Author Topic: Outpost The Movie  (Read 25005 times)

Offline selfdestruct

Outpost The Movie
« on: February 16, 2004, 11:04:42 PM »
considering the idea for the car and mass outpost dreams of what the car is going to look like in outpost style. I have created in my head and some  script  outpost the movie, This will not i repeat not be a chease budjet film, i have decided to take the first oupost 1 blend into the second and show some of 3 and leave us the fans sastisfied and other non outpost fans the intoxicating feel of what this game was all about, the real task lies ahead in making it the most releastic story possible that takes or wonderful 2d world and changing it to 3d film that can bounce back and forth from the colinsits view, the commnder, the syban computer system ,the entire land scape ,to the  vehicles etc and make one extreme move that will be put into imortilization with clasics like star wars lord of the rings, back to the future, rocky ,etc but will even rivel these and be on top as the most blown away mouth droping action/drama/science fiction jorney of all time. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 11:11:03 PM by selfdestruct »
OUTPOST OBSESSION IS CONTAGIOUS

Offline Kiith Somtaaw

Outpost The Movie
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 11:09:00 PM »
Now that sounds cool, I'll talk to some of my buddies down at MGM to see if we can work out a script for it, I love turning games into movies.

Has anyone seen the movie Wing Commander? that was cool.

PS. I don't have buddies at MGM Studios
lol

Offline xamlit

Outpost The Movie
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 09:14:11 AM »
I could donate a couple million dollars if you like? (thumbsup)  

Offline Kiith Somtaaw

Outpost The Movie
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 11:43:59 AM »
Oh yes Please!
 :D

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
Outpost The Movie
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 03:49:49 PM »
I can't wait!  Get zircon to make you 3d battle scenes. :)

xfir

Outpost The Movie
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 06:29:29 PM »
I suppose if you can get a good financer and some budget money.. not to mention artists and actors (or just ourselves) we could make such a movie.

Maybe you could get Philip to write the story.

Offline OP2Patriot

Outpost The Movie
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 09:09:41 PM »
I currently have done little with my novellas. I have had some ideas for them, and will get back to them ... sometime. (This is coming from the currently least active admin)

I would be interested in writing a script. Making Outpost 1 into a movie will be a challenge, and one than one script writer/plot consultant/whatever would be appreciated.

EDIT: Here are my thoughts about a movie about Outpost:

Ok, first off, Outpost 1 can be a standalone movie, but I don’t think it would be as good as an Outpost 2 centered movie. I think it would be best to start off the first 20-30 minutes with Outpost 1, and end in Outpost 2. There is no way that all three can be put together in one movie. Including Outpost 3 is out of the question.

Timeline:

(scene 1)
We start off with the Conestoga leaving the solar system. As the Conestoga is moving, we’d have a narrator fill in on what is happening. The narrator would say how the asteroid was found, the whole attempt to blow it up, what is the Conestoga program, and where the asteroids hit on Earth.

Between Scene 1 & 2: Possibility: Atlas Rebellion
Only a possibility, it may be better to just not have the Atlas rebellion in at all

(scene 2)
On the Conestoga, we will have the formation of the Eden Council. Then we have the problematic task of settling a colony on New Terra. We finish off with order being established in Eden.

(scene 3)
We see Eden from above, and see it grow it fast motion. Meanwhile, the narrator talks about Eden and how it grows.

(scene 4 and late)
We either go with the OP2 novella
My novella
And what I am leaning towards: both novellas

Unfortunately, we have two different OP3s being done. What we want to do is have things done to the point where we do not go into the beginning plot of either Outpost 3.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 10:12:12 PM by OP2Patriot »

The Forbidden Outpost 2 Forum ... they don't want you to know about it.
Yell if the above link disappears.

Offline plymoth45

Outpost The Movie
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 09:25:37 AM »
oh, the computers are savant computers. Wing commander was cool. I have the game Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger, very cool game, runs as far up on OSs as Win ME, i haven't gotten it to work on xp, something conflicts with the video system WC3 uses.

Offline Kiith Somtaaw

Outpost The Movie
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 09:27:29 AM »
I've Get the same game, I don't play it as often anymore though.

Offline Oprime

• http://Moogleforest.net
Outpost The Movie
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004, 09:27:43 AM »
This is a great idea (thumbsup) . But, how are ya guys gonna pull it off....Actors....3D artest and the bunch. It would be Phat if you guys decided to make it a 3D movie like that Fanal Fantasy movie. The only difference is that it would be good :whistle: and if you guys use something like a Beowolf workstation (Super Computer made of many other workstations) it would look great. Does anybody want to share processor idle time? B)  
CPU: AMD Phenom II 940BE
RAM: Patriot Viper 4GB (2GB x2) DDR2 1066Mhz
Motherboard: MSI K9A2 Platinum
Case: Thermaltake Armor Plus+
Power Supply: Themermatake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU
Hard Drive: Fujitsu 15k SAS SCSI 74GB/148GB Raid 0 @ 189MBps
Moniter: LG Flatron 20.1in Widescreen LCD 8ms 1400:1 Contrast ratio w/ F engine
GFX Card: 4 ATI Radeon 4870 1GB GDDR5 CrossFireX
DVD Burners: 2x SONY DVD-RW
Speakers[/b] Logitech Z-5500 505Watt 5.1 Surround
CPU Heatsink[/b]ZeroTerm NV120
OS[/b]Windows Vista Home Premium x64
:P I'm a Hardware freak ><

Offline Zircon

Outpost The Movie
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 09:37:25 AM »
Just because you have a super computer it doesn't mean something will look good...

A faster computer only affects rendering time...

