Poll

Who's to blame for America's obesity problem?

Individual's
30 (81.1%)
Food Industry
7 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Obesity  (Read 16324 times)

Offline jesusfreak06

Obesity
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2005, 08:11:53 AM »
wow, i just found this topic.. well, i weigh 115, and i'm 5'3 (i no, i'm short, mustang and GPG pick on me bout it all the time) lol. i weight 105 befor track started, but after track i started to over eat, and i no run (w/ all my events) the mile, the half mile, and i tripple jump. we were eatin at a resturant and i couldn't decide what size of onion rings to get and i asked the waiter how big the portions were and my cousin said "she eats like a grown man!" and the waitress said "a large it is!" lol, i do eat a lot, but i'm SO active w/ 3 dance classe and track almost every day plus runnin on my own, plus weight lifting when i can, i can afford to (and the 10 pounds is muscle, my max bench is 100 lbs.. ) but i do believe that it's all the person... places like Mcdonalds don't help by puttin salt in all their food products, but it's the individual's fault for eating there (and if the person has a thyroid problem, y r they eating fast food if they can avoid it?)  
I am a dork! but hey, i'm a Christian dork.

Offline Mez

Obesity
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2005, 10:37:07 AM »
It is partially self control yes.

Yes salt is put in food by chefs and at resturants, which isn;t needed at all.
You do not, EVER need to add salt to food, there is enough salt in the food already.
Then you have the problem of people eating far more than they need to, you dont need to eat untill you are full. You need to eat as much as your body requires.

People ask how do you do that?  Well the feeling that you are full is actually your stomach saying dont feed me any more or ill be sick , not im full and dont need any more food.  By abusing this reaction/feeling and stuffing more down your face then you will get fat as you are training the reaction not to occur and in turn make your stomach bigger.

We as a society would be much better off if we got rid of the eat until your full or eat everything on your plate culture. Why do you think it is culture in the East to leave food on the plate -- To signify you dont want anythign else.

Offline Hawk

• http://wonbirdsofprey.tripod.com
Obesity
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2005, 05:34:17 AM »
Under normal circumstances, one does not need to add salt to their food.  There have been many times I've come back from sector with salt stains on my clothes from sweating so much.  In an enviromnemt like where I am, you need the extra salt to replinish what you lose through sweating.  Don't believe me?  Spend some time in the sandbox.  I, personally, do eat rather unhealthy.  Back in the states, I'd typically eat fast food at least once everyday, but I had a "healthy" lifestyle to go along with it (some would disagree).  I've seen people hit the gym nearly everyday, drink nothing but water and eat relatively healthy that are active, but still can't get rid of their gut.  Genetics puts the gut there.  Maybe it can be reduced.  I know for sure the individual can take off the flab around the arms, legs and neck.

??? lbs
5'11"
Best 2 mile time: 13:15
Latest 2 mile time: 14:35 (hard to run in the sandbox)
<PÅ>Hawk "Birds of Prey"

Offline Mez

Obesity
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2005, 06:28:22 PM »
The gut is also determined by your metablolism - which as u say is geneitic

Offline jesusfreak06

Obesity
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2005, 08:16:01 AM »
well, all the woman (my mommy and my aunt) took after their father who was VERY tall and skinny but i took after my dad's side... lol, short (i have a fast matabolism and eat like everyfing in site and STILL get hunger pains...) lol, i just got braces and can't eat nefing and i'm like FREAKIN out.. lol... but neways, my brother takes after my mom (he's 8 and like a ft shorter than me... it's not kool... lol) and he's very skinny (and he complains that he's fat when he weighs like 55 lbs..) it's kinda scary b/c he does his best to get outta eating and it worries me that he tries to skip meals or just messes around when he eats b/c he's worried about weight... hmm, what's this world commin to when an 8 yr old finks he's fat?... hopefully it's just a phase.. a girl in my class was belemic (she's now getin help) but u could literally c EVERY bone in her body and she could wrap her hand around her bicep (u should NOT b able to do that..) but then again, how could a parent no say nefing when their already skinny (smaller than me and i'm tiny) daughter starts losein weight majorly?... who no's.. but i'm glad that she's gettin help

ppl eat b/c they're too fat, ppl don't eat b/c they're too fat... wait, where's the gray area where everyone's happy w/ themselves???? not in today's society, the gray area died when Mc Donalds and Wal Marts opened and ppl used them as an excuse to get lazy and fat...

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
Obesity
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2005, 08:42:18 AM »
both and neither.

its the individual's fault - but only to a certain degree. after all its a nature requirement to eat.
and the food companies... well i'd rather not put the blame squarely on them, but on the ppl who give the liscenses, after all the food companies are trying their best to make profit as mush as possible.

basically its everyones fault more or less.

parents should be included in it too -it's their responsibility to read the packets when their kids are young and when the kids get older then they will develop good habits like avoiding bad food habits
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline Leviathan

Obesity
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2005, 08:48:36 AM »
its the individual's fault.

its down to personal choice.

and body type is down to genetics, there are only a few different body types.  

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Obesity
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2005, 04:25:49 PM »
i think Genetics and Psychological are an excuse.  As for people being fat.  If they want to be fat let them.  If they dont get them off the bad foods and drinks.  It really comes down to a choice to be fat or not to be fat.

