Author Topic: Population Engine  (Read 12047 times)

Offline knux

Population Engine
« on: April 01, 2004, 08:18:07 PM »
I am having trouble deciding what to do with some of the population engine settings so I'll ask everyone what they think.

For scientist/worker training via the university what would you like in op3:

Current op2 system:
Uni turns children into workers automatically. Can be instructed to turn a selected number of workers into scientists.

Op3 option 1:
Have uni automatically train scientists based on current population (ie always have a set proportion of the population as scientists).

Op3 option 2:
Have a manpower slider to transfer available workers from pool into research. (ie take workers from production and put them into research).

What does everyone think?

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Population Engine
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 11:10:13 PM »
I like all of them, they all have their good points.  may I make a sugestion?

If it is possible, maby have the university auto-train, but you set the population standards.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline knux

Population Engine
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 01:22:44 AM »
Thats a good idea. A mix of the two. Anyone else?

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Population Engine
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 03:31:07 AM »
I dislike the 3rd, bcz it'd make things too easy.

current op2 system is useful, when ur colony is small, op3 1 if it is big.
The best would be a possibility to choose between these two.

Offline Leviathan

Population Engine
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 05:44:22 AM »
the system is op2 is bad bcuz u cant just build loads like in other RTS games, u need the workers for the buildings. once u have a lot of buildings ur researsh will b v slow cuz u have no scientists.

personialy i dislike this as im used 2 and like 2 play where all u need for the buildings is minerials.

when playing on lan we use the population cheat so we can play like that. makes it better imo.

Offline Jgamer

Population Engine
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 06:53:29 AM »
i liked the op3 first option

Offline ZeusBD

Population Engine
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 08:24:10 AM »
I disagree Lev....if you make it so that you don't have to worry about people, then it would take away some from the strategy part of it. I like the OP3 option 1, or like was suggested, maybe you could choose from either option.
In the dark I'm at home, in the light I'm on the battlefield. A Dragon's life is a constant struggle for survival. But in the end, we will prevail.
Go check out my site: http://www.frankandami.com
E-mail me: ZeusBD at yahoo.com

Offline Kiith Somtaaw

Population Engine
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 07:51:28 PM »
I'm not sure about the OP3 Option1,

If the University trains Workers to Scientist automatically,
You will not have many workers for future buildings.

But if you can set an amount of scientist to a certain number, such as 32 for example, the computer will train workers automatically to keep the amount of scientists to that number.

But if you have like 10 Workers and 22 Scientist and build a University the Computer will train the 10 Workers leaving you with none.

So I will have to choose the Current OP2 System,
Therefore if you need Scientist you can set how many you want and train them without loosing allot of workers.

Offline Leviathan

Population Engine
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2004, 05:37:29 AM »
Kiith if ur buildings dont have enough workers to support them, scientist's will be used.

in op2 if the scientists r on researsh then u have 2 manualy take them off it so that they go on2 the buildings.

mayb a system 2 automaticly remove scientist's from researsh and put on2 buildings could b introduced.

Offline TH300

Population Engine
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2004, 01:51:18 PM »
great idea, Leviathan, but only for multiplayer-games with steady moral.

In colony-games and the Campeign the moral will go down, if u use scientists as workers.

Offline Kiith Somtaaw

Population Engine
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2004, 02:16:50 PM »
great idea, Leviathan, but only for multiplayer-games with steady moral.

In colony-games and the Campeign the moral will go down, if u use scientists as workers.
Yes that was exactly my thought on Leviathan's Post

Offline knux

Population Engine
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2004, 03:31:48 AM »
So it seems that the current op2 system is the most popular. I may tweak it, but I'll use the same system.

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
Population Engine
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2004, 03:23:10 PM »
hum...

DO NOT change the population growth system, this ISN'T C&C after all.

however, you could have different upgrades that allow for a more fluid system...
such as, having more then a 10-max training roster per university (say up to around 30 max... as no one should be training more then 30 at a time... by the time you can have that many free workers, you've probably already gotten through much of the total research tree)
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline Kramy

Population Engine
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2004, 01:16:31 PM »
If you have 30 free workers to train, chances are you can afford to build a couple universities. :P
-Kramy

Offline TH300

Population Engine
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2004, 08:05:03 PM »
If you have 30 free workers to train, chances are you can afford to build a couple universities. :P
Sounds funny, but there may not be any structure-limit.

