Author Topic: Air units...  (Read 14279 times)

Offline kirby

Air units...
« on: April 09, 2004, 03:25:01 PM »
I've read talk of air units in op3, and while i admit that i love the idea, somethig about it is bugging me. flight principals on earth depend on air pressure, something new terra doesn't have very much of. you cant even keep a chopper airborne where the air is too thin, let alone take off.
I was just wondering what everyone exactly has in mind for these vecs, like wether they are using some sort of magnetic hovering technology (op2 wasnt really that far into the future, so the technology shouldnt be too advanced), or something like ultra-light craft with extremely broad wings...

ps: if anybody tells me they are going to be like the bobcats on the divine order mods page, i'm going to shoot myself in the face.
"You calling me a geek? Listen, dude, dont mess with a geek that has an IQ of 165 and a copy of the anarchists cookbook."

Offline xamlit

Air units...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 05:50:56 PM »
Air units are crazy and cliche.... In other words....useless

Offline zeritou

Air units...
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 07:40:33 PM »
air units are going to happen, garret will come up with a way, dont ruin everyone's hopes kirby
how to insult a klingon:

qatlh Quch Hab ghaj no'ra'
vaj HabHa''a' je 'uSDu'lIj joj

wich translates roughly to:

how come you guys never had those for head bumps in the first staktrek series and do you guys have bumps like that on your genitals too?

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Air units...
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 07:42:24 PM »
Don't need air-units, bcz. they just don't belong to Outpost2.
In my opinion they'd make the game too confused.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Air units...
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 07:51:16 PM »
I don't think air units is a good idea, however, hover units would be neat.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline kirby

Air units...
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 10:33:13 PM »
I'm not for or against it at the moment, i just heard it was a possibility. I'm only going to start criticizing the idea after i hear how it's planning on being done  :whistle:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2004, 10:35:19 PM by kirby »
"You calling me a geek? Listen, dude, dont mess with a geek that has an IQ of 165 and a copy of the anarchists cookbook."

Offline ZeusBD

Air units...
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 11:46:22 PM »
Jet engines are a possibility. They could propell the air craft forward, and if made like a (I can't think of the name, it's a plane that can hover and takes off straight up) and it could have a different type of fuel that we haven't seen on earth, so it might be able to stustain flight longer, or maybe it would have to land every now and then to refuel?
In the dark I'm at home, in the light I'm on the battlefield. A Dragon's life is a constant struggle for survival. But in the end, we will prevail.
Go check out my site: http://www.frankandami.com
E-mail me: ZeusBD at yahoo.com

Phantom

Air units...
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2004, 11:48:59 PM »
(I can't think of the name, it's a plane that can hover and takes off straight up) and it could have a different type of fuel that we haven't seen on earth, so it might be able to stustain flight longer, or maybe it would have to land every now and then to refuel?

I think you are talking about VTOL aircraft (Vertical Takeoff and Landing)

Anyways, I think the X-32 and the Harrier are the only ones with the system thus far.

Anyways, back on topic,
I think aircraft would take away from that Outpost feel. I would not be agains't hover vehicles though.

Offline ZeusBD

Air units...
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2004, 11:53:17 PM »
That was on topic Phantom....and yes the Harrier was what I was trying to think of. Why not have a vec like that, and what I was saying is that that is how something could sustain flight on New Terra or where ever the game is going to take place.
In the dark I'm at home, in the light I'm on the battlefield. A Dragon's life is a constant struggle for survival. But in the end, we will prevail.

Offline knux

Air units...
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2004, 06:21:42 AM »
The VTOLS will make use of magneto-hydrodynamic thrust. A form of jet propulsion. Plus Op3 isn't on new terra.

They will add an interesting change to the game. But they do require rearming as all air units do in games. Otherwise they would kill all.

Offline kirby

Air units...
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2004, 08:14:43 AM »
Not on new terra... i didnt take that into consideration. Well, what kind of environment(s) do you plan on using then?

Offline Zircon

Air units...
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2004, 08:47:32 AM »
Read about the magneto-hydrodynamic thrust, it needs a highly ionized environment to work though, like salt-water.

http://www.rose-hulman.edu/Users/groups/Ca...ts/GROUP_06.PDF
Interesting  ^_^ Perhaps this means New "New Terra" has a very thick ionized environment.

There was also the Magnetoplasmadynamic (MPD) thrusters that use the Lorentz force
 (a force exerted on charged particles by magnetic and electrical fields in combination) to generate thrust. MPD thruster technology has been explored academically, but commercial interest has been low. In theory, such thrusters could produce extremely high specific impulse.

