Author Topic: Opu Logo  (Read 3438 times)

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Opu Logo
« on: August 26, 2006, 12:00:25 PM »
I was working on the splash image for Outpost: Continuum and I came up with this.

What does everyone think? You can see it added to an official OPU image by going to the main page!

I will make a series of images based on that logo design for people to use as banners, sigs, etc. if ppl think it is acceptable.

Offline op2rules

• op2rules.net
Opu Logo
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 03:03:08 PM »
I like it, but make it smaller.
Checkout my website, op2rules.net. It has free games, software, and snappy guides. Oh and did I mention the uber friendly community forums?
Life to me is a simple game that I utterly win at.
 ^--- GD Text Generati

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Opu Logo
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 07:34:51 PM »
Thats just the resource size. In every instance Ive used it, it is reduced. Scaling images down almost always improves the quality imo.

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
Opu Logo
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 06:49:08 AM »
It's good.
But somehow oldfashioned.
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Opu Logo
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 08:46:12 AM »
it should look familiar to some ppl :P

i didnt rip it off from anything but now that i look at it, it looks alot like the Red Alert 2 logo. I really just wanted something to take the place of the plain white text "Outpost Universe" on the screen cap collage. I wasnt trying to make a paradigm shift.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Opu Logo
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 11:28:46 AM »
it's good...but it just doesn't have an Outpost feel to it
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Opu Logo
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 04:31:08 PM »
I would say, maybe change the font of the words, leaving everything else the same (to make it more 'Outpost' looking).

The font Denmark (I can get it to you if you don't have it) seems to be almost the same, if not the same font they used for the "DIVIDED DESTINY" on the game logo.

Eddy was able to get close to the OUTPOST 2 words by taking the font Lynx and doing some modifications (mainly joining the S and the T like the logo does).

edit: and yeah, it looks slightly like the RA2 logo. I didn't think about that until you mentioned it though :P
Still not bad / a rip off however.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 04:32:12 PM by op2hacker »

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Opu Logo
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 11:49:54 PM »
Interesting! Thanks for the input. I really wasnt intending for this to become official, but I can tweak it to look more refined. Ill take a look at some fonts and see how it looks. Im open to suggestions.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Opu Logo
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 01:45:21 AM »
Here is another version I made using the Denmark font. I also added an inner border to break up the frame.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Opu Logo
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 07:31:54 AM »
That looks a lot better already.

Another idea I just had pop into my mind, maybe instead of the metal underneath the words, take a screenshot of some lynx fighting in close and convert it to grayscales, then darken it a bit. That might look interesting :P

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Opu Logo
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 01:04:12 PM »
I don't remember such sharp corners, as you use them, in op2.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Opu Logo
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 05:51:47 PM »
Adding screenshots to a logo are always a nono, especially since this one is designed to be scaled. If i had screenshots on there and scaled it for use, it would just look like gray blobs and be generally unsexy. I always oversize my photoshop stuff because like I said, pixel art ALWAYS looks better scaled down. It basically lets me be sloppy since scaling usually hides any mistakes or pixellization.

The ideal size for this logo is between 100x100 and 200x200 pixels (relative scale).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 05:53:31 PM by dm-horus »

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Opu Logo
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 08:23:57 PM »
Use a good resampling algorithm.

Or, apply the bitmap after you've resized.

The quality should still be very acceptable.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Opu Logo
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 02:40:00 AM »
I usually use bicubic sampling. Its not the strongest but it tends to do well when the resizing forces pixels to blend. It sometimes causes banding, but only when severely resized. In such a case I would use linear sampling which works well for 16 bit color images like icons, etc. Unfortunately PS doesnt let you reapply textures after resizing. Keep in mind, this is just a 2D mockup of what I wanted to make in 3D. You cant see it, but in the PSD file the bottom layer is a screenshot of the concept render. Everything else was outlined and filled by hand on top. Layer blending and filters create the illusion of depth, which should be very noticable. If I get around to it, the 3D model will look much better because it will be REAL 3D, not faux 2.5D.

Offline Leviathan

Opu Logo
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 04:52:59 AM »
nice work dude.

Offline zhukant

Opu Logo
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2006, 01:27:57 AM »
I don't think the background should have such a prominent, metallic kind of texture. In my opinion, it should be smoother, and with a more deep kind of color, like black. But otherwise, I like the design :)
Detected rip in space-time continuum. Attempting repairs. Attempt #1 failed. Cause: unknown. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #2 failed. Cause: probe annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #3 failed. Cause: fleet annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #4 failed. Cause: 404 Could

Offline Sirbomber

Opu Logo
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2006, 09:24:39 AM »
It looks like a license plate!
It's good... just not for OP2.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Opu Logo
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2006, 10:50:19 AM »
sirbonber, zhukant: again. read up. its not for op2. its not supposed to look or feel like op2. its supposed to look like a license plate.

but i agree, i dont like the textures. theyre just all i have that worked even slightly.

your comments made me think about something i think we should discuss. i was using more realistic textures, not the cartoonishly generic "grey equals metal" op2 cutscene textures. if a new op2 was made that used more realistic textures, how would you receive it?

Offline TH300

Opu Logo
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2006, 03:40:19 PM »
sirbonber, zhukant: again. read up. its not for op2. its not supposed to look or feel like op2. its supposed to look like a license plate.

Then, please don't use it on the opu website.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Opu Logo
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2006, 01:17:58 AM »
what is so wrong with it?

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Opu Logo
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2006, 09:06:03 PM »
TH300: Its already on the website. Most ppl seem to like it. Whats the deal?

Ill explain further AGAIN, the images i posted in here are of the max resolution. The image itself is designed to be used/displayed at one half or one third of its size. At such a scale the image looks completely different.

I got some inspiration from the Unreal 2 and Unreal 2K4 logos. You may notice similarities in the textures. And again, the above images are Photoshop-only versions (meaning totally 2D) of a fully 3D logo I was working on.

Im kind of shocked as to the amount of negative attention this is getting for something thats totally unofficial and completely trivial.

Offline TH300

Opu Logo
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006, 05:29:01 AM »
TH300: Its already on the website. Most ppl seem to like it. Whats the deal?
most people, just not those who posted in this thread?

Ill explain further AGAIN, the images i posted in here are of the max resolution. The image itself is designed to be used/displayed at one half or one third of its size. At such a scale the image looks completely different.

I got some inspiration from the Unreal 2 and Unreal 2K4 logos. You may notice similarities in the textures. And again, the above images are Photoshop-only versions (meaning totally 2D) of a fully 3D logo I was working on.

Im kind of shocked as to the amount of negative attention this is getting for something thats totally unofficial and completely trivial.
If it is unofficial, don't use it on the opu site.
Plus: You said yourself that it is to be used somewhere else:
I was working on the splash image for Outpost: Continuum and I came up with this.

And, as most people said: it is not really bad, it is just not op2 style.
If you have a new version that is final and is op2 style and people like that new version, then nothing speaks against using it on the opu website as the official opu logo.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Opu Logo
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2006, 02:53:05 PM »
what im saying is, its not worth debating. i put it on the OPU main page because it looked better than the white "outpost universe" text. and thats all its meant to do. its not meant to be the signed corporate ™ logo of OPU. im not redesigning the stamp of outpost 2. its only meant to be better than two words in white letters and it accomplishes that.

most ppl = most ppl who matter

its just supposed to take the place of the rather plain lettering. its not that big of a deal. chill, TH300.