Author Topic: Plymouth Campaign Hard  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Plymouth Campaign Hard
« on: May 06, 2009, 04:21:05 PM »
Awhile back I beat the Eden campaign on Hard.  It was pretty fun.  Recently, I decided to give Plymouth a whirl.  I've really learned a lot about what (not) to do when making a campaign, so it's been good experience for MT2.

Do:
-Assume the player knows what s/he's doing.

Don't:
-Design the mission so the player must restart it at least once.
-Make convoy missions in which the player is outnumbered 4-to-1 and have all AI units descend on and mercilessly rape the poor player.
-Expect the player to make up for this pathetic excuse of an army with Spiders (Spiders blow).
-Randomly spawn 50 extra units for the AI for no apparent reason (I really loved the part where they came out of Garages and Vehicle Factories I've already killed).
-Give the player Supernova Tigers/Panthers.
-Make lame ore-mining missions.
-Give the player crappy weapons.
-Arbitrarily decide the player is out of time and spawn an infinite number of units to kill the player for no good reason.

You see, I'm on Mission 10, and it looks like it's gonna stay that way because:
My initial units:
-11 Lynxes (3 EMP, 3 Microwave, 2 ESG, 1 Stickyfoam, 1 RPG, 1 Supernova)
-5 Panthers (2 RPG, 1 ESG, 1 Stickyfoam, 1 Supernova)
-4 Tigers (2 RPG, 1 EMP, 1 ESG)
-2 Cargo Trucks
-2 Evac. Trans
-10 Spiders

Really, why do I still have Microwaves and Stickyfoams when I'm perfectly capable of getting RPGs, EMPs, and ESGs?  AND WHY THE SUPERNOVA PANTHER?! Though that's better than last time, when they decided I needed not one, but TWO Supernova Tigers...

And now, using the power of Tsearch, I can hack into Eden's RCC and check their vehicles...

Eden initial units:
-32 Panthers
-1 Lynx
-1 Tiger
-20+ Guard Posts (I didn't feel like counting anymore)

There's no way a direct attack can succeed, even at the start, let alone after they're built MORE units and GPs (half of which are Thor's or Acid, of course - good luck with those Microwaves) and others have miraculously spawned.  You can't steal any significant number of vehicles either since most of them are Acid Panthers, meaning your Spiders get torn to shreds, not to mention this is an AI we're talking about, so the duration of EMP on its units isn't long enough for the Spiders to do their job (really, I had a Spider parked next to a Panther, it got to work immediately after the unit got EMPed, and it still couldn't get it).  So I guess the moral of this story is if you're making a convoy mission against a heavily fortified area please give us guns someone might actually use, and give us enough of them.  It's not the way the AI defends that bothers me; that's actually something a normal human would do.  The problem is that no human would attack such a well-defended area with such a pathetic force.

Anyways, since Dan Duncalf decided a Microwave Lynx is enough to take on a Thor's Hammer, I'm going to "upgrade" my Microwaves significantly...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 07:08:29 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Sirbomber

Plymouth Campaign Hard
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 08:56:32 AM »
Update!
The solution to winning this mission seems to be turning your lights off and running willy-nilly through their base.  You can do whatever you want to them as long as your lights are out.  Sad.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Hidiot

Plymouth Campaign Hard
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 09:43:58 AM »
/facepalm +1

That's one bad AI.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Sirbomber

Plymouth Campaign Hard
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 10:59:02 AM »
Just finished mission 12, and I avenged what happened in mission 10 by bombarding Eden with EMP Missiles and leveling the colony with an army of Tigers (with real weapons!).

Offline Sorcer

Plymouth Campaign Hard
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 08:48:11 PM »
lol i like your lessons learned i laughed quite merily when i read them. lol i never knew lights off would mean /win for any mission other then the renegade mission #4 or w/e it is.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Plymouth Campaign Hard
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 02:10:24 PM »
bomber, it's more fun to level the colony with nova lynx's
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Tellaris

Plymouth Campaign Hard
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 05:23:30 AM »
Heh. I always found the supernovas VERY useful on that map. Without power, Eden AI stops building stuff. Then it becomes a matter of just wearing down the remaining units with the ESG lynxes doing a bit of hit and run. Then completing every objective except not loading the spaceport stuff... Saving that for last so that I can just quickly get out before the tigers catch up...
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.