Author Topic: Outpost: A New Beginning  (Read 9377 times)

Offline Punboy

Outpost: A New Beginning
« on: April 29, 2004, 08:42:43 PM »
Bonjour,
I know there are already two other sequels to Outpost 2 currently under development, but I thought it would be fun to make one of my own as well, so i am creating one called Outpost: A New Beginning. Basically it starts off where Eden and Plymouth have both gotten off of New Terra, and begun colonizing a new planet (I would appreciate name suggestions). Unfortunately the Blight has detected Eden and Plymouth's starship and has begun constrution on its own. Im not good at story telling, so I'm basically going to just jot down the basic ideas I have, maybe someone else could write a novella?

First off, the blight has intertwined itself with technology... creating a biotechnological hybrid virus. they have a MAJOR advantage over you... they (it?) don't need agridomes, residences, medical centers, recreation facilities, or any other "human" neccessity. They communicate like the Borg do from star trek. However, they also have a major DISadvantage: They can only communicate if they are in line of sight of eachother or via a communications sattelite in orbit. Also, EMP weapons don't just disable them... they kill the Blight units, leaving them as empty shells for use, recycling, or anything else the first person to get there. Also, they need power to survive. Destroy their power source, they die. They have taken precautions to prevent this however, all of their MHD Generators has the same hitpoints as a command center, and is armed with medium-powered particle weapons. Also, each building has its own temporary power generator, so if the power IS cut off, the blight can rebuild a power facility before a building dies off. The blight is also incredibly efficent, having half the production time you do. But, one advantage is that they don't have the "human creativity" required for technological advancement. They have to steal technology from the other colonies in order to survive, whether that means scanning the technology with a scout or taking it over entirely.

Ok, now on to Plymouth and Eden. They each have settled on the new planet, and have managed to maintain a somewhat ok relationship with eachother. Eden and Plymouth still have their disagreements, but Eden has agreed not to attempt any terraforming on the planet, as long as Plymouth doesnt either. To accomplish the task of terraforming, a new colony was established: Sophus, meaning "wise". They are  predominantly science-oriented, given the task of safely terraforming the planet. They have the ultimate say in whatever major changes are made to the planet to make it suitable for unaided human life. The colony is made up of the most open-minded and wisest citizens of both Eden and Plymouth. Their government resembles that of ancient Athens, in that no laws can be changed or anything that will affect everyone else in a drastic way can happen without a vote in the forum (a meeting of all the citizens). This may be a slow approach, but it allows for the best ideas to be presented and debated, as opposed to making a hasty and perhaps deadly decision. Anyway, they aren't anything major except.... well.... they're a colony. They do have their own defensive systems and weapons. Also, secretly Sophus has been changing their own people's genetics so that when the planet is fully terraformed, the environment will be suited only to their needs, and will kill anyone from any of the other colonies.

Ok, so now here is the actual beginning of the game... Eden caught wind of Sophus' plan, and blamed it on Plymouth for not watching them close enough. Plymouth turned around and blamed it on Eden for the same reason. Meanwhile they both are p/o'd at Sophus for even thinking about such a thing. Now there's this huge war between Eden, Plymouth, and Sophus, and the Blight just launched their starship and will arrive in only a few years.

So that's the story...  Time for some technological stuff between the Blight, Eden, Plymouth, and Sophus., starting with Eden... actually i'm going to make a separate post about that... a reply to this one. Oh, if you guys wouldn't mind, could I get a separate forum to post information and discussion about this in? I'm hoping development on this will go fairly quickly, and a semi-playable version will be available within a few months.
Help control the human population. Have your spouse spayed or neutered.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 09:08:37 PM »
I'll see if I can get the admins to do that for ya'
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

xfir

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 10:33:47 PM »
Hmm.. sounds interesting..

PM me with some stats as to how far you've gotten with it and if you have a website.

Phantom

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 01:11:36 AM »
Sounds interesting... well, with all the sequals now, I'll have my op fix (well, once they are all released anyways.)

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2004, 01:54:32 PM »
if sophus' colonists would be what they're called they would try to peacefully live together with the other colonies and not terraform the planet in a way that kills everyone else.

