Author Topic: Computer Problems  (Read 4527 times)

Offline ZeusBD

Computer Problems
« on: July 02, 2004, 02:57:02 AM »
Everytime that I start up my computer, it is a gamble if it'll work or not. Sometimes even before my Anti-virus has finished loading, it is already frozen. If it does load up, then it is only buying time till it freezes. Now I can start it up in Safe Mode just fine.

From there I did this:

Disabled virtual memory
Ran Disk Defrag 3 times (restarting after the first time)
Ran Ad Aware 6
Ran SpyBot Search and Destroy
Ran a virus check
Restarted
Went back into safe mode
Re-enabled Virtual Memory at 3 times my Ram amount
Restarted to regular mode
Signed onto internet
tried to go to a site
Cussed very loudly since my computer froze up

Any other idea's besides a total reinstall?
If I have to reinstall then I am going with Window's 2000 Pro instead of XP. It's more stable, but I would like to stay with XP for the simple fact that I'm lazy and I don't want to have to back up everything on my computer (Way too much stuff on there) and then have to go through the process of installing a new OS.
In the dark I'm at home, in the light I'm on the battlefield. A Dragon's life is a constant struggle for survival. But in the end, we will prevail.
Go check out my site: http://www.frankandami.com
E-mail me: ZeusBD at yahoo.com

Offline Coconut Monkey

Computer Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 07:06:39 AM »
System specifications? That includes the power supply and any cooling.
Minmaxing the world since '82

"Making it all make sense." - Windows 3.0 Reference Manual

Offline Kramy

Computer Problems
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 11:47:15 AM »
Did you run scandisk?
-Kramy

Offline Oprime

• http://Moogleforest.net
Computer Problems
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 07:31:26 PM »
Coconut is right. Before we can have an Idea of what needs to be done we need stuff like: OS, CPU, motherboard (maybe), Ram, hard drives, etc. But the best thing for the moment that I can think of is to vaporise it ;). Most likly it's some program in there that's messing with stuff. When ever something stupid like that happens to me I just backup from safemode, send it to another computer on the network, then format and reinstall.
CPU: AMD Phenom II 940BE
RAM: Patriot Viper 4GB (2GB x2) DDR2 1066Mhz
Motherboard: MSI K9A2 Platinum
Case: Thermaltake Armor Plus+
Power Supply: Themermatake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU
Hard Drive: Fujitsu 15k SAS SCSI 74GB/148GB Raid 0 @ 189MBps
Moniter: LG Flatron 20.1in Widescreen LCD 8ms 1400:1 Contrast ratio w/ F engine
GFX Card: 4 ATI Radeon 4870 1GB GDDR5 CrossFireX
DVD Burners: 2x SONY DVD-RW
Speakers[/b] Logitech Z-5500 505Watt 5.1 Surround
CPU Heatsink[/b]ZeroTerm NV120
OS[/b]Windows Vista Home Premium x64
:P I'm a Hardware freak ><

Offline ZeusBD

Computer Problems
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2004, 11:53:19 PM »
Okay, off the top of my head (typing this from work):

1 GHZ
256 SDRAM (My old system had a gig of DDR, but I gave that one to the mother-in-law)
2 - 40 Gig hard drives at 7200 RPM (80 gigs total)
CD Rom
CDR/DVD drive
10/100 network card
It's a COMPAQ

P.S. Don't give me a hard time, this was my Dad's old computer and I took it so that my Mother-in-law would have a reliable system to use....thing is that she doesn't even use it, so I could have my baby here purring at my finger tips (I plan on getting it this December when I go home for Christmas).
In the dark I'm at home, in the light I'm on the battlefield. A Dragon's life is a constant struggle for survival. But in the end, we will prevail.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Computer Problems
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 10:42:47 AM »
well there's your problem, it's a compaq, lol

I have oneat home too, and unless you keep the free memory above a certain level, it freezes like crazy.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Oprime

Computer Problems
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 11:12:55 AM »
You might have to do some "spring cleaning" in the computers registry. Just go to run and use the regedit command. Take a look around and if you see anything odd that doesn't look like it should belong there remove it. If you don't know how to clean or use the registry I wouldn't recommed doing it without backing up the registry.

