Poll

How long until old topics should be locked?

1 month
0 (0%)
2 months
1 (3.4%)
3 months
10 (34.5%)
4 months
0 (0%)
5 months
0 (0%)
6+ months
8 (27.6%)
A Year
4 (13.8%)
Never
5 (17.2%)
Don't care
1 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Topic Locking  (Read 7472 times)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Topic Locking
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2008, 06:34:17 PM »
thing is, it really depends on the type of topic.  For example, threads asking for suggestions in the project topics should be held open for longer.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Mez

Topic Locking
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2008, 09:29:45 AM »
I work on about a year these days. For dormant threads.
I would like to highlight that I lock old threads, based on the last post date, not the thread start date.

3/6 months can be a bit too long and too short depending on the threads section/context. Safest bet is to use a year (plus its far easier for me).

I haven't yet had any suggestions/replies for specific forums to have longer/shorter dormant thread locking policies, except for the Programming Forum (Hooman - never lock them, as they get added to after extended periods of time) & The Main Projects (Under control of sub-forum Mods - So they can control idea flows)

Edit: See here for the others: http://forum.outpostuniverse.net/index.php?showtopic=4230

I'm glad this thread didn't get locked.  I think that there should always be at least one thread open in every forum/subforum.

I can't remember where, and nor can I be bothered to search for the post/thread.  But it has been generally accepted that if you want to continue to comment on an old locked thread you start a new one and reference, with a link, the old one.  If a Mod deems the new thread to be a continuation of the old one it can be merged.  The majority of the time the new thread is at a tangent to the old one and therefore not merged.

Edit -  Added reference to my Spring Cleaning post, couple of grammatical/spelling errors I noticed
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 09:52:32 AM by Mez »