Author Topic: Map editing  (Read 3926 times)

Offline Punboy

Map editing
« on: May 31, 2004, 10:39:15 PM »
I'm thinking there should be a built-in map editor. Similar to that in Age of Empires. You make scripts, set lava flows, mines, etc. And also possibly add a feature to have multiple different AI's
Help control the human population. Have your spouse spayed or neutered.

xfir

Map editing
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 12:41:33 AM »
Yea.. sounds good..

I would say use a system similiar to StarEdit, though. I think that triggers and whatnot would be easier to do that way.

Offline Kramy

Map editing
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 01:55:09 AM »
There's one thing I can help with. :) If you detail how you want the map format to be saved(or let me figure it out myself, based on criteria) I can build an Editor in Jamascript, and record everything about the format, so it and your game can be compatible.(Unless you want to do that yourself ;))

On an unrelated note, I just got tile-loading on my Op2 MapEditor done. Now I just need to work on the blocks...tomorrow. :)
-Kramy

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Map editing
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 09:01:41 AM »
What's Jamascript?
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline zeritou

Map editing
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 09:04:24 AM »
however you guys set it up make sure you can make a trigger that tells a unit to do something like:

if tube is not at 20,28 tell closest earthworker to make tube from closest tube to 20,28

or something along those lines
how to insult a klingon:

qatlh Quch Hab ghaj no'ra'
vaj HabHa''a' je 'uSDu'lIj joj

wich translates roughly to:

how come you guys never had those for head bumps in the first staktrek series and do you guys have bumps like that on your genitals too?

Offline Punboy

Map editing
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 10:21:33 AM »
Of course. For those of you who haven't used AOE's map editor, you can make a trigger that is dependent on any game variable or any action (like a building being built somewhere, or anywhere, or a unit going somewhere), and will do anything (like send a unit somewhere, tell a unit to do something, etc). You can also edit terrain, change players, resources, scenario information, etc. Its really quite easy to work with. Although I will check out this StarEdit thingie too.

Offline Kramy

Map editing
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 12:11:51 PM »
Blizzard makes THE BEST editors. If you haven't played starcraft or WC III, buy it and check it out. Those editors are awesome compared to AOE's.(No offense microsoft :P )

Blizzards WC III FT editor lets you basically redo the entire game, since you can import everything. Hmm...lets make a new unit....*import 3d model**import sfx**import....*

Also, if you do make the editor, make it terrain-draggable. That's a must-have. :)
-Kramy

Offline Punboy

Map editing
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2004, 12:18:47 PM »
Of course! If you look at the AOE map editor, you select the type of terrain and how big you want the affected area to be and drag the cursor around. It changes that terrain.

Offline PlayingOutpost0-24

• http://op3np.xfir.net
Map editing
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2004, 12:16:13 AM »
And if the game would have AI, yoüu ahould creat an AI selector . (=ex. Offensive, Defensive, Agressive, Mining, Building, etc.)
Great news for OP2 fans... OP3 in progress.
Official Site
Outpost 3: A New Power progress
OP3:NP Discussion

Progress in OP3:NP[/size][/font]
PLANNING[|||||||||-]
GRAPHICS [||||------]
SOUNDS [|---------]
MAP DESIGNING [|||||-----]
CODING [----------]
Going slowly... Very slow.