Author Topic: Shadows misbehaving on Windows 10  (Read 3479 times)

Offline steev

• Norm!
Shadows misbehaving on Windows 10
« on: November 06, 2018, 11:24:29 PM »
Been so long since i was last here, i had to remake my account!

Anyways, I'm playing Outpost 2 on Win 10. The shadows have always acted a bit funny. Did a forum search but nothing came up related to it. I have compatiblity mode set to XP SP2 which solves every other issue but this one. 

Any ideas? Here's a video showing it off.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Re: Shadows misbehaving on Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 11:22:35 AM »
Ahh, the building placement highlight is a bit messed up. It looks like it's leaving a temporary trail.

That may be worth looking into.

Looks to be temporary, though probably more than simple lag. Maybe there is some caching structure which isn't being properly cleared or reset in certain conditions.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 02:00:17 PM »
It's not lag, it's dirty rectangles not being refreshed properly and being cleared because of the motion of the dailight (as the daylight moves across tiles they get redrawn). Not sure why this happens on modern flavors of windows but if I had to guess I'd say it's due to 'clever' programming on the part of the devs and taking advantage of undocumented features in DirectX or features that it relied on not working in modern versions of DirectX (changes that break existing behavior that weren't an issue before).

It's an issue that's been around for awhile though not one that I think we actually have a real solution for yet (or possibly ever).

As a side note, I don't have this issue on my machine but I haven't tested it since I upgradged to a 1080 monitor.

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 09:27:02 PM »
I'd like to add this to the changelog/buglist included with the Outpost 2 download.

I set Outpost 2 to compatibility mode, XP SP2 and ran on a WIN 10 machine. I was unable to reproduce the bug.

steev, I'm able to run Outpost 2 on Windows 10 without using compatibility mode at all. What other features give you trouble if you are not setting compatibility mode?

Thanks,
Brett

EDIT:

Just realized you were playing Colony Game Rising from the Ashes. Glad to see the new content is getting used!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 09:28:49 PM by Vagabond »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 01:41:49 AM »
Leeor, I suspect you may be right. That's a very plausible explanation. It seems to match up with what I see in the video after rewatching it.