Author Topic: Residential  (Read 19824 times)

Offline White Claw

Residential
« on: February 26, 2019, 10:52:37 PM »
Here's the first attempt at the tier 1 residence.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 11:02:15 PM by White Claw »

Offline White Claw

Re: Residential
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 11:03:11 PM »
And uploading several color variants.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 11:07:11 PM »
I liked A, but there's a lot of that color already. So I included several other color variants for Leeor to chose from. Maybe D or E would be better. Some color variation but still more subtle than C. And maybe it'll all look different to me in the morning. :P

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 02:06:31 PM »
Splitting this off to make it easier to track classes of structures.

So, for the most part I like it. It feels really fat and unrefined -- and perhaps that's excactly what it should be like as a first generation residential structure. I think the only change I would make to this is the top module... I'm assuming it's either some form of support area (e.g., administration and machine room) or a lobby of sorts for communal gathering. In either case that makes sense but given the scale of the other structures that module seems HUGE, like maybe two to three times times larger than it really should be.

Other than that, I generally like the look, in particular I like variant G. I have to see what it looks like in-game to make a final determination on color scheme so I'll let you know that tonight when I get home. :D

Offline White Claw

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 07:26:49 PM »
Shrank the size of the common area.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 07:49:30 PM »
More samples for feedback.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 09:59:16 PM »
More options for our overlord.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 10:11:20 PM by White Claw »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 01:56:01 AM »
I like the shrunken look. Well, actually, I like all of them, but I like the shrunken look the most.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 07:59:19 AM »
Thanks, Hooman. I think I'm a fan of the elevated ones (#4). Makes sense to not have the living area on the tube level, where there's potential to be lots of traffic and logistics moving about. Living quarters in that area would mean much narrower hallways compared to tubes everywhere else.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 08:20:32 AM »
I think you're right. I was thinking about space and noise when I was looking at the first set. The later set is more like what you'd find with high rise buildings, where ground floor level only really contains shops, with all the housing on higher levels.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 09:03:14 AM »
Agreed about the raised units -- makes sense to me. I still wonder if it would look better rotated 45 degrees.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 12:30:55 PM »
Ehh, not really  :D :P

Offline JetMech1999

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 05:16:53 PM »
Really liking G for color, and I for one like the larger common area.  When I think of an underground residential building, I imagine cramped, tight rooms.  Kind of like the kitchen/dining area in Owen and Beru's home on Tatooine, from the original Star Wars.  The larger common area would allow for larger groups to get together and not feel so claustrophobic. Really liking the lighting and windows.  I agree about the raised residential levels.  Sets them apart from the travelways.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 05:23:42 PM by JetMech1999 »

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 05:40:04 PM »
Ehh, not really  :D :P

DAMNIT HOOMAN! -smh- lol

I would think a larger common area would be part of the 'upgrades' to the building. This is sort of a thrown together kind of deal and in the beginning should be pretty cramped. Means you need more residential units at first but research allows for structures that make better use of space allowing for additional people (me thinks upgrade one allows for 30 residents and upgrade 2 allows for 35 with possible edicts forcing more people to live together which increases how many people are housed but with the downside that it has an effect on morale... or something like that).

So here's the updated structure in-game. Definitely looks great but I still think having the structure rotated 45 degrees will help it feel less grid-aligned. Mostly it's just to kind of break the visuals up a little bit.

Here they are again this time using the green variant:

Is the UG Factory brown or green? They look the same to me...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 05:48:52 PM by leeor_net »

Offline White Claw

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 07:57:16 PM »
I had done a 45 angled one earlier (version 2 I think), but it looks like I never bothered to upload it. In any case, here it is.

Personally I'm less of a fan because, as I learned from other buildings, the ones oriented perpendicular to the camera end up looking a bit flat to me. But it's worth putting in-game to see how it comes out.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 08:07:30 PM »
where ground floor level only really contains shops, with all the housing on higher levels.

Yeah, I think once I thought about how the living quarters might actually be, it dawned on me to simply lift the building up. It makes sense from a space stand point, and I think that makes it fit in a lot better too.

