Author Topic: Outpost Universe 2015 Chatroom  (Read 77562 times)

Offline Leviathan

Outpost Universe 2015 Chatroom
« on: January 20, 2015, 07:03:46 PM »
Hi all!

Its 2015! Its time to relaunch a OPU chatroom so here we go..! We have relaunched the IRC for the community :D

We are using a public server as currently we don't see any need to run our own server. We are at #Outpost2 on QuakeNet. Same channel that we launched in 2003 before moving to our own server in the past.

Quickest way to join us is with the web client but its best to install some IRC software on your computer.
Direct link: irc://irc.quakenet.org/outpost2
Link for Web client: #Outpost2 Web IRC

There are free IRC programs for all operating systems:
Windows: HexChat, HydraIRC
Mac: LimeChat
Linux: Smuxi
Android:  Androirc

Channel Stats can be found here.

If you have any questions or problems getting on IRC then please ask!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 06:12:00 PM by Leviathan »

Offline Leviathan

Re: Outpost Universe 2015 Chatroom
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 06:04:44 PM »
Hey all!

Thank you for all who have joined the chatroom in the past weeks :)

If you want to keep up with the activity I have put up a live archive of the channel at log.outpostuniverse.org

And here is a quick link for all IRC resources such as web chat link: irc.outpostuniverse.org
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 06:13:12 PM by Leviathan »

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 02:16:40 AM »
Thats probably meant good, but I don't like it. People sometimes share private information on irc and not all want that information out in the public. I'd prefer if only the people who are logged into irc could see whats being said.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 04:19:46 AM »
I do know what your saying but its a public channel that anyone can join. Pretty much everyone who is on IRC will be logging the messages. For example all major channels on the Freenode network are lodged and available online. I am also kind of against it as I've also only ever really been in channels were its not loged to the site but thought some people might like it, the forums are not that active at the moment but we have some activity on IRC. ZigZagJoe's image signature used to dynamically generate showing the last lines from IRC.

What do you suggest? The archive could maybe limited to the last 24/48 hours? Only available to users of OPU? If anyone else has any issues or suggestions let me know.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 08:34:24 AM by Leviathan »

Offline TH300

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 02:27:55 PM »
#Outpost2 is a small community channel. You can't compare it to major channels on Freenode.

The biggest issue that I have with a public irc log is that anybody (including profit oriented companies who sell personal information to advertisers) can see it. Limiting access to opu members would be a solution.

But I still don't see why a public log is needed. Irc and this forum are two distinct things. When I use the forum, I usually want to share/discuss something with all community members, even when people are online at different times. When I use irc, I usually want to share/discuss something with the people who are there, with the benefit of short response times and laxer rules (no need to stay on topic). I don't have to know what people say while I am not there, because I'm pretty sure that someone will tell me later if its important. Thats what irc is about: talking with people, and not saying something and have everyone else look it up from the logs.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 02:46:19 PM »
Yeah your right. Point taken. Have taken the log down. Will put it back up in the future with password protection for OPU members only. Don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable on the chat.

It mostly came from me looking at IRC again and seeing what I could do with it, I got the new stats bot up and then was looking at other ideas.

Thank you for the feedback.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 03:06:37 PM by Leviathan »

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 09:28:42 PM »
There are at least 5 bots sitting in the channel 24/7, logging everything you say.  What illusion of privacy do you think you have on QuakeNet?

If privacy is really your concern, why aren't you using Drakmar's chatroom, on the private server he controls?  Sure it keeps logs around for everyone to see, but I've grown to like it.  If you walk in during the middle of a conversation you can just scroll up and see what people are talking about, and the log only shows the last few messages before it's no longer viewable to the general public.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline TH300

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 10:42:57 PM »
There are at least 5 bots sitting in the channel 24/7, logging everything you say.  What illusion of privacy do you think you have on QuakeNet?
Thanks for reminding me. I guess, I'm just hoping that the bots won't leak too much, which is probably too optimistic. On the other hand, I can always create a private channel or use private messages.

If privacy is really your concern, why aren't you using Drakmar's chatroom, on the private server he controls?
Maybe because I don't yet trust Drakmar enough. His site loads content and uses apis from other domains. Thats a sign that Drakmar can't be too concerned about privacy.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 07:08:26 AM »
Then download the standalone client available at the bottom of this page.

Wake up and smell the roses, people.  OPU is dead.  The forums are broken, the dedicated chat server is gone, and the admins are all AWOL and don't care about the place anymore.  Meanwhile, we've got a brand new community over at the New Terran Command Site that is really doing a lot to try to breathe new life into the game: casting games, creating tutorial videos to attract new players, a new update to the game.  We could all be working together to build up NTCS instead of wasting time pointlessly trying to resuscitate the zombie that OPU has become.

