Author Topic: The Journey : Part Alpha  (Read 6726 times)

Offline PatchouliConfort

The Journey : Part Alpha
« on: January 04, 2016, 03:06:01 PM »
Introduction :
Introduction :

New Terra, one year after landing. A big fight was heard. While a big part of the council has wanted to terraform New Terra, few members said that isn't a good idea, and have thought about living harmoniously with the planet, without modifying it. This day, the council has been divided. The main colony has been called "Eden", and the renegades have been "Plymouth". They have left the main colony, and have built their one. One day, when one councillor of Eden tried to negotiate, another of Plymouth, to protest, have shut down the only communication satellite. He had known that Eden started their deadly research.
NeoTerra, un an après l'atterrissage. Une grosse dispute se fit entendre. Pendant qu'une grande partie du conseil voulait terraformer NeoTerra, quelques membres dirent que ce n'est pas une bonne idée, et pensèrent vivre harmonieusement avec la planète, sans la modifier. Ce jour, le conseil fut divisé. La première colonie fut appelée "Eden", et les renégats furent "Plymouth". Ils quittèrent la colonie principale, et construisirent la leur. Un jour, pendant que l'un des membres du conseil d'Eden tenta de négocier, un autre de Plymouth, pour protester, désactiva l'unique satellite de communication. Il savait qu'Eden avait commencé ses recherches mortelles.

It is in a little Plymouth colony that our story begins...
C'est dans une petite colonie de Plymouth que notre histoire commence...

Day one : First builds
Jour un : Premières installations

"Here, it is a good place", says George Peterson. He is the mayor of this colony, sent by Plymouth to make a second colony, Just in case... We don't know that Eden can do.
"Ici, c'est un bon endroit", dit George Peterson. C'est le maire de notre colonie, envoyé par Plymouth pour créer une seconde colonie, au cas où... On ne sait pas ce qu'Eden peut faire.
Anyway, he's right. The soil is tough, it is in some kind of Granite. We have a beautiful view of the mountains, here. Dark mountains, cold mountains. In Southeast of our settlement, we have many minerals with Iron-like soil, and in Northwest we have a light-stoned place. We don't know if there's any resources in the top of this mountain.
Peu importe, il a raison. Le sol est dur, il est en une sorte de Granite. Nous avons une belle vue sur les montagnes, ici. De sombres montagnes, de froides montagnes. Au sud-est de notre colonie, nous avons beaucoup de minéraux avec un sol de type ferreux, et au nord-est, nous avons un endroit de pierres claires. Nous ne savons pas s'il y a des ressources au sommet de cette montagne.
Well, we settled. The command center is Ready, like a Structure factory and an Agridome. I like the  smell of tomatoes in the morning.
Eh bien, nous nous sommes installés. Le centre de commandement est prêt, tout comme une usine de structures et un agridôme. J'aime l'odeur des tomates le matin.
And, of course, the smelter. We didn't made the mine yet.
Et, bien sûr, la fonderie. Nous n'avons pas encore fait la mine
Making the inventory of our vehicles while we build the mine, i noticed that We have two convecs, a robo-dozer, three trucks, a robo-surveyor, a robo-miner and an earthworker. Well... We had a robo-miner.
Faisant l'inventaire de nos véhicules pendant qu'on construit la mine, j'ai noté que nous avions deux convecs, un robot-dozer, trois camions, un robot-géologue, un robo-mineur et une pelleteuse. Enfin... Nous avions un robot-mineur.
I have nothing to do, now. I just see the trucks dancing and the convecs move.
Je n'ai rien à faire, maintenant. Je ne fais que regarder les camions danser et les convecs se déplacer
After many hours, the sun shines. An extraterrestrial sun, of course. I remember what my mother told me about Earth sky. I can't imagine it. I just see stars.
Après de nombreuses heures, le soleil brille. Un soleil extraterrestre, bien sûr. Je me rappelle de ce que ma grand-mère m'a raconté à propos du ciel terrestre. Je ne peux pas l'imaginer. Je regarde juste les étoiles.
Well, I'm looking at the site where the Agridome is built. Sun reflects on the glass. Plants are happy. I don't think we are. I haven't slept in a bed for a long time now.
Enfin, je regarde l'endroit où l'agridôme a été construit. Le soleil se reflète sur le verre. Les plantes sont heureuses. Je ne pense pas que nous le soyons. Je n'ai pas dormi dans un lit pendant longtemps, maintenant.
Vehicles move like bugs. Remote-controllers must be tired of all this work.
Les véhicules bougent comme des insectes. Les télécommandeurs doivent être fatigués de tout ce travail
"Hello Nadia!
- Oh, hello Peter. How's life?
- Well, it is like it is. I dream of a bed!"
"Bonjour Nadia !
- Oh, bonjour Peter. Comment va la vie ?
- Eh bien, c'est comme c'est. Je rêve d'un lit !"

