Author Topic: On the Run - Ply Campaign Scenario #2  (Read 7585 times)

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
On the Run - Ply Campaign Scenario #2
« on: April 23, 2016, 04:15:18 PM »
Outpost 2 fans,

I am releasing the second Plymouth Campaign Scenario called On the Run. It is a land rush into preparing another evacuation. The briefing will show in a dialog before the scenario starts and is also below. This scenario focuses on colony buildings and there is little to no combat with very extensive mission objectives. If you don't enjoy tedious colony management, you should probably stay away from this scenario. Mission Objectives are at bottom to show what I mean...

I died when testing it on hard, but it was very close, and I would have won with a few more marks. So it should be reasonably challenging for veterans. If not, let me know and I can ratchet up the difficulty some more.

There are 2 new techs needed in the scenario. Cryptology and Vehicle Encryption Patch. Both are found at the Standard Lab and are required before researching Cybernetic Teleoperation. The briefing explains why, but just remember these 2 techs and you can skip the briefing.

The scenario is meant to be played after Evacuation Under Fire, but of course no big deal if you just skip the first scenario. Evacuation Under Fire can be found here http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,5816.msg83090/topicseen.html#new

Download
https://github.com/Brett208/OP2MissionOnTheRun/releases

Compatibility
The scenario is tested as compatible with Windows and WINE. Credits to Hooman for doing the WINE testing.

Install Directions

* Place the .map, .dll, and research tree (other .txt file) in your root Outpost 2 install directory.
   Some scenarios share maps (.map) and research trees (.txt). You should not need to install over already
   downloaded versions of maps and tech trees unless the map or tech tree is being patched for all scenarios
   using it.
 * Open Outpost 2 and search for the new scenario with the other colony games.
 * Good luck, and have fun!

Source Code: https://github.com/Brett208/OP2MissionOnTheRun

Bugs

* Minor: You do not have to actually load the vehicles in into a garage to patch them. The game will patch
   the vehicles when they roll over the garage docking port. I could not find a way through the SDK to
   detect which specific vehicles were loaded into a garage bay. You should still load each vehicle into the
   garage to simulate game intent, but nothing will stop you from shortcutting here :).

* Minor: The starting RoboMiner is considered patched from the communication virus at scenario start.
   There is a bug in the SDK where if a roboMiner builds a common ore mine, calling the function
   IsLive still returns true. Likely, the player cannot advance until they use the starting RoboMiner,
   so it shouldn't be noticiable by the player.

Mission Briefing
Commander,

Congratulations on your clandestine rescue of the remaining colonists at Outpost Destiny. Unfortunately, Eden forces successfully broke through our main lines 6 hours ago. It is unlikely we will stop their next assault. Our reserve tank squadrons are setting a series of feints to slow their progress while evacuation convoys are prepared.

Shortly after Eden routed our main defenses, we took satellite imagery of a large Eden Panther and Tiger squadron leaving our area to the West. We believe they are searching for your position. If you encounter an Eden scouting party, then you probably have little time before the heavy squadrons approach. They will certainly have more firepower than you can produce in the short term.

Your orders are to establish a new base, counter Eden's command link virus, build new lynx and panther tank squadrons to assist us, and prepare to relocate again.

Eden's radio jamming of our high band frequencies prevents us sending detailed schematics of the final vehicle command link patch we developed. However, you can find the information you need in the Earth Military Database. You will need a garage to complete hardware modifications to vehicles for the patch. If Eden units come in range of your colony, they will likely attempt to scramble your vehicle command link. Expect to re-research Cybernetic Teleoperation and Robot-Assist Mechanic after a command link patch is researched to ensure our factory and repair facilities accommodate the new requirements. Remember, all vehicles built prior to developing the patch must be modified at the garage. Eden will be able to exploit the entire command net if a single unpatched vehicle remains.

After patching your command link, build new Lynx and Panther squadrons to assist in clearing an escape route for one of our evacuation convoys. Then prepare another evacuation of your base before Eden combat forces arrive.

Expect another transmission containing the position of one of our evacuation convoys after it breaks through the Eden siege lines. Pray at least one of our convoys escape.

Soon, your band of refugees may be the last survivors of our colony.

Mission Objectives

Research and Base Construction
  • Research Cryptology from the Standard Lab.
  • Research Vehicle Encryption Patch from the Standard Lab.
  • Research Explosive Charges.
  • Research High-Powered Explosives.
  • Research Enhanced Defensive Fortifications. (Normal or Hard)
  • Research Advanced Armoring Systems. (Normal or Hard)
  • Research Reinforced Panther Construction. (Normal or Hard)
  • Research Reduced Foam Evaporation. (Hard Only)
  • Research Extended-Range Projectile Launcher (Hard Only)
  • Research Grenade Loading Mechanism. (Hard Only)
  • Construct a Garage.
  • Refit all starting vehicle receivers by sending them to the garage.
  • Have 80 or more colonists.