Offline Toshiro

Computer Problems
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2004, 02:28:22 PM »
also, check what programs are u running. run msconfig and see what's in the Services and Startup tab. if u see a suspicious one, terminate it and see if that was it. be carefull to not terminate a OS related one (usually, if it's made by microsoft, don't check it off)

Offline Coconut Monkey

Computer Problems
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 06:15:02 AM »
also, check what programs are u running. run msconfig and see what's in the Services and Startup tab. if u see a suspicious one, terminate it and see if that was it. be carefull to not terminate a OS related one (usually, if it's made by microsoft, don't check it off)
I wouldn't go running around it the registry just like that! Nor would I turn off services willy-nilly. You could potentially end up worse off.

Check your services against this site's guide (a guide for Win2k is also available).

Give your system a thorough clean with Spybot and Adaware to remove most spyware.

Have a flick through add/remove programs, and kill anything you don't need. If there's a process you're not sure about running in the background (ctrl-alt-del task manager), google it to find out what it is doing.

Clean out your browser's cache, and remove all files from your temp directories (C:\Windows\Temp and C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp).

Got an up to date virus scanner? Download one for free.

Download the latest drivers for your various components. Visit Compaq's site first.

Offline Toshiro

Computer Problems
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 02:04:12 PM »
I wouldn't go running around it the registry just like that! Nor would I turn off services willy-nilly. You could potentially end up worse off.
you'r right, sometimes i forget not everybody knows what is which...

Offline Oprime

Computer Problems
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2004, 05:27:57 PM »
Yea

ZeusBD aren't you a network administrator? You should know how most or all the tech words, right? I'm just asking so maybe you'll let us get more technical with what we have to say on the matter.

Offline Mez

Computer Problems
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2004, 06:30:41 AM »
Does this website describe your problem : http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_...Q_21033239.html

The only problem is that if this is your problem you have to pay to see the solution.

Offline ZeusBD

Computer Problems
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2004, 01:49:46 PM »

Check your services against this site's guide (a guide for Win2k is also available).

Give your system a thorough clean with Spybot and Adaware to remove most spyware.

Have a flick through add/remove programs, and kill anything you don't need. If there's a process you're not sure about running in the background (ctrl-alt-del task manager), google it to find out what it is doing.

Clean out your browser's cache, and remove all files from your temp directories (C:\Windows\Temp and C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp).

Got an up to date virus scanner? Download one for free.

Download the latest drivers for your various components. Visit Compaq's site first.
I already posted that I did most of that, but I will give the site a try. I have a virus scanner and both of the adware removers, and I have updated my drivers.

Outpost Prime

ZeusBD aren't you a network administrator? You should know how most or all the tech words, right? I'm just asking so maybe you'll let us get more technical with what we have to say on the matter.

Yes I am a network administrator, so I do recognize the technical words.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 01:50:42 PM by ZeusBD »

Offline ZeusBD

Computer Problems
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2004, 01:55:22 PM »
Does this website describe your problem : http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_...Q_21033239.html

The only problem is that if this is your problem you have to pay to see the solution.
Sorry to double post, but thought that this might get lost in the other post.

Does anyone already have a subscription with them and can maybe post the solution here?

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Computer Problems
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2004, 05:50:30 PM »
Here ya go:

I recently ran into the same 'supervisor' problem.  Basically, the Norton security database has become corrupt or inaccessible.  It will have to be uninstalled using an ugly set of instructions available here.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.n...=&osv=&osv_lvl=

(I have an expert account at the site, so I don't have to look thru the pay crap..... btw, if you scroll all the way down you can see the solution)

Offline Coconut Monkey

Computer Problems
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2004, 05:14:11 AM »
I already posted that I did most of that, but I will give the site a try. I have a virus scanner and both of the adware removers, and I have updated my drivers.
Whoopsie. That'll teach me to pay more attention late at night.

Offline ZeusBD

Computer Problems
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2004, 01:11:45 PM »
Whoopsie. That'll teach me to pay more attention late at night.
Sorry, didn't mean to bite your head off there, thank you for your suggestion's.

Offline ZeusBD

Computer Problems
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2004, 01:16:14 PM »
Here ya go:

I recently ran into the same 'supervisor' problem.  Basically, the Norton security database has become corrupt or inaccessible.  It will have to be uninstalled using an ugly set of instructions available here.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.n...=&osv=&osv_lvl=

(I have an expert account at the site, so I don't have to look thru the pay crap..... btw, if you scroll all the way down you can see the solution)
The only problem is that I have McAfee. Since I'm in the military I get it for free and including every update they come out with...so any solution's for McAfee products?