Offline jesusfreak06

Obesity
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2005, 10:02:08 PM »
my mommy always said that if a person eats b/c they r fat and unhappy and they get even fatter from this, then it's their fault... u don't have to eat to make urself happy, but rathereat till ur body has the nutrients it needs... like those ppl on talk shows that say that life got so tough that they resorted to food to make fings better... not smart...

Offline Phantom

Obesity
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2005, 03:42:33 PM »
I don't mind the campaign, and I also agree, It is the individual's fault. Sure the fast food companies make the food, but who chooses to eat their instead of going to the grocery store? Me! And who is it that gets the Large #6 Combo with a large mozzerella sticks instead of fries at Arby's? Me!

So remember, don't blame other people for your problems.

[rant]
I do think it is somewhat sacriligious that they are making cookie monster eat less cookies. And for cookie monster, cookies should not be a "Sometimes Food", I mean come on! He's freakin' cookie monster for heavens sake! Yep. the evil s.s. dictators (S.S. for Seseme Street, lol) is blaming cookie monster for obesity in youth, and are denying him a large portion of the only food that sustains him! I also heard that they are going to have him eating healthy foods, but healthy for WHOM may I ask? Oh sure vegtables and fruit may be good for us, but to a mythical creature such as the Cookie Monster, it is poison I say, poison! Which leads me to believe that there is a pre-existing plot to "take out" the cookie monster so that the evil seseme street buracrats can give more time to Elmo's World, which, In my opinion, is most likely a front for an illicit drug smuggling corporation based in Colombia.[/rant]
Crappy Avatar by me. lol
My website: EQT RPG

Here comes the Thnikkaman!!!

"Bringing the metal back to where it belongs!" - Limozeen

Offline OP2Patriot

Obesity
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2005, 12:52:13 PM »
*quick soapbox trip*

See, the reason why people get fat is most likely they somehow get addicted to eating food. Now is that the food's fault, no.

Saying it's the foods fault for someone getting addicted on it is like saying it's the cocaine's fault for the drugee getting addicted on it.

*end of trip*

The Forbidden Outpost 2 Forum ... they don't want you to know about it.
Yell if the above link disappears.

Offline Phantom

Obesity
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2005, 02:52:55 PM »
Its kind of like the add that DARE and those people use:

"Just Say No"

They should also add:

"Don't blame everyone else for your problems you freakin pansy"
Crappy Avatar by me. lol

Offline ZeusBD

Obesity
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2005, 10:28:42 AM »
Wow, this topic has lasted 2 months over a year....I guess I really hit a sweet spot. Well, like I said before, I blame the individual. I recently stopped drinking pop (only drink one once and week for the last 6 weeks) and stopped eating sweets. I work out more and what do you know, I've lost 20 pounds in 6 weeks. Now, I wasn't a heavy guy, but now I think I look great. The moral of my story is that when I started to watch what I ate I lost weight that was only there because I didn't eat right.
In the dark I'm at home, in the light I'm on the battlefield. A Dragon's life is a constant struggle for survival. But in the end, we will prevail.
Go check out my site: http://www.frankandami.com
E-mail me: ZeusBD at yahoo.com

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Obesity
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2005, 03:43:20 PM »
So what do you say to the underweight people who'd like to gain weight? Either extreme can be quite unhealthy.

Offline Phantom

Obesity
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2005, 05:34:11 PM »
Underwieght people should probably hold off on the cardio (If they are doing a lot of it), and eat a little more, not nessessarily unhealthy foods, but chicken and stuff like that.

Back on topic: I switched over to Diet soda, and reduced the amount I drink, this wasn't really a problem for me because I usually drink non-fat milk and water.

And I found out that juice isn't that great for you to have all of the time. It is loaded with sugar.

I do need to start getting in shape though, but I'm too lazy. lol.
Crappy Avatar by me. lol

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Obesity
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2005, 10:36:30 AM »
I have one last thing to say about this topic:

"I turn on the tube and what do I see
A whole lotta people cryin’ ’don’t blame me’
They point their crooked little fingers ar everybody else
Spend all their time feelin’ sorry for themselves
Victim of this, victim of that
Your momma’s too thin; your daddy’s too fat

Get over it
Get over it
All this whinin’ and cryin’ and pitchin’ a fit
Get over it, get over it

You say you haven’t been the same since you had your little crash
But you might feel better if I gave you some cash
The more I think about it, old billy was right
Let’s kill all the lawyers, kill ’em tonight
You don’t want to work, you want to live like a king
But the big, bad world doesn’t owe you a thing

Get over it
Get over it
If you don’t want to play, then you might as well split
Get over it, get over it

It’s like going to confession every time I hear you speak
You’re makin’ the most of your losin’ streak
Some call it sick, but I call it weak

You drag it around like a ball and chain
You wallow in the guilt; you wallow in the pain
You wave it like a flag, you wear it like a crown
Got your mind in the gutter, bringin’ everybody down
Complain about the present and blame it on the past
I’d like to find your inner child and kick it’s little ass

Get over it
Get over it
All this b****in’ and moanin’ and pitchin’ a fit
Get over it, get over it

Get over it
Get over it
It’s gotta stop sometime, so why don’t you quit
Get over it, get over it "

:heh:
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names