Author Topic: OutpostHD v0.7.5 Released!  (Read 3665 times)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
OutpostHD v0.7.5 Released!
« on: May 11, 2018, 08:13:49 PM »
OutpostHD v0.7.5 is now officially ready for release!

MASSIVE changes in this update. White Claw has produced a lot of great visual replacements for OutpostHD including terrain and structures. Not everything has been changed but much of it has.

Additionally, there are a lot of bug fixes and new features and usability. This release focused mostly on factory production and product storage and consumption. Basically, the UG Factory's now produce stuff that's semi-useful and the Commercial facilities operate as expected (they consume one unit of 'luxury product' per turn to increase morale).

What's New
  • Robot Command Center is now fully functional.
  • Added a Nursery structure. Required to keep infant mortality rate at a reasonable level.
  • Added the Cargo Lander.
  • New visuals for some of the surface structures.
  • F11 keybinding to switch between fullscreen and windowed mode.
  • Game window is resizable (minimum size 800x600).
  • New higher resolution tile sets.
  • Added a drop shadow to mine beacons on the minimap to help them stand out better.
  • Added a new method to IconGrid to set the current selection using an IconGridItem's 'meta' value.
  • Added Loading/Saving plaque's during file operations for save games.
  • Added 'processing turn' plaque whenever a turn is processed.
  • Factory production now stores products in Warehouses.
  • Commercial structures now draw luxury products from warehouses each turn. +1 morale for each commercial structure that has access to luxury products.
  • Added Warehouse Inspector window. Primitive but does the job.

What's Changed
  • Robots can now only be placed within the area of influence of the Command Center and Comm. Towers.
  • FileIO window includes a new ListBox that shows a scroll bar when the list of files is too long to display.
  • FileIO window now responds to double clicks.
  • Structures can now only be placed within 15 tiles of the command center.
  • Robots can now only be placed within 15 tiles of the command center.
  • The population model has been completely rewritten. It now accounts for morale, residences, universities and hospitals.
  • Factory Production window now allows the user to set a factory to Idle. This is not undone until the user explicitely states it.
  • Factory Production window now has a "Clear Selection" button. This provides a much more obvious way to clear the selection vs. clicking outside a product icon in the product grid.
  • Factory Production window now has an "Apply" button which works the same as the "Okay" button but doesn't hide the window after clicked.
  • Updated keybindings -- see README.md for details.
  • Population panel now shows residential capacity.
  • Morale is now affected by overcrowding in residences.
  • Internal modifications to ProductType valuation -- this is a breaking change for older save games.
  • Updated resource icons.
  • MiniMap internal drawing code has been simplified using NAS2D's new clip rectangle functions. This should improve performance for games with a lot of things going on in the minimap.
  • FileIO window now responds to Enter/Escape keys.
  • Factories will go idle if there is insufficient storage for products they are producing.

Bugs Fixed
  • FileOP button (Save/Load) in FileIO window will now start off disabled when first displayed.
  • Fixed a mistake in UndergroundFactory that would cause it to be saved as a SurfaceFactory.
  • Fixed an issue with tile picking that caused inaccuracies when map edge lengths were even.
  • Fixed an issue which left unavailable robot selections available when loading a saved game from a game that had said robots available.
  • Fixed a mistake that would fail to bring the Structure Inspector window to the front of the window stack.
  • Fixed an issue in the population food consumption/starvation code that could result in an infinite loop causing the game to hang.

Gimme Gimme! Where do I get it?

Head over to the main thread and look for the 'Current Build' section.

Many thanks and much appreciate to those who have helped by posting suggestions and assisting with code development! Couldn't have done this without your efforts!

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
Re: OutpostHD v0.7.5 Released!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 01:17:09 AM »
Congratulations on the milestone Leeor! Excited about all the new artwork making its way into the game.

-Brett

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 07:15:37 AM »
Indeed. I'm very pleased with the continued progress on this, and also excited about the new art work.

Offline JetMech1999

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 05:28:59 PM »
Just tried to run 0.7.5 but it wouldn't extract the files.  Suggestions?

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 09:22:53 PM »
Are you using the built-in windows ZIP utilities or something like 7z/WinRAR?

EDIT:

I used LZMA compression when I compressed OutpostHD -- I've uploaded a new version that uses Deflate instead and should work properly. Try downloading it again and let me know what happens.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 09:26:42 PM by leeor_net »

Offline JetMech1999

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 11:35:10 AM »
I was using the Windows ZIP utility.  The new load is working great.  Thanks.