Combat Rescue Squadron
  • Stage 4 Microwave Lynx to the Southwest.
  • Stage 4 Stickyfoam Lynx to the Southwest.
  • Stage 4 RPG Lynx to the Southwest.
  • Stage 4 EMP Lynx to the Southwest.
  • Stage 4 ESG Lynx to the Southwest.
  • Stage 3 Microwave Panthers to the Southwest.
  • Stage 3 Stickyfoam Panthers to the Southwest.
  • Stage 3 RPG Panthers to the Southwest.
  • Stage 3 EMP Panthers to the Southwest.
  • Stage 3 ESG Panthers to the Southwest.
  • Stage 2 Scouts to the Southwest.
  • Stage 6 Spiders to the Southwest.

Evacuation Convoy
  • Stage ConVec with a Command Center to the Northwest.
  • Stage ConVec with a Structure Factory to the Northwest.
  • Stage ConVec with a Common Ore Smelter to the Northwest.
  • Stage ConVec with a Tokamak to the Northwest.
  • Stage ConVec with an Agridome to the Northwest.
  • Stage ConVec with a Rare Metals Storage to the Northwest.
  • Stage 2 Robo-Surveyors to the Northwest.
  • Stage 2 Robo-Miners to the Northwest.
  • Stage 1 Earthworker to the Northwest.
  • Stage 1 RoboDozer to the Northwest.
  • Stage 4 Evac Transports to the Northwest.
  • Stage 4,000 units of Common Metals to the Northwest.
  • Stage 2,000 units of Rare Metals to the Northwest.
  • Stage 3,000 units of Food to the Northwest.

Evacuation Convoy Guard Squadron
  • Stage 2 Microwave Lynx to the Northwest.
  • Stage 2 Stickyfoam Lynx to the Northwest.
  • Stage 2 RPG Lynx to the Northwest.
  • Stage 2 EMP Lynx to the Northwest.
  • Stage 2 ESG Lynx to the Northwest.
  • Stage 1 Microwave Panther to the Northwest.
  • Stage 1 Stickyfoam Panther to the Northwest.
  • Stage 1 RPG Panther to the Northwest.
  • Stage 1 EMP Panther to the Northwest.
  • Stage 1 ESG Panther to the Northwest.

You have to be logged into the forum to see the attachment.

----
EDIT 27APR16: Fixed typo in Mission Briefing & updated WINE compatibility. Thank you to Hooman for help!

EDIT 5MAY19:
  * Ver 1.0.1 - Fix bug when an initial vehicle is destroyed that prevents resolving the patch all vehicles victory condition.

EDIT 8JUN19: Moved download to Github.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 07:38:15 PM by Vagabond »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Re: On the Run - Ply Campaign Scenario #2
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 07:07:02 AM »
Sounds interesting. Works under WINE.

Looks like you forgot some text:
Soon, your band of refugees may be the last survivors of our
From the mission:
Soon, your band of refugees may be the last survivors of our colony.
I guess the "colony" was doomed.

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 03:09:31 PM »
Hooman,

Thank you for testing in WINE! I fixed the typo in the Mission Briefing and updated Compatibility to reflect tested on WINE.

Offline Commander

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 03:10:05 AM »
Phew, it took me like ~8 attempts but I eventually figured out how to beat this mission (on Normal). Thanks again Vagabond for taking the time to program this, it's good fun and I can't wait for your third mission! I like how all your maps so far had a little "twist" to figure out - that would have never been the case in the original campaign.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 09:59:37 AM »
It's truly great to see fresh new content that's unique and enjoyable to the users of the community. Keep it up! And know that we're working to make mission programming more accessible!

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 08:37:35 PM »
Commander,

Thank for the feedback. It sounds like I made the scenario a little more difficult then I intended on Normal. Really glad you enjoyed it.  :D

leeor_net,

Thank you for the encouragement.

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 06:49:01 PM »
Just released version 1.0.1. It fixes a bug where when an initial vehicle is destroyed the victory condition patch all vehicles cannot be resolved.

See first thread to download newest version. The only file changed is the .dll, so you can just overwrite the old dll. This will not fix previously saved games, so you will have to restart the scenario with the new dll in place if the bug is encountered on ver 1.0.0.

-Brett