I could render final fantasy on my computer, the only difference is that it would take a lot longer...

Offline plymoth45

Outpost The Movie
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2004, 09:38:22 AM »
true, so true, and it all depends on video quality, sound quality, ect.

Offline Oprime

Outpost The Movie
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2004, 09:45:37 AM »
If you are gonna make a movie I think you would need it. And also some Massive HD to store all the models and then for Encoding a lot of power would be needed. Don't companys like the company that made Finding Nemo use Macs to make their movies.

Offline Zircon

Outpost The Movie
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2004, 11:21:41 AM »
Macs are mainly used for 2d rendering and manipulation these days, more and more companies have switched over to intel based solutions...

They didn't use macs for 3d work before either, studios like Industrial Light & Magic, Sony Pictures Imageworks, and Pixar invested in SGI hardware but has as said switched to intel based solutions...

Macs still rule the land of 2d and editing though...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 11:22:35 AM by Zircon »

Offline selfdestruct

Outpost The Movie
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2004, 04:14:24 PM »
Back the tiger off, i never said that tis was going to be completely computer generated, first off i have practally unlimited rescorces in my college including staff that can advise me, my main field im in is entertainment technology, lights sound. projection, fx, and sets , im going to practaclly have unlimited resorces and knowledge to complete this film, all i need is a scrit that can match up to my vision and all input its graciously accepted, i need concept art and i need an acruite list of charactors and what should the inside of the buildings look like, the tube system the upcolse look at the vehicles the landscape has to be a key importance.. i dont want this too look like just another copy of another scifi film , also i need to come up wtihthe future colonies of ne haven the bight or what ever side is made up for futer outpost3
OUTPOST OBSESSION IS CONTAGIOUS

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Outpost The Movie
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2004, 04:35:16 PM »
Ok. Places like Pixar use specialized equipment that is designed ONLY for 3d rendering.

It's not a normal piece of crap like a Mac (Grr, I hate those). No they don't use Macs, nor PC's to do the work.

There are special workstations, and racks upon racks of processors that do nothing but rendering.

Rendering with consumer computer equipment would take years (No - I am not kidding).

I once watched a show on Pixar and it said with rooms full of 1000's of processors it still takes 2+ months of nonstop to render a whole movie.

In Monsters, Inc. a couple scenes are so complex (I think the monorail thing) that ONE FRAME of them took 2 days - week, just for one frame. (If I remember right).

Offline Zircon

Outpost The Movie
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2004, 05:07:17 PM »
Just as a note, I said Intel based "solutions"...
That isn't the same as a 2 ghz p4 pc...

Also 2 days up to a week sounds exaggerated...

Example, You get to see the monorail scene for several seconds, 1 second is (normal) 30 frames...

2 to 7 days * (30 * number of seconds) becomes a lot of time, it would make more sense if they said that the monorail "part" took 2 days to a week...

The processor farms, were/are the SGI hardware...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 05:21:03 PM by Zircon »

Offline Oprime

Outpost The Movie
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2004, 05:12:15 PM »
:heh: I didn't mean to cause trouble I was just thinking it would be phat to have it as a 3D rendering.

Hmm......What if we had a room filled with 30 computers with these specs:
Pentium 4 3.2Ghz Extream (dual if they make these multi tread :P )<---Most be rich to have one of these :P
4Gigs of 550Mhz DDR
GeforceFX 5950 ultra 256DDRII 8x agp

All of them would be connected to a Beowolf linux Network and use Giga Ethernet for the connection. I wonder how much it would cost for a setup like this? And what kind of equipment do those companys use? This is a big question sorry if it's to much for you guys I'm just thinking out loud. Don't worry Hacker I hate Macs too GRRR. Just thinking about Macs makes my head hurt from all the debates I had with my friend that loves Macs.

Offline plymoth45

Outpost The Movie
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2004, 06:25:24 PM »
in my opinion, macs absolutely SUCK, even if they do currently have the fastest computer. And it would cost around 50 million for your idea to work Prime. (best guess)

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Outpost The Movie
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2004, 08:17:09 PM »
to make it production worthy, yes

but once we have a script, it would probly only take a copule months of cgi work by a couple of people that are very bord and have nothing better to do lol

*not nameing anyone in perticuler*

but we know they alrdy have the computer rendering software, so we wouldnt have to pay for that, and if we can settle for somthing less than perfect

*I doubt any of us are expecting cgi quality of "Final Fantisy the Spirits Within"*

I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Oprime

Outpost The Movie
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2004, 07:24:32 AM »
:lol: The P4 processor alone would cost $1000 and that much ram..... With that kind of setup I think a movie could be done in less then half the time.  awww to be young, rich, famous, and with a Super Computer :lol: How long did it take to make those models? Whoops going off topic.....Who would be the actors of this great film?

Offline Luweeg64

• http://gcuco.netfirms.com
Outpost The Movie
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2004, 07:39:21 AM »
that would be crazy, we should shoot a live action movie...THINK OF IT, It could have like Pierce Brosnan and stuff......wow

Offline Kiith Somtaaw

Outpost The Movie
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2004, 08:26:39 AM »
If you did a movie with actors and stuff, you would have to build sets, and pay for
the actors and the sets and stuff.
but if you did an animation, the only thing your paying for is the electricity bill.

Sure an movie would be easier, but an animation is less expensive.

Offline plymoth45

Outpost The Movie
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2004, 09:22:55 AM »
that is true, but i don't know much about that sort of thing.

Offline Leviathan

Outpost The Movie
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2004, 01:14:41 PM »
this is a great idea, it needs 2 b done.
I had thort of doing some sort of op2 animation not long ago, i had 2 make all the models first so i kinda stoped work on it.