Author Topic: Op2 Summer Tourny  (Read 15996 times)

Offline Spikerocks101

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2011, 01:29:42 PM »
If people are going to go about lying and deceiving each other, why even bother? They can just go back in the corner they came from.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline jcj94

• http://techfusion-279.com
Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2011, 09:15:23 PM »
They can just go back in the corner they came from.
And get burnt by a match!

But really, ECC, we should trust people

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2011, 11:17:51 PM »
I liked the world domination idea too, but we never really used it all that much =/
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline jcj94

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2011, 07:56:52 PM »
Look back at MY second post (from the begiining)
Edited for current psition on rules.  Will add rules later.

Offline Sirbomber

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2011, 09:18:19 PM »
Wait, I'm confused.  What's with this talk of 2v1's?  Do "good players" have to go up alone against teams of two?

Also: I'll be cocky if I want. :P
And the name's Sirbomber.  No spaces.  No capital b.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:19:50 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline jcj94

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2011, 09:25:44 PM »
I make typos.

so ATTACK MY AWESOME NINJA WOLVES!

Offline Hidiot

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2011, 10:53:46 PM »
Talk about going off-topic in your own topic.

I do have a honest question, though: When did this competitively and these bitter feelings even arise?
It's pretty much a fact of life that those who are better than you will surpass you and triumph over you, bar special conditions. But is that why we play games? Especially in a game this old, with a community smaller than an apartment block, I'm pretty sure the whole point is to have fun. If you can't find the fun, then why do you still play it?

Let me remind you that everyone was a newb at one time. I still have vivid memories of my early games and I still shudder when facing our top players. But that doesn't take away the fact that I enjoyed what there was to enjoy and didn't dwell too long on losses, or the fact that I have NEVER beaten Sirbomber under any circumstances, and I have only beaten Highlander when he wasn't being too serious.

You will better yourself if you learn from those better than you.

Hmm, long time since I've written such long posts.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2011, 03:59:38 AM »
Allright, here are my suggestions for Tourny rules and setup.
Perhaps it may somehow be of use.

Setup:

- I suggest Ladder style (Were each won match gives 1 point) rather than fixed matches leading up to finals. We have tried this before and it is always a problem to get matches underway because people have real lives and live in different time zones.
A ladder style tourney would solve this (and other problems) by letting people play when they wish.
Another feature of this is that less experienced players can climb on the rankings by playing more matches.

- While Jcj suggested we start a new channel for this, I think it would be more convenient to just use the normal chat channel. Simply because the main channel sees more activity.

- As a report system I would suggest (though I don't know if it is possible), that we get an own subforum. This way, when one would like to report a match, you create a new topic, with the topic name stating who played against who. Included in the first post one repeats who played against who, the map that was played on and the AM (Possibly BM) involved - and of course who won the game.
Further in the topic one could then post a summary of the match, pictures and have discussions etc..
(Might be an idea to lock each topic after 24-48 hours?)

- While it would be preferable to have a ranking system(Like skill level 1- 10), that would also involve some extra work - and people would have to be honest about their skill level. Not to mention we need some criteria's for the different scores.
One would also have to agree how differences in rankings should be solved. For example could Player A (with rank 8), playing against Player B (6), start with Medium resources instead of High. Or if the difference were higher, perhaps even Low Res.
In LR one could combine it with allowing lower ranking players to build their base, say -20 marks earlier than the higher ranking player.

For rankings we would also need to define current ones. Since most people seem to put faith in Sirbomber and myself, one system could be were the two of us rank as 10.
Another way would be to include an all time top ranking list, where I would put Paco/Lev up as 10 and in comparison I would currently deem myself somewhere around 7-8.

Rules:

Preferably we should interfere as little as possible with people's playing styles.

- Leave the decision of the Map and Mark up to the players involved. The most important thing here would of course that all parties agree before game start. A general guideline that could come in handy and one I usually use, is to let the least experienced player set the pace of the game (within sensible bounds) - thus allowing them to decide AM.

A few other rules which could be considered:
- Only 1 spaceport per Plymouth player in LoS.
- Don't Destroy/Attack Walls or Tubes before AM is up.
- Don't block ore locations/areas you will not use yourself just to limit your opponent.
- Don't enter opponents base area before AM.