Also, nice job on the rotation. :D

Really liking G for color, and I for one like the larger common area.

I agree. That's why I originally had the space a lot bigger. Though, with Leeor's feedback, I realized that he was right about it being on the large side for a starting tier. I think I also agree with Leeor's statement about it being a good upgrade for the higher tier buildings. That will give it a good thematic element to carry forward but still provide distinction as the common area becomes larger and more elaborate.

Is the UG Factory brown or green? They look the same to me...

The main "arms" are a greenish looking color. In actuality, they're a blue-gray. However, I believe this particular graphic had some fiddling with the saturation back when I was trying to make the colors pop more, which has given the arms the greenish look. The base and top button on the tower are orange (which might look a little brown).

I believe the nursery underwent similar fiddling, so the colors are off from the rest of the theme.

After seeing these recent version in-game, I think I'm a fan of the blue one. It looks like it fits better with the hospital, nursery, and park. More people-friendly, unlike the more greenish industries.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 08:27:51 PM »
Sooo.... yeah, that rotated version just doesn't look right at all. I'll stick with the aligned version, the details are easier to see.

Offline JetMech1999

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 08:33:23 PM »
Having the residential units rotated 45 from the tubes doesn't look quite right.  You lose something, whether it's depth or mass or whatever.  I agree that it looks kind of flat.  I wondered for just a few seconds what a 30 degree rotation would look like, then realized it would make the balance all wrong.

After your explanation of the common area, I get it.  Tier 1 structures are meant to be something put together in a hurry for survival's sake.  Tier 2 and above allow for convenience to move in.

As for the colors, yeah.  The green seems to go well with industrial uses, while the blue has a nicer look for areas more related to the "human factor".

Offline White Claw

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 09:58:26 PM »
After looking at the in-game, I see it would be nice to improve contrast vs. the tubes. So here are a few more color variations.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2019, 01:01:51 PM »
Also, nice job on the rotation. :D

From each according to his abilities, right comrade? ;)

I like the idea of different sized common area domes for the different tiers.

I think I agree about the blue being good for buildings with the human factor. I like the J variant. It's got some nice blue, and nice bright cheery well lit white as well. Not the depressing black of the others.

Offline JetMech1999

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2019, 02:55:49 PM »
I agree with Hooman about J.  Maybe someone else, or myself, have brought this up before and I just can't seem to find it, but riddle me this.  What is the purpose of windows and glass domes in an underground structure?  I know for the gaming purposes, it's to give the game some punch or identity, but unless you're going to generate an artificial look to the area, the windows are just looking out into blackness or, at the minimum, rock.  Just a thought that came crashing into my math-fried brain and found a neuron to spark.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2019, 07:28:06 PM »
In the same vein, these structures are underground, what is the light source that's illuminating all of them?

We talked about this in an earlier thread that if we wanted to get very technical about it, if humanity was really doing this on another planet, all the structures would likely look all the same but only with their internal arrangement and furnishings being different... but that would lead to a really boring looking game. So windows and lighting it is. :D

Offline White Claw

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2019, 07:47:53 PM »
Would likely be boring indeed. I think we also discussed before that it would be a bad idea to put Agridomes on the surface (where they are subject to radiation), and that housing the entire thing in glass would be somewhat reckless and fragile.

Offline JetMech1999

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 08:14:34 PM »
My apologies.  I was just being a wiseass trying to relax a bit from school overload.  I knew it was for game aesthetics, but you make a good point.  In real life, we wouldn't care what the exterior looked like, we'd concentrate indoors, unless the planet was environmentally friendly to the human lifeform.  Then we wouldn't be doing much underground work anyway.  Just tried to lighten the mood a little.  Put that one down into the "fail" bin.  Moving on.  In general, I'm really liking the graphics.  Glad you found some talented guys to help out with those.  Oh, and White Claw, I happen to like my apples with a little green glow to them. ;D

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2019, 08:24:49 PM »
Radioactive apples... me thinks there's an easter egg opportunity here...