Author Topic: Blight  (Read 4523 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Blight
« on: July 20, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »
Does anyone know what microorganism the Blight is built from (or a list of potential candidates)?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Blight
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 11:23:16 AM »
isnt it a combination of various bacteria.  One of them being like Hot springs/volcanic vent bacteria i believe.

Offline zanco

Blight
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 03:56:58 PM »
I don't really know what it is made from, but I know that "They used Bio-advanced technology"
*Zooms in DNA sample*

:D  
if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

"Zanco`, n00b o' The Flares"

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Blight
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 04:00:18 PM »
I don't really know what it is made from, but I know that "They used Bio-advanced technology"
*Zooms in DNA sample*

:D
I don't know anything about them using "bio-advanced" (what the hell is that, anyway?) technology, but they DID use advanced bio-technology. :P

Offline zanco

Blight
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 05:56:11 PM »
I don't know anything about them using "bio-advanced" (what the hell is that, anyway?) technology, but they DID use advanced bio-technology.

lol! Fingers being crazy again still "bio-advanced" tech sounded kinda cool.  :lol:  
if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

"Zanco`, n00b o' The Flares"

Offline Sirbomber

Blight
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 08:36:35 PM »
I guess nobody here is an expert on microbiology then?
And you call yourselves enthusiasts.  ;)  
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline 7842303

Blight
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 02:26:08 PM »
the blight was created from microbes that were adapted to live in harsh conditions

(underground, underwater, high-heat/very cold. i good boy!!   B)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 02:49:30 PM by 7842303 »
onword to battle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
unless your tired, of cource

Offline Sl0vi

Blight
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 08:03:52 PM »
the blight was created from microbes that were adapted to live in harsh conditions

(underground, underwater, high-heat/very cold. i good boy!!   B)
And what microbes would that be exactly?
!!!YAY!!!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Blight
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 02:30:17 PM »
It couldn't have been any micro-organism adapted to live around magma vents, 'cause we know that lava kills it.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Tellaris

Blight
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 08:43:39 PM »
Just because it lives around megma vents doesn't mean it can survive contact with magma...
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Blight
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 10:31:25 AM »
lava kills all simple fact.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Blight
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 02:47:54 PM »
lava doesn't kill lava =P
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline 7842303

Blight
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 05:34:08 PM »
what ever it is it i dont like it
google it if any one realy wants to know
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 05:35:08 PM by 7842303 »
onword to battle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
unless your tired, of cource

Offline White Claw

Blight
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 07:56:13 PM »
Sirbomber, are you looking for actual names of bacterial strains? Or just the "kinds" of bacteria? (Or do you even care about this old thread??  :lol: )

Offline Hidiot

Blight
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 03:33:51 AM »
search for things that break oxygen and hydrogen links apart  :P  
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Sirbomber

Blight
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 08:21:46 PM »
Sirbomber, are you looking for actual names of bacterial strains? Or just the "kinds" of bacteria? (Or do you even care about this old thread??  :lol: )
Names. Knowledge is power!
Or is it?

Offline Gagagigo3

Blight
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 10:09:48 AM »
I red about it on a 'put in a corner' topic. I stumbled across this topic when i was earching wiki for string codes for ai, i cant find it again. But i found this:
The nickname given to a deadly, fast-moving genetically engineered microbe created by a team of scientists under the supervision of Chairman Nguyen.

Okay, most will know this i think, but what i red in that topic on wiki that the ( yust lets call i the blight at this moment) 'blight' is a micro-organism that eats hydrogen and things and then 'poop'ot 'spew' it out. Maybe we should compare it with earthworms? But then in a microforn... Yeah i know it may sound stupid. I will look for it on Wiki again, but first i have to go to badminton so see ya around guys.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 10:11:41 AM by Gagagigo3 »
Extinction is just the beginning.

Check this out, it rocks

Offline Hidiot

Blight
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 11:42:34 AM »
The blight is pretty much explained within the novellas between levels in the campaign.

The bilght is a microorganism developed similar to those microorganisms that live in the current Earth's ocean beds, around certain vents. The scientists working on the terraforming bug did stuff to microorganisms of that kind so that they would be self-replicating and that they could break up hydrogen and oxygen molecules within the planets crust and release then to the surface. The fact that this bug only lives in environments that contain hydrogen and oxygen (mainly water) is the reason why it can expand.

It pretty much breaks down the elements below the surface and those elements make their way to the surface, carrying the blight with it. That's how it appears on the surface, considering it's something that "lives" underground. It is said that because the scientists used water to kick-start the microbe in their test vents, they made a big mistake, as that's what led to the general release of the microorganism on the whole planet.

Well... that's pretty much what my memory still holds  :P  

Offline Brazilian Fan

Blight
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 12:36:38 PM »
It pretty much breaks down the elements below the surface and those elements make their way to the surface, carrying the blight with it.
Just a correction: the microbe doesn't carry the Blight, it is the Blight.  :heh:  

Offline Hidiot

Blight
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 12:57:33 PM »
I meant those elements, as in the hydrogen and oxygen and whatever. The blight can not expand by itself, it is carried by those molecules it has broken apart and that go towards the surface.

Offline Sirbomber

Blight
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2007, 03:05:40 PM »
We all know how the Blight works. I was wondering if anyone knew a specific name for any real microbe the Blight could have been built off of.

Offline Hidiot

Blight
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 02:29:58 AM »
I think it's a combination of specific traits from more than just 1 microbe... No idea of the names though.