. - (cud use the .no-ip.com thing for certainpeople) or quakenet user names or some way to manually add the users most commonly used name to some form of bot database.

Is this codable, in its simplest form? - Hacker or other TCL script programmer?

Pros:
multiple ops can use a warn level on one person and the logs cna be viewed to find frequent offenders

Other things not mentioned before:

The warning level will never reset - thew bot wud continue to add the warning levels and after say a month it will remove any bans from that specific day last month and reduce the warning level accordingly.

OP would be able to manipulate, view and remove the level.

We also need a list of warning levels and what to do at each one - input from the mainirc users?

may idea:

Level                                               Thing to do
3                       Kick - warning level 3 reached over the past month
6                       Kick 1 min ban - warning level 6 over last month reached
9                       10 min ban

etc what do you think
ppl who use irc and are non ops really need to organise wat should be done at waht level.

Offline Leviathan

IRC OP help
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 10:44:57 AM »
The bot has a user database so any user who is in that database they can have the warn level added to there info im sure.

The database stores there username, reconized host and if they get given voice or op.

I think this could be a good idea, instead of just kicking people cuz there anoying you or whatevea.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
IRC OP help
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 02:06:14 PM »
Yeah.. I could write something like this.

The bot's user databases do allow custom data to be stored, like a warn level. (Even if it didn't, the custom data could be saved in a separate file, no problems there). The auto voice/op information is stored as a series of flags with the user data, it lets you define your own flags too. (If you give a user a capital letter or number as a flag it consideres it "user defined" and a script can interpret the meaning of those).

The IP address isn't that big of a problem, you can define multiple IPs/hostnames for each user record.

Only other thing I'd suggest: The command the operator sends to tell the bot to do something should be a direct /msg to the bot. That way it doesn't require any crap in the channel, and also the op who did the command isn't targetted (if it's typed in channel, everyone can see who's responsible for it, if it's /msg'd no one except people who can access the records in the bot will know about it).

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
IRC OP help
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 02:46:41 PM »
Sorry im not a OP but a warning for any thing would be some what pointless.  why would some one listen to a offical warning message when they dont even listen to a OP or anyone elses warnings.  I could see a automated spam kicker tho.

Offline Leviathan

IRC OP help
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 03:06:13 PM »
The Bot has auto kick on spam.

Offline Mez

IRC OP help
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 03:43:44 PM »
I dont think i made my idea very clear.

When people do something on irc they shouldnt, they often dont relise how bad it looks from another persons perspective.

Now i dont want to kick someone everytime they do something they shouldn.t cos that make me look like a control freak.

Instead i want to use a warnings system, where any op who sees a person step out of line can warn the person and the bot will record it, that6 op could then leave or go a way or wat ever.  Another op wudn't know if this person has previoulsy been pissing around and wudn't reallise that the person needs sorting out so they lets the person off.

So if the ops use a warning system then the bot is responsible for dealing out the "Whoa there u stepped way over the line here in one day" "1 min time out"

And for some people who really dont get the message can be warned "officially" and can then be kicked but not imediatly only when they have been oviously been warned so no one can complain about moderation of the chna by kicking people too often.

Offline Leviathan

IRC OP help
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 03:50:49 PM »
I do like the idea, better to warn people than to kick em all the time.. when a warning gets added the user could be told about it also.

Its up to hacker to find the time to code it ... :)

But thankfully we dont have trouble makers or whateva on our channel :)

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
IRC OP help
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 04:34:22 PM »
But who is to decide what is apropiate.  If it is one person then we must all obey their Ideals of rightness.  some how that wouldnt be fair.

Offline Leviathan

IRC OP help
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 04:39:10 PM »
We set some rules.

Offline Mez

IRC OP help
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 10:31:29 AM »
Thats why i asked for some people to suggest some rules and what happend when peopel have recieved so many warnings.

e.g. Rules:

No exessive: -

Bad language
Mouthing other people   -  However if someone tells you to stop and you dont - different
excessive spam

Warning level:
3       Kick
6       1min kick ban
9       5 min kick ban

I dont want to make any more than that up, as i dont think its necissary