[If you got any questions to any of these, let me know and I will clarify]

Some advertisement in form of a mail to all the members of the forum could be a good start to get some participants. In the same mail one could clarify the new things that has been added to the game since the last update mail from OPU. - People did after all sign up here because they had some interest in Outpost.
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline evecolonycamander

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2011, 04:14:06 AM »
People did after all sign up here because they had some interest in Outpost.
or spam the large member base :P

I agree with all these rules and would like to add one of my own.
 No barricading your enemy's in.

also, because i still think there may be some issues i am working with subbed to create a 2 player match that allows for a 3rd player to watch only. i am using custom maps for this little project with preset bases. hopefully, this will both allow an in game judge/referee, and also later be used to help teach newbies. thus far i have only one map that although complete needs some reworking to make it LOOK good.
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2011, 04:23:22 AM »
I agree with all these rules and would like to add one of my own.
 No barricading your enemy's in.
That one would fall in under "Don't block areas you will not use yourself just to limit your opponent."

also, because i still think there may be some issues i am working with subbed to create a 2 player match that allows for a 3rd player to watch only.
You can do this by default on any map except 2 player maps. Just ally both other players and demolish your base/blow up your vehicles.
Going through a lot of trouble to create maps and game type specific for this seems to be more hassle than it's worth.

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2011, 08:20:04 AM »
Allright, here are my suggestions for Tourny rules and setup.
Perhaps it may somehow be of use.

Setup:

- I suggest Ladder style (Were each won match gives 1 point) rather than fixed matches leading up to finals. We have tried this before and it is always a problem to get matches underway because people have real lives and live in different time zones.
A ladder style tourney would solve this (and other problems) by letting people play when they wish.
Another feature of this is that less experienced players can climb on the rankings by playing more matches.

- While Jcj suggested we start a new channel for this, I think it would be more convenient to just use the normal chat channel. Simply because the main channel sees more activity.

- As a report system I would suggest (though I don't know if it is possible), that we get an own subforum. This way, when one would like to report a match, you create a new topic, with the topic name stating who played against who. Included in the first post one repeats who played against who, the map that was played on and the AM (Possibly BM) involved - and of course who won the game.
Further in the topic one could then post a summary of the match, pictures and have discussions etc..
(Might be an idea to lock each topic after 24-48 hours?)

- While it would be preferable to have a ranking system(Like skill level 1- 10), that would also involve some extra work - and people would have to be honest about their skill level. Not to mention we need some criteria's for the different scores.
One would also have to agree how differences in rankings should be solved. For example could Player A (with rank 8), playing against Player B (6), start with Medium resources instead of High. Or if the difference were higher, perhaps even Low Res.
In LR one could combine it with allowing lower ranking players to build their base, say -20 marks earlier than the higher ranking player.

For rankings we would also need to define current ones. Since most people seem to put faith in Sirbomber and myself, one system could be were the two of us rank as 10.
Another way would be to include an all time top ranking list, where I would put Paco/Lev up as 10 and in comparison I would currently deem myself somewhere around 7-8.

Rules:

Preferably we should interfere as little as possible with people's playing styles.

- Leave the decision of the Map and Mark up to the players involved. The most important thing here would of course that all parties agree before game start. A general guideline that could come in handy and one I usually use, is to let the least experienced player set the pace of the game (within sensible bounds) - thus allowing them to decide AM.

A few other rules which could be considered:
- Only 1 spaceport per Plymouth player in LoS.
- Don't Destroy/Attack Walls or Tubes before AM is up.
- Don't block ore locations/areas you will not use yourself just to limit your opponent.
- Don't enter opponents base area before AM.

[If you got any questions to any of these, let me know and I will clarify]

Some advertisement in form of a mail to all the members of the forum could be a good start to get some participants. In the same mail one could clarify the new things that has been added to the game since the last update mail from OPU. - People did after all sign up here because they had some interest in Outpost.
I agree with every little detail highlander said here, i think we should take everything he said here and make it the new rules...

1) its clear.
2) its agreeble.
3) its a fair compromise.
4) he has vast knowledge which should not be ignored.

So lets go with highlanders ideas listed above.
Anyone agree? disagree?