Research that would reduce bad effects on the morale caused by too many unemployed colonists would also be good.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Population Engine
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2004, 10:23:30 PM »
I definately agree with the OP2 system. I find it really adds something to the game. Although, I see nothing wrong with tweaking it a little. It might be nice to have it auto train workers, but only if you've enabled that option. I like being able to keep complete control over whatever I can. But hey, I might be a bit of a control freak.  ;)

Offline FallTime

• http://www.borkovec.com/falltime/
Population Engine
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2004, 08:58:24 AM »
I like the OP2 system too. And to the max scientists: I could use it, because if I'm playing OP2 with brother and I build spaceship, I need as much scientists as availiable, because the game isn't won by leaving, so I launch the ship and after launch I have some scientists to run the colony(not ideal, but I can take about 10 scis now )
Sorry for my English. I like penguins. I'm neutral 'bout Linux.
------------------------------------------------
Don't judge people of their look

Kiler

Population Engine
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2004, 07:48:01 AM »
Option 1 please! I hate it when all my scientists die and I can't do anything.

Offline FallTime

• http://www.borkovec.com/falltime/
Population Engine
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2004, 09:27:13 AM »
Yes, the only thing that I would want to change: don't let scientists die before workers! When I would get food shortfall, my scientists die and I cannot do anything from that time...
Sorry for my English. I like penguins. I'm neutral 'bout Linux.
------------------------------------------------
Don't judge people of their look

Offline Kramy

Population Engine
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2004, 12:54:51 PM »
Ofcourse scientists die normally after a while. But yes, if there's no food, the children should be the first ones to go so the colony can be maintained....then again that would be bad for morale, so maybe the workers? :huh:  
-Kramy

Offline TH300

Population Engine
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2004, 01:38:39 AM »
If there's not enough food, they should first share what's there (everybody gets less, but enough to survive for a while)

Offline Ezekel

Population Engine
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2004, 11:31:25 AM »
be realistic here... if you were in a drought... and everyone is short of food, wouldn't you give your children what you have?

i mean, thats human nature... and besides, no children=no future... if your short on food, you'll need children in game terms, so as to replace the workers...

speaking of which, there is one thing i have thought about... and thats the university... yeh it should increase worker training rates, but workers should still get trained anyway... you know, by the people who currently run the job

Offline knux

Population Engine
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2004, 08:47:37 PM »
Well the uni will automatically generate workers from children as long as it is online. I don't think I'll have research to speed it up but I may have research to speed up scientist training. But it will be much faster then op2.

Offline Ezekel

Population Engine
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2004, 03:09:56 AM »
no you misunderstood me knux, i was talking about the fact that if you in op2 have a colony without a university, then you'll end up with a load of children. if you read the manual, or the online manual, it mentions somewhere that children are actually all untrained colonists in teh colony... so you could have an 84 year old still get counted as a child (though "children" won't have kids... ... mrrr) ... but really, you should still have workers being trained ... i mean, if you have 1 person who works at the agridome, then he could teach a child how it works ... and the same with other (non scientist) jobs.
the metal storages only need people in case there is a clog, which is dealt with by pressing a button... does that really require oxford-level training to do?

basically, all i'm saying is that, workers should still be trained in a colony, just very slowly if there is no university.

now before ppl start saying the same about the nursery, i'll point out that in op2, the two would be parents would have to go to the nursery to get screened and stuff... and to get permission, as the population has to be controlled when on an airless planet.

Offline PlayingOutpost0-24

• http://op3np.xfir.net
Population Engine
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2004, 07:09:15 AM »
There should be a counter of the women (cuz women rarely work as a technician)
Great news for OP2 fans... OP3 in progress.
Official Site
Outpost 3: A New Power progress
OP3:NP Discussion

Progress in OP3:NP[/size][/font]
PLANNING[|||||||||-]
GRAPHICS [||||------]
SOUNDS [|---------]
MAP DESIGNING [|||||-----]
CODING [----------]
Going slowly... Very slow.