It's time to stop living in the past.  It's time to move on.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 07:22:17 AM »
It's the Internet. What kind  of privacy do you expect?

Clearly OPU, or at least what it means to me isn't dead or I wouldn't have come back. Why not just jump to ntcs, right? I'm already there and it just doesn't feel the same.

Thats just my humble opinion anyway.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 07:25:18 AM by leeor_net »

Offline TH300

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 01:45:05 PM »
Wake up and smell the roses, people.  OPU is dead
it was sleeping, and right now its awaking. And in contrast to you I'm sure, that we can get everything going again at opu.

We could all be working together to build up NTCS instead of wasting time pointlessly trying to resuscitate the zombie that OPU has become.
Is your own opinion still the only opinion that you accept? I find it perfectly ok, if you (and others) prefer to move over to ntcs (Imo splitting the community is a bad idea, but I'm ok with it). But I don't find it ok if you urge people to come to ntcs. Also, be honest: ntcs was quite inactive until Leviathan began to revive opu.

I'm staying at opu, because I feel attached to opu (and not any other op2 community). I also want to make sure that our history is kept.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 05:21:06 PM »
Is your own opinion still the only opinion that you accept?
I have a few problems with this.

1) Several forum/site mechanisms literally do not work anymore.  That's not an opinion, that is a fact as recognized by the fact that we now need someone to manually approve new members.

2) I haven't once complained about your ability to express your opinion.  I've merely argued my case for my own opinion.  The fact that you're condemning my opinion and making a personal attack against me shows that you're the one who doesn't accept opinions counter to your own.  This reflects extremely poorly on you and your ability as a moderator.  In the unlikely event that an admin returns, I will be complaining about this incident to them.

Edit: I also don't appreciate you insinuating that Drakmar is untrustworthy, despite never doing anything that would indicate that.  Again, this treatment of members reflects very poorly on you as a moderator.

Now if we can return the subject to a healthy debate about the future of the community, I would greatly appreciate it.

Edit 2: Some offensive comments somehow made their way into this message when someone else accidentally edited it.  I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but I want it to be known that the intention of this message was not to begin a flame war.  I saw what I perceived as an attack against myself and Drakmar and was asking for an apology, which has since been given.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 12:48:33 AM by Sirbomber »

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 05:46:21 PM »
Hoping that I'm not throwing fuel on the fire but I want to point out that the aggression started with the post about OPU being dead. That's fine if it's the way you feel but I see no reason for elevated emotions and taking things personally when they're not personal attacks.

Obviously I can only speak for myself so I'll point out again that sure, while things may be broken here it's probable that this is the case because there didn't appear to be a need to fix them. That doesn't mean that there's no caring from the moderators. Quite the opposite, I've spoken with a few of them and there has been a lot of forward movement toward making things work again.

I'll also reiterate my opinion, that I started with OPU and I intend to stay with OPU. Most of the people that I talked to regularly were with OPU and there has most certainly been a resurgence of interest from OPU veterans in the last few weeks. Even Hooman has shown up again. So meh. The NTCS looks great and all but it's not the community that I joined. Will I interact with it? Yes, absolutely, but OPU feels like home to me so I'll do what I can to bring it back to its former status. Kind of like an old neglected house. You don't just give up and throw it away, you can bring it back from the brink and breath new life into it.

Offline TH300

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 05:58:52 PM »
The fact that you're condemning my opinion and making a personal attack against me shows that you're the one who doesn't accept opinions counter to your own.
I'm sorry for the offence. I found your urging to move over to ntcs a bit rude and overreacted. I can't follow your conclusion that I don't accept your opinion, but lets just leave that behind.

Edit: I also don't appreciate you insinuating that Drakmar is untrustworthy, despite never doing anything that would indicate that.  Again, this treatment of members reflects very poorly on you as a moderator.
Please, WHAT? Trust has to be earned. The fact that I don't trust Drakmar is based on that I don't know him well enough. Its in no way an offence. Now, lets please stop the personal attacks.

You say, opu is currently broken. I say, yes it is, but we're repairing it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 06:05:05 PM by TH300 »

Offline Drakmar

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 05:42:07 AM »
I'd just like to point out that there's no reason to argue over who wants to visit which site. I'm not here to divide the community, I'm simply presenting another option. There's no reason why both sites can't interact and work together, and I'd like to think of them as "sister-sites" rather than separate entities. It's not the goal of NTCS to replace OPU, it's simply to make sure that there's always somewhere for the community to go should something happen to one site or the other. As some of you know, I'm a big fan of redundancies. I will admit that the fact that OPU was down for a bit last summer did have a factor in present opinions, but as OPU is starting to revive itself, I'd like to help out in any way I can to facilitate cooperation. The last thing I want is a repeat of the old forum wars.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 05:43:50 AM by Drakmar »

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2015, 06:10:11 AM »
Hi

Thanks guys for the input and for de-railing the thread :D I won't comment on everything that's been said as what's important is to work together. So thank you Drakmar. I feel the same!

Both bots and users normally log channels that they are in. Loging is normally set to on by default on most IRC clients as users like to be able to review the logs and find info if needed. Privacy is not the issue here but should be understood by all, public IRC rooms are public so  treat them as so. A private server ran by any individual may have worse privacy than a large network such as QuakeNet. I have actually put up a OPU dedicated IRC chat server a few weeks ago but for now we are on QuakeNet, if the community wants to move, we can.

Outpost 2 is not dead and that's what matters, and we now have two sites!

We will be working together and cooperating, there is only one Outpost community and its small but with a bunch of members who are very busy with their lives but make the time to do work on Outpost 2 :)

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 08:33:39 AM »
OPU feels like home to me so I'll do what I can to bring it back to its former status. Kind of like an old neglected house. You don't just give up and throw it away, you can bring it back from the brink and breath new life into it.

Well said leeor :) Were get the house in order in time!

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 11:41:23 PM »
I suppose my position did come from fear that we did need to settle on one site or the other or risk splitting our already small (to the point of non-existent) community even more.  Based on past incidents it never really occurred to me that we could have two functioning sites working in tandem.  I'm still not convinced we can, but I suppose it's worth experimenting with before jumping to conclusions.

I'd also like to apologize to anyone I've offended by over-selling NTCS.  OPU means a lot to all of us here, but the spirit of the community is more important to me than a URL, and I was just doing what I thought was best to keep that spirit alive.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 01:25:12 AM by Sirbomber »

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2015, 02:38:50 PM »
It’s an interesting position we find ourselves in. But ultimately I think it indicates growth which is what the community needs.

Being a small community I think it spreads resources a bit but as long as we work together and don't double work on things then its not an issue.

You can't make anyone settle on either site, its down to the individual and its possible you will have people on either side of the bridge.

I suggest as we are a small community that we share the same chatroom.

In terms of activity in the last week we have had 2389 lines sent to the channel from around 25 different users.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 02:41:33 PM by Leviathan »

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 07:33:12 AM »
I'm still voting for IRC. I've only heard of XMPP in passing over the years and I just tried the spark chat and immediately hated it.

IRC is somewhat old technology but it's familiar and it does its job reasonably well. I'm open to other suggestions but I'm rabidly against XMPP/Spark atm.

Sister sites is a good way to view it. I sort of see it that way. Similar themes but different goals I suppose? NTCS looks to be geared toward Haven... is this correct?

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2015, 07:07:31 PM »
Nope not just for Haven but that is a major project that is going on there.

The channel is gaining in activity. We have had games almost daily in the last week and for the last month there has been a average of 250 chat lines per day.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 04:44:14 AM by Leviathan »

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 06:56:56 PM »
Lev, Drakmar and I have asked you several times to stop referring to NTCS as a "backup" for OPU.  I can guarantee that is not the purpose of NTCS.  NTCS is its own independent site, and it's highly disrespectful of you to imply otherwise.

As an aside, you keep talking about how active the IRC chatroom is.  You post your statistics about how many lines you get per day, but what I (and I think most people) really want to know is how many games get played on average per day?  I can personally say that NTCS sees actual games of OP2.  From what I've been told about IRC, nobody ever actually gets any games in.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 07:11:05 PM by Sirbomber »

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 04:58:45 AM »
Very sorry I didnt mean to be disrespectful. We have estblished that we are working together so lets leave it at that.

Your incorrect, games are being played. Why are you going on what others are telling you?

I can keep track of games played if you like. And your wrong in that its just about games as thats not the sole purpose of having a chatroom. A chatroom, like the forum is for people to communicate with each other, talk about Outpost or whatever they want and also play games. Some are too busy to play but still like to chat, some just come for games. Not everyone uses IRC and not everyone uses the forums, some prefer realtime chat etc. The stats indicate activity just like we could work out how manys posts per day on the forum to show how active the it is.

I'm really posting the stats to show that we now have a active room where as 2 months ago we had no activity and also hoping that more people will come on.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 05:51:08 AM by Leviathan »

Offline Nineball

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 11:01:45 AM »
I'd just like to say, while i like spark better, there are actually people that idle and come online and play in IRC where as with spark nobody is staying online(Just leviathan and for the record nobody from spark is coming to irc for games but he idles in spark), and people are few and far between. I've played about 20 or 30 games over the past weeks with people on IRC. I can't say the same about the activity on spark. Every time i log in I was the last one to say something it seems like.
-9ball

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 04:13:53 PM »
Having "idlers" is not a good thing, and bragging about having them means you're more concerned with looking like you have activity than actually having activity.