Author Topic: Events with Player-Choice  (Read 1004 times)

Offline VileTerror

Events with Player-Choice
« on: August 07, 2023, 07:05:40 AM »
Hey leeor_net (and everyone else who's a part of working on OutpostHD)!

So, an aspect of Outpost which showed up very rarely (probably one of the incomplete game features) are the Events that pop up from time to time.  One of the early-game Events is the Newspaper interview, where you can choose to decline the interview, interview immediately, or schedule a meeting with the interviewer.  Depending on which choice you make, the Newspaper gives a different article in the following Turn, and it can affect Morale.

After checking out Ixion, which seems obviously inspired by Outpost based on the gameplay, I think OutpostHD should include a whole plethora of events as well.

And I'm willing to put my figurative money where my mouth is and help with that part of the game.
So, if you want a write for the various Events that could transpire, let me know.  I'll periodically pop my head in to this forum to see if you've replied, but you can also reach me through either hotmail or gmail at my name.

Keep up the good work in reviving this classic!  Ixion was neat, but without an endless mode it failed to really scratch the itch that is my desire to play Outpost.
Thanks!

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Re: Events with Player-Choice
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 12:36:55 PM »
Definitely intended to have something like that at some point in the game. Figured I'd leave it for one of the later feature updates after more of the core gameplay elements are in place.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 02:02:33 PM »
Hooman pointed out that I failed to respond to the offer of help with writing -- he's right. My apologies, I'm working on 2 hours of sleep atm.

I'm game for any assistance you'd be able to offer. Can post directly here or on Discord. Would be very happy to get some human written copy :D

Offline VileTerror

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2023, 05:07:31 PM »
Glad to hear it, but there's one big question we need to address first:
What expectations do you have for the themes and subject matter?

That question follows in to more detail:
Do you feel that we want to have Events that relate to social or political decision-making?
Such as Events that tackle subjects of the nuance between crime, policing, and social liberty.  Or between propaganda and censorship.  Or setting policies on things like number of work hours for colonists, or the age that born-colonists are forced in to the workforce.
There is a lot of fertile ground for interesting decision-making, but not all players will agree on what is and isn't appropriate content to have in the game. 

Since some people want games to be devoid of politics, would you rather that we try to keep the Events "agnostic" and make an effort to avoid any real-world ideologies from influencing this writing?
Which, honestly, would be incredibly challenging for me, and very much limit the scope of the work I could do.  I'm a little too aware of my own beliefs and how they affect my writing, even while writing fiction.  There are people who may take offence to any game content which doesn't conform to their own personal beliefs.

Heh . . . honestly, with a little tweaking, this entire question could be one such Event for the game:

"Administrator.  Your colonists are debating whether we have the luxury of political dissidence now that we are fighting for our basic survival.  Some colonists feel strongly that everyone must conform to a single ideology that exists to support the collective well-being.  Others state that without the power to act divisively, we lose what it means to be human.  There are also some scientists who recommend a time-limited suppression of divergent beliefs, suggesting that we only need to quell the extremists, and attempt to maintain marginal differences of opinion to avoid falling in to a stagnant mono-culture.
"Do you wish to make an official proclamation related to this debate?"

Let me know if you want me to flesh that out further, leeor_net!

Thanks again for all that you do, and thank you for this opportunity to be a part of it.