I smile. Nadia is one of the remote-controllers. She's brilliant. Oh, she smiles too. I continue to speak:
Je souris. Nadia est l'une de nos télécommandeuses. Elle est brillante; Oh, elle sourit également. Je continue de parler :
"- And you, Isn't the job too hard, with all these moves to do?
- Haha, me too. No, it isn't, unlike you can think. The savant computer takes a good part of the job. Well, I have work to do. It was a pleasure to speak with you!
- It is a pleasure for me too, bye!"
"- Et toi, le travail n'est pas trop dur, avec tous ces mouvements à effectuer ?
- Haha, moi aussi. Non, ce n'est pas comme ce que tu peux penser. L'ordinateur savant prend une bonne partie du travail. Bon, j'ai du travail. Ce fut un plaisir de parler avec toi !
- Ce fut un plaisir pour moi aussi, salut !"

FUCK! Moving to the residence, I saw Eden's lighters. That's not good. I hope they won't attack us. Their metallic droids are not beautiful. And this blue paint makes me tremble.
MERDE ! Allant à la résidence, je vis des éclaireurs d'Eden. C'est pas bon. J'espère qu'ils ne nous attaqueront pas. Leurs droïdes métalliques ne sont pas beaux. Et cette peinture bleue me fait trembler.
Well, There are no living place for all the colony. I hope they'll build another residence.
Enfin, il n'y a pas assez d'espace vital pour toute la colonie. J'espère qu'ils construiront une autre résidence.
And they did. Before moving to my Room, I go speak to Nadia, to wish her a Good night. She said that she will work in a standard lab, tomorrow. So, we'll begin researches... That's not bad, after all.
Et ils l'ont fait. Avant d'aller dans ma chambre, Je vais parler à Nadia, pour la souhaiter une bonne nuit. Elle a dit qu'elle allait travailler dans un labo standard, demain. Alors, nous allons commencer les recherches... Ce n'est pas si mal, après tout.
Well. It's dark, now. Good night, new terraneans!
Enfin. C'est sombre, maintenant. Bonne nuit, néoterriens !
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 11:45:21 AM by PatchouliConfort »
Eternity lies ahead of us, and behind. Have you drunk your fill?

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Re: The Journey : Part Alpha
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 07:31:18 AM »
Hmm. More novellas. :)

I edited a few minor typos. Some of the grammar is a bit odd, but I didn't try to change it. I'm not sure how you'd feel about that, or if such suggestions should go in their own post.

I vaguely remember you speak French. Would you be interested in making your story dual language? It might be neat to get some multilingual stuff on here. Might even be a good learning opportunity. :)

Offline PatchouliConfort

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 01:30:23 PM »
No problem !
Write my novella in Dual-language ? Why not !
And for the grammar, I think, I have to learn ^^
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 01:50:11 PM by PatchouliConfort »

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 02:07:17 PM »
Just when I thought I was the only one writing novellas, which reminds me I should get back to mine. Good stuff guy.
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 03:24:41 AM »
I know there have been a few people on the forums who speak both English and French, so perhaps people can help out with grammar. At the very least, I'm looking forward to some Google Translate learning sessions.  :D

Come to think of it, I've always loved those dual language kids books. Great way to teach kids more than one language.

Offline PatchouliConfort

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 07:50:16 AM »
Well, after a long time, I'm continuing this novella...
And for the french ver, should I do it in a new topic, or in this one ? And thanks, Dave_erald !

