Author Topic: Reviews/Talk of Outpost Elsewhere Online  (Read 5181 times)

Offline RobbixTheBobbix

Reviews/Talk of Outpost Elsewhere Online
« on: June 04, 2018, 07:37:52 PM »
I found a video of a reviewer talking about Outpost 1 and 2, referring to them as two of the few examples of the niche genre of "Survival Strategy". He goes on to talk about two new, similar games called Surviving Mars and Frostpunk that sound interesting. If people are looking for ideas for a new Outpost-based game, you might find some here.

Also found a video of two guys talking about how they used to work at Sierra, they talk briefly about Outpost 1 about halfway through the video.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Re: Reviews/Talk of Outpost Elsewhere Online
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 09:21:28 PM »
Thanks for the videos!

I've seen the second one, the first one is new.

I've also seen the game Frostpunk and I'm DYING to get my hands on it. It looks like a lot of fun and a preview review showing gameplay really made it look like something I want to spend many hours in!

EDIT:

I got to the end of the first video you linked -- we get a shout out from the creator about putting together the packages for OP1 and OP2 that run on modern hardware. I didn't realize how good it would feel to get acknowledgement especially on a video that's received over 20,000 views.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 10:13:24 PM by leeor_net »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 01:16:45 PM »
Heh, yeah, I was just going to say he gives a shout out to Outpost Universe at the end of the video. That's kind of cool.

Nice find  :)

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 01:15:07 AM »
The first video was great. Nice shout out at the end about this site that really goes to the founders that maintained the games Outpost and Outpost 2. The comparison of Outpost to business software was interesting.

A shorter game in this survival strategy genre that happens to also follow hard science is Sol 0 Surviving Mars. I enjoyed playing through it a while back.

-Brett

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 06:49:05 PM »
You realize of course the latest release of Outpost 2 is basically the Brett release  ;)

Meanwhile Leeor has become Mr. OP1.  :P

I also enjoyed the comparison of Outpost to business software.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 08:43:52 PM »
Sol 0 is a great game. Got it for a few bucks about a year ago. I still pick it up now and then but it feels unsophisticated in a lot of ways. Perhaps because it's the developers first major project?

Still though, it's a lot of fun to play.

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 01:16:16 AM »
I'd like to try Surviving Mars sometime in the near future. It sounds right up Outpost's ally, the progenitor of the Survival Strategy genre. 8)

Yeah, Sol 0 could be a bit more robust. Pathfinding the little survey robot works on par with sending an Outpost 2 unit through a canyon. But if treated as a smaller, more casual game than Outpost 1 and 2, Sol 0 is great for what it is.

Thanks Hooman.