MPD like MHD also suffers from huge corrosion.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 08:53:39 AM by Zircon »

Offline it2000us

Air units...
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2004, 10:50:56 AM »
Hmmm, inteligent words from Z, as always.

Offline Zircon

Air units...
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2004, 12:47:02 PM »
I cant help it *sob* :blush:

I know a bit about it because it's part of a project.

Offline it2000us

Air units...
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2004, 12:53:20 PM »
Its ok, its ok Z, u dont have to hide you'r inteligense. Push away you'r stupid side and release the smartness.

Offline Zircon

Air units...
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2004, 01:08:33 PM »
*mew* Dont feed my ego, it isn't healthy for me...
Aha *points* So that is your plan, you plan to eliminate me *shocked* Sneaky methods IT, sneaky :ph34r:

To get back on topic, i wasn't exactly thrilled about the aircrafts when they were first mentioned.
If they are like in Dune 2000 (as in pretty useless) and only acts as a better kind of transportation and support (example: VTOL) then goodie goodie.
It isnt fun having a dozen of Orcas (bombers) in C&C:Tiberian sun easily blasting enemy bases to tiny bits.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 01:09:32 PM by Zircon »

Offline kirby

Air units...
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2004, 01:44:30 PM »
Let's think about this logically...
Its a war. You have aircraft, you have an enemy, what do you do? You bomb them. Using aircraft purely for transportation really wouldnt happen if this were a real life situation, but then again, this is outpost (thinks back to the EMP missile). Who knows what's going to happen.
One could use the argument that the aircraft need to remain light, so they decided not to equip them with weapons, but that really wouldnt make much sense if they were being used to transport 100+ ton vecs.
Not that i'm trying to start an argument or anything...

Offline Zircon

Air units...
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2004, 02:17:58 PM »
The point was that in Tiberian Sun the orcas were overpowerful, it took 2 orcas with full payload to take out a construction yard (op2 equivelant: The CC & construction factory) and you could easily amass a dozen of them.

It's like putting an atomic bomb into op2, the technology exists and it's effective as a weapon but it tips the fine balance between units in op2.

Even Dune 2000 had combat aircrafts but they were rather used to soften an area before the main troops arrived, and there's nothing wrong with that.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 02:31:12 PM by Zircon »

Offline ZeusBD

Air units...
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2004, 11:58:56 PM »
Lol, I could imagine an atomic bomb in OP2, you would kill them and you all in one go.

What about like on Earth: 2150, they had planes and could drop mini nukes that basically took out everything within a certain radius? We don't have to have a bomb that will blow any everything. Make them expensive, but very deadly.

Offline kirby

Air units...
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2004, 06:48:06 AM »
We have supernovas, they work just fine..
heh, one time i had a fleet of supernovas that was being assaulted by 30 emp missiles, only one made it thru, it got to the edge of the guy's chain of spaceports... yea he quit after that.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Air units...
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2004, 12:27:42 PM »
You could use rockets for flying units.

If you do use flyers, it should be limited, like the Harriers in RA2.... you can't easily "explore" with them, they have one purpose of fly somewhere, drop the bombs, and go right back.

Offline Jgamer

Air units...
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2004, 08:52:49 PM »
seeing as the aircrafts use magnetical forms as propulsion (MHD Prop) tey would be EXTREMELY easy to kill with just 1 shot of emp, causing them fo fall and be destried

Offline kirby

Air units...
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2004, 05:43:11 AM »
or, possibly, fall and be not only extremely damaged, but open for capture... i like this idea
« Last Edit: April 16, 2004, 04:17:21 PM by kirby »

Offline knux

Air units...
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2004, 07:14:32 AM »
VTOLS do have to land, when they are not moving. Therefore when, landed they are open to attack from ground units.

The MHD tech would mainly be used to reduce the air friction and improve engine output.

The VTOLS are small and cannot hold too powerful weapons as they would be too unbalanced and too slow. They will mainly be used as bombers and quick strike craft.

The vehicle transporter will not be armed and will be slow and open to attack.

The only super powered weapon would be available late in a multiplayer game. The eagerly awaited attack sattelites.

Offline Kramy

Air units...
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2004, 12:47:55 PM »
I like the idea of a "scout aircraft" for later in the game, when scouts die too easy. Maybe it could be made at the spaceport or something. I don't think aircraft would fit in outpost though. Hover tech is neat though. For a hefty cost, you can go right over lava and into the back of your enemy's base. :P
-Kramy