Author Topic: Outpost 2 Post-Release Demo 1.0 no music included  (Read 12500 times)

Offline Ecke100

Outpost 2 Post-Release Demo 1.0 no music included
« on: July 05, 2019, 02:49:01 PM »
Outpost 2 Demo version installer i have, does not include music and the movie. I have try to copy music from pre demo to the Post-Release Demo, but it will not work.
Does someone have the missing files, so i can get music to work or someone have another solution to get it work? Post-Release Demo scenario in the fullversion has wrong music added.
I have already test copy fullversion music1.wav to the demo folder does not work either.

Offline Sirbomber

Re: Outpost 2 Post-Release Demo 1.0 no music included
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 09:39:16 AM »
The demo didn't include the AVIs or the in-game music, and I'm guessing the developers removed the code from the demo EXE to play those.  Remember that most people were using dial-up modems back then, and the AVIs and in-game music represent 90% of the data on the OP2 CD.  As I recall, they also cut out the ambient animation graphics, as well as the graphics and sounds for every unit/structure that wasn't intended to be available through the extremely limited demo missions.

I think the better question is, why are you trying to play the post-release demo?  The pre-demo is interesting because there are quite a few differences between it and the final game, but the post-demo is really not worth anyone's time.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Yeates

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 03:01:33 PM »
Was the music added to the demo that's available now?

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 04:09:23 PM »
As I recall, the pre-release demo came with a single music track that played on the main menu but was silent in-game; the post-release demo had no music included at all.  To the best of my knowledge, the demos hosted here have not been edited and are only available for historical curiosity.  If you want to play the game, download the full version, which has been patched to run on modern systems.  The in-game music and movies are available for download at the bottom of that page.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 09:20:16 PM »
To piggyback on sirbombers comments, both the pre and post release demos are available as colony games in the current Outpost Universe release of Outpost 2. If you are looking to play either, I would recommend just using the current copy of Outpost 2. The music pack underneath the game download should allow music during the different demos.

Hope that helps,
Brett

Offline Ecke100

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 02:42:34 AM »
As I recall, the pre-release demo came with a single music track that played on the main menu but was silent in-game; the post-release demo had no music included at all.  To the best of my knowledge, the demos hosted here have not been edited and are only available for historical curiosity.  If you want to play the game, download the full version, which has been patched to run on modern systems.  The in-game music and movies are available for download at the bottom of that page.
I had a pc game magazine in the 90's with a cd that came with Outpost 2 Demo, included a music track when you play colony/tutorial maps with this song