Offline JetMech1999

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 01:07:20 PM »
Had a little hiccup during my first run.  The SEED facilities wouldn't build and the colony died.  The second run worked better but I think I got behind the power curve on power and food production and, once again, dead colony.  Feels like the difficulty level has been increased some.  Seems more lifelike.  Run out of food, power, air, etc. and everything goes to crap.  In the original, didn't the starship de-orbit and crash at turn 200?  Or am I thinking of something else?  This one went down at around turn 45 or so.  Didn't pay attention to the exact turn, but it seemed to happen much sooner.  I like the news graphics.  The scene of the spacecraft crash site and the colony being taken over by sand dunes is pretty cool.  Morale was low, but rising when things when kaput.  Running around 480-485.  Since it was rising when they all died, I have to presume that it was because of starvation.  Got some other questions, but I think they will be better suited for another thread.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 06:52:23 PM »
Had a little hiccup during my first run.  The SEED facilities wouldn't build and the colony died.

If you can reproduce that problem of your SEED facilities not building please let me know how to do so. They should never not build so I'd like to figure out why that happened and squash that potential bug.

The second run worked better but I think I got behind the power curve on power and food production and, once again, dead colony.  Feels like the difficulty level has been increased some.  Seems more lifelike.  Run out of food, power, air, etc. and everything goes to crap.

Yes, it's very much intended to be much more challenging. The gameplay at the moment can be considered the 'medium' or 'intermediate' difficulty level. Easy difficulty will make this more forgiving and 'hard' mode will be extremely challenging with population mortality much higher and resource production much lower. This is all subject to tweaking as the game progresses further.

In the original, didn't the starship de-orbit and crash at turn 200?  Or am I thinking of something else?  This one went down at around turn 45 or so.  Didn't pay attention to the exact turn, but it seemed to happen much sooner.

I explained this a bit more thoroughly in your other post but basically, it's currently set to 24 turns from touch down (so turn 25). This is quick, I know. It's representative of the most difficult mode which gives you very little time to land your colonists and cargo and get a rudimentary colony set up before you lose your last ties to Earth.

I like the news graphics.  The scene of the spacecraft crash site and the colony being taken over by sand dunes is pretty cool.

Thanks! WhiteClaw put a lot of effort into the new structure graphics. Still a WIP but we're working on it!

The announcement window visuals are temporary -- I found them on Deviant Art and used them with the PLACEHOLDER text over them until we can get originals (or permission to use these). They fit the general vibe I was going for.

Morale was low, but rising when things when kaput.  Running around 480-485.  Since it was rising when they all died, I have to presume that it was because of starvation.  Got some other questions, but I think they will be better suited for another thread.

This almost always happens because you ran out of Rare Minerals, a critical resource for keeping Power Facilities (specifically fusion) running. This has caught me off guard several times during testing. Keep a very close eye on your Rare Minerals and don't expand too fast. The SEED Smelter is extremely inefficient so you'll need to replace that as soon as possible with a regular Smelter. In fact, build two before you build a Fusion Reactor (the reactor uses up a lot of rare minerals). You should also have at least two mines running and make sure you have PLENTY of Storage Tanks -- if you run out of room in your Storage Tanks you'll find yourself in a colony collapse very quickly.

Later versions will allow you to tweak what your smelters are focused on, what your mines are focused on and will allow you to dump some resources to make space if needed (e.g., if you have an overabundance of Common Metals, you can dump some of it to make room for other materials). That's more of an emergency procedure if you're not paying attention to your storage and run out of room. Storage Tanks are cheap so make sure you're always ahead of the game with those.

Future versions will provide alerts for when you're running critically low on resources, running out of storage, food is diminishing, you're reaching the limits of your power generation, etc.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 06:58:31 PM by leeor_net »

Offline Goof

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 07:15:12 PM »
Hi.

In fact, the problem with the population is that at a certain point the workers start aging/dying and the kids are not ready to take their places.
In fact for many turns you only have the starting workforce in the colony. it will start to give new workers only after a bunch of turns.
If your colony expand too quickly, there will not be enough workers for all structures.
If then, it start to shutdown AgriDomes, then you are more likely to get the colony to decrease quickly and fail.
It's mainly because when an AgriDome fails, the food stored in this AgriDome 'vanish'.
So you start to have starvation within the population and more dead in the workforce, so more structures failing. and so on and on and on and on.
I figured out that it was more easy to loose workers than elders or kids.