Author Topic: "On the Run" - vehicle refitting difficulties  (Read 5041 times)

Offline pente

"On the Run" - vehicle refitting difficulties
« on: April 04, 2019, 10:44:44 PM »
I was replaying the second mission in the "Evacuation Under Fire" series to see if I could beat it on hard without using any decoy units to confuse the big attack. However, I couldn't complete the "refit all starting vehicles" objective. After repeated tries, I eventually resorted to blowing up all of my vehicles and even still the objective wouldn't complete. This doesn't seem to be the desired behavior.

At the very beginning of the mission, before any buildings were placed, I had lost an evacuation transport to an earthquake.

Attached is a save file from which I believe it is impossible to satisfy the refit all vehicles condition. (All starting vehicles have already been to the garage, and blowing up all vehicles on the map does not help.)

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
Re: "On the Run" - vehicle refitting difficulties
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 06:53:20 PM »
pente,

Sorry for the bug. I cleaned up the code that checks for when vehicles are destroyed but not yet refitted at the garage. Unfortunately, the fix will not be compatible with your current save. See the https://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,5818.msg88216 to download the newest version. You can just paste the dll in your Outpost 2 copy's root directory. The tech tree and map are unchanged and do not have to be updated.

If you like, I can private message you a specially patched DLL that bypasses the victory condition. Although it might be easier to just restart.

Thanks for playing it and sorry for ruining your playthrough,
-Brett

Offline pente

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 09:28:01 PM »
Thanks for looking into it and fixing it. I enjoyed the mission so playing it again is not a problem for me!

Also, responding to a comment you left me on another thread, I appreciate the heads up about the garage issue in mission 1, but I was the one who first reported it :) I still suspect there was something about the setup on my computer that was contributing somehow (as it only happened if I had just launched Outpost 2 after not having played it recently). I seem to be a bit of a magnet for bugs :O

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 01:36:54 PM »
That makes you extremely useful then. :D

As a developer myself, I love getting bug reports. Helps me root out defective behavior and lets me learn from my mistakes so I can avoid them in the future. Sneaking suspicion many developers feel the same way.

Offline pente

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 09:36:10 PM »
I tried the new version and if I'm not mistaken it is no longer possible to refit the starting vehicles at all. Destroying them works, however, which suggests the extra-hard challenge of requiring you to destroy all starting vehicles to win. For that to be feasible on hard I think you'd need to start with around 2 to 3 more workers but making construction of a garage optional would help a bit too.

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 04:39:54 PM »
pente,

Can you send me SGAME10.OP2 and the file for the saved game giving you trouble?

I'll try to attach the debugger and see if I can figure out what is going wrong. I'm glad you can resolve the issue by blowing up the starting units.

-Brett

Offline pente

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 07:05:38 PM »
I think I've attached the correct file....

Looking in the log you see the garage was built at mark 311 and there have been no "vehicle refitted" messages since then. Nothing happens when vehicles are put on/in the garage.

I mentioned in another thread that I tried again (on Normal difficulty instead of Hard) and vehicle refitting seemed to work fine that time (although I chose to blow them all up anyhow so I didn't test it thoroughly).

Let me know if you need any other info.

Can I ask what information you are looking for in SGAME10? It just seems to have the names of the save files.

Thanks!

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 09:21:34 PM »
pente,

Thanks for the detailed report. I was calling HFLInit in the InitProc function. This function is only called on mission start. So if you load a saved game, HFLInit is not called. Without initializing HFL, garage docks are reported as position -999,-999, which effectively prevents you from curing. So you would have to cure all vehicles before saving/loading the first time.

Since checking if the started units have blown up or not does not require HFL, you were still able to use that feature to get rid of all your compromised vehicles.

See attached zip. It should be compatible with your current save. Let me know if it fixes your issue.

I don't know that sending the sgame10.op2 matters, just figured I would ask for it in case. Sorry that isn't a good answer.

Thanks,
-Brett

Offline pente

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 02:47:28 AM »
Thanks!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 12:09:21 PM »
I was calling HFLInit in the InitProc function. This function is only called on mission start. So if you load a saved game, HFLInit is not called.

That is a fascinating bug. Did you switch to calling it from DllMain?

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 07:10:32 PM »
Actually no, I just started calling it in AIProc as well as InitProc.

However, I just tested and it works fine to call it in DllMain. This makes a lot more sense. I'll update the LevelTemplate to do this as well so it will hopefully help others avoid the same mistake.

-Brett