Author Topic: Forum Improvement  (Read 3269 times)

Offline Leviathan

Forum Improvement
« on: March 23, 2005, 05:23:06 PM »
We use/run Invision Power Board which is a great forum, it can have lots of addons/mods. There are lots of mods, skins and other stuff which can be added to the forum. If you look on google you should find sites offering these.
So what are some mods and skins that we could add to improve the forum in a positive way?

Offline xamlit

Forum Improvement
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 05:37:00 PM »
Hm... Don't know if this is in the right section...but Op2chat.net is yours if you guys want.. I have no problem paying my $8 a year... Lol.. i think my server back at my house on the east coast is up so... irc should still be functional there... But if you guys wanna skin it and give it a OPU look you are free to do so.

Offline Leviathan

Forum Improvement
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 05:38:56 PM »
Hey yea sounds good.

xamlit didnt you say we should add more mods somewhere? What you suggest?

One mod ill be adding is browser icons.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 05:43:03 PM by Leviathan »

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Forum Improvement
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 07:27:07 PM »
add some basic ones that are kind of fun to have, but not so many that this ends up being a place where random people join up just to use features.  The arcade games one would be nice to have for when there's nothing better to do
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline spirit1flyer

Forum Improvement
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 07:35:54 PM »
I like the Army system and the IBRpg  that the Havok forum has perhaps we could add them I know that some people think its a bad idea but I don't so there  :P  
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Forum Improvement
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 07:38:16 PM »
also another thing we want to consider: Will the mod cause spam (people wanting to increase post counts just for the sake of increasing post counts)?
We had that for a while with the IBStore, as long as it can be kept under control its not bad.

however we shouldn't have SO many mods that its hard 2 pick which ones you want to use, etc.

Just enough mods to enhance the forum and make it better to use.

Oh, one other thing: if you want to suggest mods they have to be compatible with IPB 1.3. So v2.x mods are out of the question, and ancient (1.0.x) mods are too.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 07:39:05 PM by op2hacker »

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Forum Improvement
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 07:38:45 PM »
as long as you don't have any one peson being given stuff it's fine (I got bored over there because plym decided to give me enough money to basically create an army that could dominate)
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Leviathan

Forum Improvement
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 07:43:41 PM »
Stay on topic :lol:

Heres a good IBP website with mods, skins etc:
invisionize.com

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Forum Improvement
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 05:23:30 PM »
Oh btw... if you want us to add a skin that you like, just send the set-*.tar file to me in a PM or IRC DCC. I'll upload it and import it into the system.

note: skins must also be compatible with IPB 1.3.x as well!

Offline Leviathan

Forum Improvement
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 05:34:37 PM »
There is no limit to how many skins we can have.

We have added the brower icon mod to show which browsers user use.

Offline plymoth45

Forum Improvement
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 10:35:43 AM »
the IBStore and Raffel Systems are a must. I have both up and running at http://plymoth.xfir.net/Havok_Backups if anyone wants to have a look at how the Raffel system works. The IBRPG on HVK's main forums is ok, though i don't have it on disk and have no idea where hunter found it. It seems fun though. The Download system might be good for single map files that aren't compiled into a map pack or files that are Mods or somethin. Would make life easier on some of us so we wouldn't have to see one of the site developers to upload and link something. It works reliably on this php version (Had to make a few edits to get it to run on PHP5). If i think of anything else i'll let you know.

EDIT: Anyone who wants to see the ACP Controls for the Download system i'm willing to let have a look, but i will only grant Admin Access to those i know will not screw with ANY of the settings.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 12:25:58 PM by plymoth45 »

Offline Leviathan

Forum Improvement
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 05:54:13 PM »
We have added some new skins. Enjoy.

We do need some custom header images for them tho..

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Forum Improvement
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2005, 08:05:14 PM »
It works reliably on this php version (Had to make a few edits to get it to run on PHP5). If i think of anything else i'll let you know.

EDIT: Anyone who wants to see the ACP Controls for the Download system i'm willing to let have a look, but i will only grant Admin Access to those i know will not screw with ANY of the settings.
No problem for us if we ever install anything, we use PHP 4.3 here.

You should install a test board for ppl to muck with in the ACP without worry.

I do like the idea of some of these mods, however one thing to watch for: Do they introduce any security holes into the system?

Many mods I have seen have very sloppy code in them and it wouldn't surprise me if there are unchecked vars and whatnot in them. (Which could let people inject SQL or other nasties into the system, what could happen is obvious).

the IBStore is one such mod I'd like to clean up before installing. (It's quite sloppy)

Offline Leviathan

Forum Improvement
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2005, 08:27:33 AM »
I added custom images. Enjoy the new skins.

Offline Leviathan

Forum Improvement
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2005, 07:23:39 PM »
Should we install a mod which shows Subforums in the forum view ??

Like this forum?

Mod link here.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Forum Improvement
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2005, 06:49:20 PM »
I have gone through and made all the mods accessible from every skin, via a drop down box. Enjoy.

Some of the mods probably have some weird looking problems with their appearance, if you see any major problems tell me on what skin it was and I'll fix it.

Oh yeah. Added two new mods.

Goals -- lets you record goals you have set for yourself that you want other people to see.

IBirc -- lets you access #Outpost2 directly without having to leave the forums.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 07:17:38 PM by op2hacker »

Offline Drakmar

Forum Improvement
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 08:41:50 PM »
The IBirc sounds nice. It's a REAL good idea.

Offline `Dennis`

Forum Improvement
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2005, 03:07:31 PM »
i think these forums should have the ipb arcade installed so we can play flash games against each other while we arnt playing op2.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Forum Improvement
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2005, 04:34:53 PM »
could it be possible to make a op2 like flash game? somthing not nearly as in depth as op2, just somthing to occupy yourself when your bored?
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline plymoth45

Forum Improvement
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2005, 12:14:30 AM »
No problem for us if we ever install anything, we use PHP 4.3 here.

You should install a test board for ppl to muck with in the ACP without worry.

I do like the idea of some of these mods, however one thing to watch for: Do they introduce any security holes into the system?

Many mods I have seen have very sloppy code in them and it wouldn't surprise me if there are unchecked vars and whatnot in them. (Which could let people inject SQL or other nasties into the system, what could happen is obvious).

the IBStore is one such mod I'd like to clean up before installing. (It's quite sloppy)
If you like hacker, i can copy over my IPB files and let you look through them, i don't have many of the mod packages anymore because #1 lost them in my format #2 they are all on Invisionize. I think i may have IPBStore 3.0.2 Final and the Download System backed up on the other computer, i'll have to look, if not just search for them on Invisionize. Those i think are the biggest mods i've mentioned and would pose the biggest threat with security hole.