Poll

Pick the one you like

RPG?
22 (40.7%)
Rail Gun?
32 (59.3%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: RPG Or Rail Gun  (Read 9651 times)

Offline lordly_dragon

RPG Or Rail Gun
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2006, 11:21:54 AM »
rpg are better weapon in outpost 2 but rail gun is wayyy cooler.

by the way rail gun is more a ballistic weapon like a gauss gun. Rpg are missile and missile can be directed so that's why it can go over wall. a ballistic weapon is linear and will drop with gravity so it is impossible to pass over the wall and touch the ground before missing the target.

And walls are normally reinforced, the reinforcment will absorb most of the electromagnetic field!

humm this is not true because the ammo doesn't have a magnetic field. Basicly lets say the ammo is charged + and while loading the cannon is not charged. The cannon begin to charge up is energy in -. then when ready to fire it is quickly switching to + all over the whole lenght of the gun. So, when the ammo get out of the cannon, it is moving, but there is no magnetic field. two + repulse themselves and in that case, really fast.  
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 11:33:00 AM by lordly_dragon »

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Isolocis

RPG Or Rail Gun
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2006, 06:45:13 PM »
Look what I ripped out of the Outpost 2 manual.

Railgun
Common Metals Cost:   high   
Rare Metals Cost:   none
Area of Effect:   very small   
Range:   long
Rate of Fire:   medium   
Concussion Damage:   medium
Penetration Damage:   medium      

RPG
Common Metals Cost:   high   
Rare Metals Cost:   none
Area of Effect:   very small   
Range:   long
Rate of Fire:   very high   
Concussion Damage:   medium
Penetration Damage:   low

Damage Types and Armor
Many vehicles and structures in the game have armor to protect them from disaster and attack.  The damage done by weapons and disasters may be either concussion damage or penetration damage; many weapons do both kinds of damage.  Concussion damage, which results from the application of raw force, can be partially reduced by armor.  Penetration damage, which results from the piercing of shrapnel or other projectiles, slices right through armor.  Armor comes in three different levels: light, medium, and heavy.

While they deal the same amount of concussive damage, the RPG benefits from faster rate of fire and fires "indirectly", while the Railgun benefits from its ability to deal better penetrating damage.

Both the Railgun and the RPG gets my support since the penetration damage is ideal for eliminating Lynxs, non-combat units, and even Arachnids when you do not have a Acid Cloud vehicle.  Though I should not forget that a Railgun projectile can pierce through the armor of a Panther.  I believe that the RPG's explosion will be reduced by a Panther's medium armor, but the Railgun can easily rip through it.

So I did not vote on the Railgun not only because it is "cool".  When compared to a RPG, the Railgun can take on any medium armored buildings/units any day.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 06:53:30 PM by Isolocis »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
RPG Or Rail Gun
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2006, 11:15:03 PM »
The rail gun is nothing more then a fast bullet and depending what what kind of slug is fire will determine how much it penitrates and it would penetrate there isnt any doubt about it.

The RPG on the other hand is nothing more then a flying shape charge.  It impacts then the shape charge goes off and forces a explosion into the armor this is highly effective but would not have the pinpoint accuracy of the bullet from a rail gun.  

because really if you hit a sheet of armor with a concussive blast it really wont do much.  unless its the concussive blast of a nuke.  Concussion is nothing more then the compression cause by the explosion i believe.

and tell me which loads faster a bullet or a rocket lol.

Really weapons that deal with armor are going for penetration.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
RPG Or Rail Gun
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2006, 11:22:28 AM »
I like rail because its alot more futureistic, we had rpg's, had them for over 50 years, and they can be mass produced and baught by people whos houses are made of sand

railguns on the other hand in addition of requireing a huge amount of power to operate, the rails degrade rapidly, so rapidly in fact that they have to be replaced after every shot, eden obvisouly fixed this problem, and cool fusion generators take up the power

if I persionally could choose between having a rpg, or a working rail gun, I would choose the rail gun hands down
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Exile

RPG Or Rail Gun
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2007, 09:33:11 PM »
Railgun as any smart person will back it up with thors and it owns in a open field
"Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, and brains save both."

"The best form of welfare for the troops is first-rate training."

''Erwin Rommel The Desert Fox''

Offline Kurgan

RPG Or Rail Gun
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2007, 07:38:18 AM »
I'd take Rail Guns any day over Plymouth's RPG system. Isolocis backed up this argument very well, so I feel no more explaination is needed in this situation.
Besides, a rail gun perched on top of a guard post base looks nice and intimidating.

Offline Racquerr

RPG Or Rail Gun
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2007, 08:42:15 PM »
Fast, ranged, shoot over stuff, explosions? RPG, sign me up! Yeah I'm nostalgic.  

Offline Quantum

RPG Or Rail Gun
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2007, 11:10:45 AM »
RPG's are awesome, no doubt about it they shot faster, do damage and get the jobs done :)  
This conversation did not happen, the gun that I have in my hand is not real and the Presidents book does not exist.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
RPG Or Rail Gun
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2007, 11:16:31 AM »
RPG's are awesome, no doubt about it they shot faster, do damage and get the jobs done :)
The last post in this thread was 4 months ago. Which was a necromancy post. And several before it also necromanced this thread. It's really over a year old.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 11:17:37 AM by Arklon »

Offline Marukasu

RPG Or Rail Gun
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2007, 12:03:50 PM »
Rail gun s because the rpg is tiny while the rail gun looks like hit you from much further away.

Offline Civie

RPG Or Rail Gun
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 05:00:46 AM »
Rail Gun because it's just cool, oh and the graphical stuff.
You can't even evade a Rail Gun in Outpost 2 as it hits before you see it. RPG is seen (far) before it hits.