Now, let's continue the novella :

Day two : researches, researches...
  Jour deux : recherches, recherches...

Having a short sleep before going to the new-build standard lab, I think. Peter is so Careless...
Ayant un court sommeil avant d'aller dans le labo standard nouvellement construit, je pense. Peter est si insouciant...
People are tired of all these moves. They have to rest. Unfortunately, some plans got lost while our travel. That's why my team will restore them.
Les gens sont fatigués de tous ces déplacements. Ils doivent se reposer. Malheureusement, quelques plans furent perdus durant notre voyage. C'est pourquoi mon équipe va les reconstituer.
I wake up, and take a walk in the tubes. It's night, he's right. New-terranean moon is beautiful. After some time, I take a breath and enter to the standard lab.
Je me lève, et vais me promener dans les tubes. C'est la nuit, il a raison. La lune néo-terrienne est belle. Après un moment, je prends mon souffle et rentre dans le labo standard.
"Hi everyone !
-Hello Nadia."
"Bonjour tout le monde !
-Bonjour Nadia."

We're seven scientists. I hope no one will die... Illness will take all of us if we don't do something.
Nous sommes sept scientifiques. J'espère qu'aucun ne mourra. La maladie nous prendra tous si nous ne faisons rien.
"So, what's the plan ? I say.
-Well, we lost the plans to build nurseries to take care of children... It's a really important point to reconstruct. "
Donc, quel est le plan ? Dis-je.
- Eh bien, nous avons perdu les plans pour construire des maternités pour prendre soin des enfants... C'est un sujet très important à reconstituer

We all agree with this statement, and we go on computers. Unfortunately, we don't have enough computers and one of our scientists can't help.
It's a young scientist who leaves the room. He seemed tired.
Nous sommes tous d'accord avec cette déclaration, et nous allons sur les ordinateurs. Malheureusement, nous n'avons pas assez d'ordinateurs et l'un de nos scientifiques ne peut pas aider.
C'est un jeune scientifique qui quitte la salle. Il avait l'air fatigué.

The reconstruction is done quickly, so we speak about what we'll do. There's no education place, so we are thinking about what to do. Two scientists go to sleep, while we're speaking about the topic and searching in our computers. We find something, fastly.
La reconstitution est faite rapidement, alors nous discutons de ce que nous allons faire. Il n'y a pas d'endroit d'enseignement, alors nous pensons à ce qu'il faut faire. Deux scientifiques vont dormir, pendant que nous discutons à propos du sujet et cherchons sur nos ordinateurs. Nous trouvons quelque chose, rapidement.
We continue to speak and to search about some topics through night.
Nous continuons de discuter et de chercher à propos de divers sujets durant la nuit
We start to search how to manipulate vehicles. Unfortunately, one of our scientists hit the ground. He's dead...
Nous commençons à chercher comment manipuler des véhicules. Malheureusement, l'un de nos scientifiques s'effondre sur le sol. Il est mort...
We have to continue, it's an important research program.
Nous devons continuer, c'est un programme de recherche important.
Few times after this incident, we learn that the nursery is over ! I smile. Finally, our researches and reconstructions will make the colony grow. Cathrina waves, says Goodbye and leaves the lab. She was a good scientist.
Quelques temps après cet incident, nous apprenons que la maternité est terminée ! Je souris. Finalement, nos recherches et reconstitutions vont faire croître la colonie. Cathrina nous salue de sa main, dit au revoir et quitte le labo. Elle était une bonne scientifique.
Well, we continue to work in our program.
Eh bien, nous continuons à travailler sur notre programme
It's quiet. I hope we'll get some news of the main colony...
C'est calme. J'espère que nous aurons quelques nouvelles de la colonie principale...

