Author Topic: First Private Manned Space Flight Successful!  (Read 2720 times)

Offline Kal

First Private Manned Space Flight Successful!
« on: June 23, 2004, 12:37:58 AM »
Link

Another Article on Space.com.  This is another interesting find, I think.  The company that designed SpaceShipOne is Scaled Composites, one of the companies racing for the $10 Million X Prize.  The Prize will be awarded to the first private company to build a reusable spacecraft to send a crew of three into low earth orbit -and- do it again with the same craft within 2 weeks of the first launch.

SpaceShipOne carried only one pilot and no crew, so this flight is only a step towards the X Prize.

-Kal
"You have failed...our Colony is Doomed."

Offline Zircon

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 04:06:50 AM »
Successful perhaps but not elegant, they were close to blowing up or simply falling back to earth in a big boom more then once.

The revelations were made by Burt Rutan, designer of SpaceShipOne, which on Monday became the world's first privately funded craft to enter space. Until the team fully understands exactly what went wrong during the flight, he said, they will not go ahead with the pair of flights needed to claim the $10 million Ansari X-Prize.

Luckily, the glitches did not prevent a successful flight. But pilot Mike Melvill said that a partial failure of the system controlling the spacecraft's orientation could have been disastrous if it had occurred just slightly earlier in the flight,.

The problem struck at the end of the rocket engine's firing time of about 70 seconds, just as Melvill reached space. "As I came out of the atmosphere I no longer had any attitude control," Melvill told New Scientist and other reporters. "If that had happened earlier, I would never have made it and you all would be looking sad right now."

Big bang

Although that was the most serious anomaly, it was not the only frightening moment for the 63-year-old test pilot. There was also a loud bang behind him while the rocket engine was firing.

The team believes this was caused by aerodynamic stresses crumpling a composite material fairing around the engine nozzle. However, d*ck Rutan, Burt's brother and a famed test pilot himself, said that fairing could have fallen off completely without endangering the craft.

Melvill's first frightening moment on the historic flight came at the very instant he flipped the switch to turn on the hybrid rocket motor. The craft suddenly lurched over 90° to the right, and as soon as he brought it back to level it then rolled 90° to the right.

"I was ready to hit the switch" to turn off the motor and abort the flight, he said, but the craft remained steady and he was able to continue and achieve the 100 kilometre altitude that officially makes him an astronaut. This difficulty appears unrelated to the later failure of attitude control, Melvill said.

Despite Melvill's 25 years of piloting experimental craft, he found even the normal operation of the rocketship alarming, as it travelled faster and higher than any previous privately-built craft.

Still its a very big step for private space exploration ^_^  

Offline Kal

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 07:55:44 AM »
I agree...I know that I certainly wouldn't have been excited to hear a huge Bang from the Engine when I'm setting a record for distance above the earth. :-)  That Melvill guy has some guts!

I am amused at the bag of M&Ms, hopefully he got them all captured before they have to clean them off the floor of the cockpit.

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 08:22:15 AM »
now we just need Zimmerman to launch his space ship in a few decades time ^^

(anyone who's not watched startrek:1st contact won't get that)
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline Zircon

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 08:51:23 AM »
Zimmerman... Refresh my memory...  :unsure:

Are you talking about Zefram Cochrane  :huh:

Edit: Just noticed that the Production Designer is named Herman Zimmerman...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 08:55:16 AM by Zircon »

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 05:22:01 PM »
yep, problem is, an antimater plasma drive would never be able to propell a craft beyod the speed of light

I would like to know more about that hybrid rocket moter, is it air breathing?

anyway, yea it is cool
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Kal

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 05:47:45 PM »
Speaking of Star Trek...anyone watch the new "Enterprise" Series?

The first two seasons were disappointing (aside from the Pilot and Season 2 Finale), but Season 3 was MUCH better.  I wonder what Season 4 will bring...

-Kal

Offline Zircon

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 06:41:15 PM »
Yes and i think it's great, the last scene in season 3 makes room for a lot of theories...

*a couple of old airplanes fly by*  :blink:

Nazi aliens...  :blink:  

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 06:46:49 PM »
never saw any of the new st
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Kal

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2004, 10:47:14 PM »
I didn't like the Nazi Aliens, but the shuttle pod being shot up by planes was pretty cool :-)

Offline plymoth45

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2004, 06:21:18 PM »
in my opinion, season 3 was kind of *ahem* dark.