Author Topic: Is GitHub a good fit for the SVN repository?  (Read 7029 times)

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
Is GitHub a good fit for the SVN repository?
« on: August 31, 2017, 02:01:47 AM »
I know we have been mulling around moving code to GitHub over using the Outpost 2 SVN.

Assuming everything gets moved over, how do we plan to handle the fact that each scenario happens to be a separate Visual Studio project? I think there is currently about 20 standalone scenarios plus the templates. I don't know that we want 20 separate projects on GitHub to handle them?

It could be possible to merge them all into one solution. This would actually simplify setting up references to the OP2Helper, HFL, and IUnit libraries. It would take some time to get everything rounded up together though.

We also have about a dozen fixes, mods, or addons in the repository. Will each of these get their own GitHub project?

Anyways, I'm not opposed to GitHub (besides having to actually learn how to use Git).

-Brett

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Re: Is GitHub a good fit for the SVN repository?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 08:05:13 AM »
I've thought about that in the past too. It seems convenient to have everything in one place, like in the SVN, with set relative references to dependent APIs. It also seems like a lot of separate repos to host, and I'm not aware of any repo organization options on GitHub.

With that said though, the more I use Git, the more I think things should be split into separate repos. It's just a mindset that comes from using Git. As for keeping things in one place, it's entirely possible to create a master Git repo, which includes all the other repos as sub-modules. That could allow for one solution which contains all the various level projects, while still allowing them to be their own projects in their own right.

At any rate, I don't currently want to move existing projects, so much as start new projects using GitHub. One of the reasons is simply momentum. Trying to sort out the differences, and move things over, before we are familiar with the new system seems like a lot of work. Work I don't feel particularly inclined to do. I figure try out the new system on a few new projects, see if you like it (I've been liking it), and as it gains momentum, there will be a natural push to bring the other stuff along as it's needed.

As for learning Git, I was thinking a pair programming session could go a long way towards building that familiarity.

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 03:47:38 AM »
Well I have downloaded and installed TortoiseGit for whenever we want to try it out.

-Brett

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 04:47:31 PM »
I've taken a few steps toward moving the repository over. I didn't want to move anything that you were actively working on.

I've been putzing about in the SVN repository and it's... not very clean. I'm in favor of everything having its own separate project including each individual mission. As annoying as that will be to eventually move over, it will make it a lot easier and cleaner to track changes.

I agree with Hooman on the point of any and all new projects should be put on Git instead. If you're done with the projects you've worked on (or at least are at a decent stopping point), let me know which ones they are and I'll get them ported over so you can immediately move over to Git.

As stated in a previous post, since we're not a team of dozens of developers, for the most part the only real change we're going to see is that we commit changes to the local repository and then push them to the remote repository. Basically it's just an extra step.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 11:55:12 PM »
Might want to avoid pushing developers over to Git before they've had a chance to learn Git though.

Also, I'd love to see an article/post about migrating projects to Git which includes filtering history. As we've found, it's convenient to have proprietary data in a repo for testing purposes, but not so appropriate if the project gets hosted on GitHub.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 02:23:28 PM »
True facts.

I think I've got the filtering thing down. It's a fairly simple set of commands. Not sure where exactly to post it but I've got all the commands (including pushing up to the GitHub repository) saved.

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 03:37:47 AM »
Not sure where exactly to post it but I've got all the commands (including pushing up to the GitHub repository) saved.

If it were me, I would consider posting it somewhere around the repository section of the Outpost Universe Wiki. https://wiki.outpost2.net/doku.php?id=opu:repository.

Leeor, when you have some time, it would be helpful to me if you moved OP2MapImager over to GitHub so I can keep it in sync with changes to OP2Utility as needed. Thanks.

I have noticed all my commits and pushes to the Outpost Universe Repository via TortoiseGit are not showing up on my personal timecard. Only if I directly edit one of the repos through the GitHub website does the commit seem to count. Not a big deal I suppose. https://github.com/Brett208

-Brett

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 11:04:50 PM »
Will do after I apply some security patches to the wiki (just dropped).

As for credit, I had this problem before -- you need to add the commit username to your profile... somehow. Or e-mail. I don't really remember exactly but I had that problem when working on several different computers and two of them were configured with different e-mail addresses.

Check out this article from GitHub -- explains what I mean (not clear headed atm).

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 12:46:37 AM »
Thanks Leeor,

I scanned the link you posted. Currently I don't display my actual email account on my GIT commits, which the article confirms will keep it from showing up on my profile feed. This seems strange to me because I have to use my GitHub username and password to allow my computer to post the commits and pushes to GitHub, so I wonder why they decided they need my explicit email as well...

I figured having my email address available publically on all the commits would be a recipe for getting spammed. Do you use your account email on commits and if so, do you think people are abusing it being available?

If GitHub continues to take off we will probably want to look at moving all the SVN info in the wiki to some sort of legacy page and replacing it with some info on GitHub/Git. I'm not sure anyone besides me ever references the SVN info in the wiki though, so maybe it is a waste of time to upkeep?

-Brett

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 09:32:49 PM »
I spent some more time in the GitHub documentation. They provide a private email that links to you through your GitHub account. Setting this as the email account in your commit allows it to show up in your GitHub feed without exposing you actual personal email account associated with the account.

If anyone is interested, check out https://github.com/blog/2346-private-emails-now-more-private.

-Brett

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 07:40:48 AM »
This is very good info to have. I know some people may want to use Git, but don't want to publish their real email address.

As for spam, I've read that it's really not a problem. Having an email on GitHub doesn't seem to lead to problems with spam.

I suppose it kind of makes sense, since the computer literate folks using GitHub are likely not a very fertile ground as the targets of spam.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 02:59:22 PM »
Not just that but as I understand they obfuscate the e-mail addresses in the output code anyway so it's human readable but bots searching for e-mail addresses generally won't see these. I use my spam account leeor_net @ yahoo.com and I haven't seen any increase in spam. Then again, it's my public facing e-mail address and it already receives a huge amount of spam as it is (most of it trapped by the spam filters on yahoo, surprisingly enough).

BUT, I would definitely appreciate a further obfuscation of the e-mail address as provided by GitHub. Definite boost.

As for the Wiki documentation, I doubt you're the only one who uses it and it would be extremely useful for new comers to learn how to use and interface with our public repositories. I would move the SVN content to a Legacy section, as you mentioned, and provide information on how to use Git with the OPU GitHub repositories.