I Looooove children ! I always wanted to work in a nursery ! And now, my dream comes true ! This nursery is so beautiful ! But I'm tired. I'll sleep a bit.
J'adooooore les enfants ! J'ai toujours voulu travailler dans une maternité ! Et maintenant, mon rêve se réalise ! Cette maternité est si belle ! Mais je suis fatiguée. Je vais dormir un peu
After my sleep, A man and a woman comes. The woman seems to have a child. I'm so excited ! I make the birth. While playing with the new born, I say :
Après mon sommeil, un homme et une femme arrivent. La femme semble avoir un enfant. Je suis si excitée ! J'effectue l'accouchement. Pendant que je joue avec le nouveau-né, je dis :
"Oooh ! Congratulations, it's a boy ! So, how do you want to name him ?
-Hmmm... I always liked old-earth stories. I propose "Ulysses". Is it good for you, Martha ?
-Yeah, you're right, it's a pretty name !"
Oooh ! Félicitations, c'est un garçon ! Donc, comment voulez-vous l'appeler ?
-Hmmm... J'ai toujours aimé les vieilles histoires de la terre. Je propose "Ulysse". Ça te convient, Martha ?
-Oui, tu as raison, c'est un joli nom !"

Then I cut the umbilical cord and I give the young Ulysses to his happy parents.
Alors je coupe le cordon ombilical et je donne le jeune Ulysse à ses heureux parents.
That's beautiful. He's the first child who's born in the new colony. Now, we can grow and renew the population. I hope he'll have a beautiful future.
And I return quietly to check some informations about the kids. I'm happy, here.
C'est beau. Il est le premier enfant qui est né dans la nouvelle colonie. Maintenant, nous pouvons croître et renouveler la population. J'espère qu'il aura un bel avenir.
Et je retourne tranquillement vérifier quelques informations à propos des enfants. Je suis heureuse, ici.

I look at the colony. Well, we made some progresses since our arrival here. Now that we have a nursery and an university, the population can be renewn and the young kids, educated, as the bored and smart adults. But I have a bad feeling. I sent my report to the main colony, but no reply...
Je regarde la colonie. Eh bien, nous avons fait beaucoup de progrès depuis notre arrivée ici. Maintenant que nous avons une maternité et une université, la population peut être renouvelée et les jeunes enfants, éduqués, tout comme les adultes ennuyés et intelligents. Mais j'ai un mauvais pressentiment. J'ai envoyé mon rapport à la colonie principale, mais pas de réponse...
Even if the colony is very happy now, I have those feelings. The night is coming quietly. I make my bed, and the sleep is coming quietly as the night...
Même si la colonie est très heureuse actuellement, j'ai ces pressentiments. La nuit tombe tranquillement. Je fais mon lit, et le sommeil tombe aussi tranquillement que la nuit...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:57:07 AM by PatchouliConfort »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 09:13:15 AM »
I'm thinking put the two versions in the same post, with some kind of separator (----) between them. I suppose you could alternate lines, but that probably doesn't work quite so well on the computer with word wrap and varying screen sizes. Double posting might work, but probably isn't preferred. Besides, you might accidentally have someone else post in the middle.

Some suggestions:
"some plans (we did) got lost during our travel"
"after some time"/"after a while"
"through the night"

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 09:26:29 AM »
There is probably no harm in having two separate topics in the Novellas page.

The Journey Part Alpha (English)

The Journey Part Alpha (French)

And what I would do is at the beginning of each new english chapter you could link to the French version. How about that?

Is there a way to set topics to not allow others to reply to them? Then the French version could be left as a read only copy?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 09:37:55 AM by dave_erald »
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 09:50:33 AM »
I believe that's a possibility.

As for grammar help, it might be easier if things were on the same page for comparison. Each instalment of the story doesn't appear to be all that long.

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 10:25:18 AM »
Both on one page may be better you're right.

Try a couple different styles and then choose one you like

Donc, écrire un paragraphe ou ligne comme tant ...(and then write the english version in a different color paragraph right underneath)
So write a paragraph or line like so... (Did I get that right?)

There are even more ways of doing this, but just changing the color would allow you to leave in parts you have made italics or bold so that you don't lose the effect or writing style you're after through changing to english or french

Just another idea.
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline PatchouliConfort

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 10:49:08 AM »
Hmmm... I thought of doing one version after another to have a continuous story but this idea is a good one. I'll do this. Thanks !

And thanks for the suggestions, Hooman !
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 09:54:27 AM by PatchouliConfort »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 07:21:07 AM »
I like the color idea.

"I thought of doing", ... "continuous"

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 06:27:41 PM »
I think you got a good system there now patch.

Looks good!
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer