Author Topic: Regarding OP2's presence on GOG  (Read 6320 times)

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Regarding OP2's presence on GOG
« on: May 29, 2020, 01:57:09 PM »
As some have already discovered, Activision has officially released an updated version of Outpost 2 on GOG. The link is here: https://www.gog.com/game/outpost_2_divided_destiny - it appears to be $5.99 USD at time of writing.

Effective immediately, in order to comply with the updated license agreement for the GOG version, we are ceasing distribution of the community updates for OP2 (and OP1 as well, to be on the safe side) until we can figure out a way to make these compliant with the licensing for the official, updated GOG version. Our community patched version does contain new missions that are not found in the GOG version, as well as various bugfixes and improvements to make the game run better on modern versions of Windows. In particular, the issue with the community version is that it contains modified versions of the original game files which we are technically not supposed to re-distribute per the current EULA. Regrettably this also means that the Mac version is no longer available as well, but you may have some success using WineBottler and the Windows version of GOG to download, install, and play the GOG release of the game (note: not tested by us).

Unfortunately, the GOG version does not support internet play (only LAN play via an IPX emulator), forces the game to run in a low, fullscreeen resolution, and does not contain any new missions, bugfixes, or content. The good news is that Arklon and I have been working on an update to the community patch that we believe will be compliant with the license agreement and compatible with the GOG version (that is, does not require modifications any of the original game files) - stay tuned for further updates.

Offline Gemeaux333

Re: Regarding OP2's presence on GOG
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 08:45:59 AM »
Does that mean that Activision have found interests in reviving the franchise ?

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 03:42:17 AM »
Unlikely. If I had to fathom a guess, I'd say that GOG reached out to Activision after a bunch of their users whined about how OP2 wasn't on GoG (you know, because Google apparently isn't a thing and OPU is so hard to find ::) ) and Activision agreed with a dismissive hand wave along the lines of "Yeah, whatever, just give us money."
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 03:45:26 AM by leeor_net »

Offline Gemeaux333

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 09:26:03 AM »
This is what happened with Syndicate, it was mostly unknown before it landed on GOG, and then it had so much success that EA made a reboot (a disappointing one needless to say), besides Activision have already revived the Sierra brand, I would be surprises if it followed the same pattern...

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 06:02:03 PM »
Yeah but they're probably focused on Sierra's actually successful IP's like Leisure Suit Larry, King's Quest, Space Quest and The Incredible Machine. It would be great if they revived the Outpost series but I doubt it'll happen, Outpost was never very popular. As a business like Activision, they're going to focus on the franchises that'll actually make them money.

Who knows though, maybe I'll be wrong and they suddenly release an Outpost reboot?

There hasn't been a change in the status of the trademark on the same so that kinda tells the whole story.

Offline Gemeaux333

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 12:19:10 AM »
At worst they would made a browser game based on Outpost, its probably the best choice if it had to involve micro transactions (EA do that with its old licenses, when they care about them)...

Offline instigator

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 09:52:00 PM »
Was playing factorio, saw some cliffs and immediately thought of op2. Had to come visit!

I vividly remember the stories between campaign missions growing up. They really got to me since I was an imaginative book reader at the time. Glad to see the effort on making a compatible community version.

Offline Gemeaux333

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 11:43:31 PM »
There is another brand I would like Activision to revive : Call to Power ("Sid Meier's Civilization 2" spin-off)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 12:40:20 PM »
It'd be great if they did bring back some of these older games. It's unfortunate that many of these companies are only ever focused on the bottom line. Granted you don't stay in business for 40+ years if the bottom line isn't a concern but sometimes I wish there was a bit more humanity in the industry instead of this constant churn of 'product' that results in the kind of shovelware we see today.

Offline Gemeaux333

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 11:01:42 AM »
I wondered, is there any way to contact Activision about these kinds of request ? I ask because I find nothing that fit...

Offline lordpalandus

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 03:06:23 AM »
Most mega-corporations don't have an easy way for people to contact them to make those kinds of requests.

The only real way to get their attention is:
- A sufficiently large Change.org with tons of signatures.
- Somehow cause their stock price to drop.
- Pitch the game to some developer, who then pitches it to Activision.

Unfortunately with Outpost 2, that is unlikely to happen. Can try though.
Currently working on Cataclysm of Chaos, Remade.
Link to OPU page = http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,6073.0.html

Offline Gemeaux333

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 09:21:54 AM »
Call to power was developped internally to Activision, but there must be a way to contact the Sierra brand...

Offline lordpalandus

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2020, 11:00:05 PM »
The original Sierra brand or the new Sierra brand? The original went defunct and bankrupt in 2008. The new brand was created in 2014, I think.
Currently working on Cataclysm of Chaos, Remade.
Link to OPU page = http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,6073.0.html

Offline Gemeaux333

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2020, 09:34:01 AM »
the new for sure

Offline pdemon

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2020, 03:10:03 PM »
Any word on progress toward the release of the 1.4.0 GoG compatible patch? I hadn't thought of this game in decades and I seem to have looked it up a few months too late.

Offline instigator

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2020, 03:18:36 PM »
Any word on progress toward the release of the 1.4.0 GoG compatible patch? I hadn't thought of this game in decades and I seem to have looked it up a few months too late.

I'm sure something will be put out eventually. The nostalgia is too strong to truly let this game go ;)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2020, 10:18:03 PM »
Arklon and BlackBox can answer this more definitively but from the bits of conversation I've seen there has been some trouble getting our community patches to play nice with the CD version and the GOG version. I know they've overcome a number of hurdles so far and have managed to get around a number of road blocks. So there's definitely progress.