Author Topic: What Are These Tiles?  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Leviathan

What Are These Tiles?
« on: June 16, 2005, 10:30:02 AM »
Ive never seen these tiles in game before.

They are with the smooth ground (tiles around buildings) tiles and tube tiles.

They look like damaged smooth ground tiles, like on normal ground when a unit gets killed sometimes it leaves a crater mark but im sure it does not happen on smooth (bulldozed) ground.

Offline cycletronic

What Are These Tiles?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 10:37:31 AM »
You know you've been playing OP2 too long when...

Offline §Panther

What Are These Tiles?
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 05:31:34 PM »
Ive never seen these tiles in game before.

They are with the smooth ground (tiles around buildings) tiles and tube tiles.

They look like damaged smooth ground tiles, like on normal ground when a unit gets killed sometimes it leaves a crater mark but im sure it does not happen on smooth (bulldozed) ground.

Those are for vehical tracks, which were never implemented.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
What Are These Tiles?
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 06:07:57 PM »
Hmm, very interesting. And how do you know that was planned?

Offline Leviathan

What Are These Tiles?
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 06:42:04 PM »
Im sure there not vec tracks, if they were they would hav them for all directions, and for all the diff types of terran.

I think maybe they though having so much of the same bulldozed terran was boreing and could have one of them doted about. Maybe in ealer version wholes bases were bulldozed terran.

Offline MBCMDR

What Are These Tiles?
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 11:09:46 PM »
Ok my turn on input :)

I would think those are for replacement tiles for when a tube is destroyed by some event, where leaves no metal deposite but semi smooth replaces the tile.

MBCMDR

Offline Leviathan

What Are These Tiles?
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 05:44:20 AM »
When you remove a tile or wall, or building (where there is no ruble tile where building was) you dont get any of them, it just goes back to smooth bulldozed tile.

Offline MBCMDR

What Are These Tiles?
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 08:02:36 PM »
I agree that happens with buildings, but looking at there location in bitmap tileset. They were desgined when tubes where designed. So I still think they were made as replacement tile when tube were destroyed maybe a feature not implemented. (something like Pather said)
I think the coder in the rush of making the game used only one Code Function (ruble) but had really planned on design of two. One Code Function to show ruble tiles were building destroyed. Then maybe because of the shortness of time to implemention creating the second Code Function for ruble tiles were tubes destroyed. He just allowed Code Function one to do that also with the same building ruble tileset.

It's all just a guess, I have also never seen them.

MBCMDR

Offline zigzagjoe

What Are These Tiles?
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2005, 12:40:00 AM »
ya i've seen those tiles before. i used them as plain tile, particuly close to bases. i just figured they were small craters/skid marks or some kind of vech track

Offline Sirbomber

What Are These Tiles?
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2005, 06:18:20 PM »
This is an old topic, but whatever. It's what you get for not telling me what I asked for.  ;)
And they are vec tracks.

"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Leviathan

What Are These Tiles?
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2005, 06:27:53 PM »
Thats not in game screenshot tho.

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
What Are These Tiles?
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2005, 07:29:29 PM »
they did take out alot of detail from the game though before it was released. I have proof on my website with that high quality univeristy. I think they did this so that the game would run on more computers

Offline zigzagjoe

What Are These Tiles?
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2005, 10:41:33 PM »
yeah sirbomber, there are vec tracks in many vids. soemhting to note- none of the ingame gfx is formt he vids. and it rly did help if they did do that moog, as my old p75/16mb can run it.

Offline Harky

What Are These Tiles?
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 10:44:39 PM »
Why not put vech traks into the game? maybe set them for entrances to the loading docks..?

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
What Are These Tiles?
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2005, 01:28:39 AM »
That would be cool but I get the feeling that we'd need more track tiles. I can easily create then in various forms it's just a matter of adding them to maps/tilesets and whatnot... well... however it would be added to the game. I have plenty of coding projects but I could certianly create new tiles.