And if and ONLY IF we go with this idea quoted from highlander will i join:
...by letting people play when they wish.

Let me get this correct highlander, basically what your saying is that when we do this tourney it would not be on one specific day so to make it easier it could be throughout a specific time period (like a week for example). am i correct? please correct me.

If it were like that then i would join, otherwise if its only on one day i wouldent join.
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2011, 10:51:24 AM »
Let me get this correct highlander, basically what your saying is that when we do this tourney it would not be on one specific day so to make it easier it could be throughout a specific time period (like a week for example). am i correct? please correct me.
Yeah, it seems like we're on the same page LoP.

Since it's a summer tourney, (and given we use a ladder based tourney) I would assume the tourney per say, would continue the entire summer, which would make it start some time in June and end some time in August.

In the period the tourney lasts, everyone could go online whenever they wanted and challenge others for a game (or be challenged) and the winner(s) would each get 1 point per game they win. After the time period is up scores are counted and the one with most points win. One could also give out some other rewards for most games played or fewest losses. Or maybe something to the player who has managed to play with as many as possible of the others who has entered in the tourney.

For my part, I will always have trouble arranging specific times with people outside of my timezone (Europe), so having no specific times would suit me best. In addition to timezone problems I will be working the entire summer + hang out with friends/family when I'm first home for the summer, so time infront of the computer will probably be my first nor second priority.
So in my case I would just try to jump on when I can to play.

Offline jcj94

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2011, 06:07:39 PM »
GAH HIGHLANDER HIJACKED MY TOURNY... oh well!

I do have to say... I like your rules highlander.

[OT]

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2011, 02:25:20 PM »
Wouldn't say hijacked.. just gave you a nudge in the right direction ;)

Offline evecolonycamander

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2011, 02:29:30 PM »
me and subbed have currently one map designed for matches with judges. though it dose still have a few minor bugs that need to be worked out before first release
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 02:30:47 PM by evecolonycamander »
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline jcj94

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2011, 10:49:43 PM »
Get it up and running and all the props to yah!

Thanks guys... being in Cleveland has halted me working on most projects (the laptops all only have Java Coders on them) so this project is one that I'm glad is still going.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2011, 12:51:21 AM »

umm....I'm not so sure about that...I've beaten Paco on pie (oh the irony for me, my most hated map and I won against Paco), and I've never even been able to get into your base.  I don't remember ever playing against bomber...
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2011, 01:52:28 AM »

umm....I'm not so sure about that...I've beaten Paco on pie (oh the irony for me, my most hated map and I won against Paco), and I've never even been able to get into your base.  I don't remember ever playing against bomber...
Thats why you take the average over several games, so that one unlikely win doesn't change the ranking too much.

Offline Sirbomber

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2011, 08:01:38 AM »
Yes, but Paco and Lev were only good on Pie Chart rushes.  Play on a big map like Fractures, and give them even a tiny little AM and... well, they would usually just break AM...

Point is, each player has certain strengths and weaknesses.  Don't apply blanket statements like "X is a ten" and "Y is an eight" without context.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 08:02:28 AM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Nynx

• http://on1-k.deviantart.com/
Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2011, 10:42:49 AM »
so after a few years hiatus, I have swung back to interest in OP2 and this caught my eye. Are you still allowing sign-ups? also will there be a match schedule? I would like to join in and would rate myself a novice for ladder purpose :P

Offline Spikerocks101

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2011, 11:38:17 AM »
This is still happening, and any official sign up really hasn't started (since I don't even know whose playing O.o). Welcome back :P
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2011, 12:09:42 PM »
well as long as theres no set date, more like a week long thing, then you can count me in.
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2011, 09:28:14 PM »
Unless you expand the time frame to at least end of August I don't expect that I'll be able to spend the time. I don't demand it, I'm just letting you know.

Offline jcj94

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2011, 11:06:59 PM »
... i.. I MIGHT be able to get it to go for two weeks, but That's all I can do.  Remember, I'm working on:
General AI
Clone Wars (That DOESN'T crash to much),
King of The Hill,
And Autonomous/"better" Drive-line code for next years robot (I still don't know what the game is, but drive-line tends to be the same each year).

That, and I don't think my parents are enjoying me sitting in front of a computer for extended periods of time.  I need to get SOME exercise :P