Offline Punboy

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 02:05:34 PM »
Thats exactly what Eden and Plymouth thought. But, power corrupts even the wisest of souls, and they were given absolute power over terraforming.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2004, 03:10:39 PM »
as any of the older members can tell you...
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2004, 10:39:43 AM »
Sounds very interesting, but I have a question. Does the Blight and Sophus get to build Eden and Plymouth's buildings, and some of their own? The Blight did infect everything, and Sophus is made up of Eden and Plymouth colonists.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Punboy

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2004, 01:36:26 PM »
Thats what I'm working onn now, is the tech tree. I welcome all input from you guys, actually i need it :-p. That's a good idea though, except the Blight won't have need for alot of the things plymouth and eden had except for their special weapons. But yes, now that I think about it the Blight will be able to develop Eden and Plymouth structures like the arachnid factory and build spiders AND be able to build weapons like Thor's Hammer. Sophus will be able to build all of plymouth's and Eden's special structures and weapons except for Thor's Hammer and the RPG, because Plymouth and Eden didn't want Sophus to become too powerful... heh...

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2004, 03:48:43 PM »
Oh, and are Eden and Plymouth separate or together?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Punboy

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2004, 04:35:40 PM »
Separate. They were still separate colonies, but they were talking and trading again, and doing join research. And now they're back at war.

Offline ZeusBD

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2004, 01:20:44 PM »
Sounds like a brother and sister fighting to me.

The game sounds like a really good idea. Actually, if made correctly, this story line has the potential to make the game huge. Nice job on thinking of this and thank you for trying to expand the OP realm.
In the dark I'm at home, in the light I'm on the battlefield. A Dragon's life is a constant struggle for survival. But in the end, we will prevail.
Go check out my site: http://www.frankandami.com
E-mail me: ZeusBD at yahoo.com

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2004, 08:25:59 PM »
I btw wonder why nobody makes an Outpost 4.... maybe I should post this in another topic.

If Sophus and the Blight can build Eden's and Plymouth's structures, let them at least look different.

Offline Punboy

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2004, 10:24:51 PM »
Of  course... and hey, maybe I should name mine Outpost 4: A New Beginning :-P

Offline ZeusBD

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2004, 12:12:36 PM »
You have to know the complete storyline of 3 in order to make a number 4, because you could make something that completely difies what is said in 3.....don't start on a 4th until you completely beat number 3 and see the complete story line.
In the dark I'm at home, in the light I'm on the battlefield. A Dragon's life is a constant struggle for survival. But in the end, we will prevail.

Offline Punboy

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2004, 02:35:39 PM »
Ah yes, good point.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2004, 03:25:39 PM »
one problem, though, with three different OP3's, you would need at least three OP4's...
CK9 in outpost

Offline Punboy

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2004, 05:30:52 PM »
Lol, this is true..... unless you added all three together to get Outpost 9.

Wait a minute... but mine isnt an outpost 3! :-P

Offline mustang09-06

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2004, 05:48:41 PM »
On behalf of the OP3: The Final Chapter Creators, I wish you good luck.  And I hope you have fun working on another OP2 sequel.  

Offline Punboy

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2004, 09:12:11 PM »
Thanks, good luck to you guys too.  

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2004, 09:21:41 PM »
gl, hf, dgpo
CK9 in outpost

Offline Punboy

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2004, 10:52:19 PM »
i get the GL and HF, but the meaning of DGPO eludes me

Offline ZeusBD

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2004, 06:34:06 AM »
So what ever happened to this game, are you still making it or is this forum here for nothing?

Offline Axen

• http://www.lisp.org
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2004, 12:38:31 PM »
Whoa, these posts are OLD!!!  I wanted to say, Punboy, that I'd like to help out with the new game in any way possible.  I mean, I can't do all the programming, but something reasonably helpful.

Cheers,
Axen (yes I'm back from the dead! lol, no I just used his name because he's cool)
My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and am therefore excused from saving universes.
-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Offline Punboy

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2004, 09:31:26 PM »
working, slowly but surely. -sigh- still having hardware issues, and i recently got meself a real live honest to god paying job. getting a better computer next month. then programming will be back in full force. dont worry, still workin on it.

Axen, what are your applicable skills? tell me what all you can do (any good with graphics?) and ill see what you can do. :-)