0 (0%)
YES, just to add another element to gameplay
3 (50%)
NO, just leave the game the way it is
3 (50%)
NO, new people are going to have issues
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Ore Degeneration?  (Read 23679 times)

Offline Spikerocks101

Ore Degeneration?
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 09:41:44 PM »
jcj... STAY ON TOPIC! Please, your posts are very spammy.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline jcj94

• http://techfusion-279.com
Ore Degeneration?
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 10:06:39 PM »
For the whole "trying to make it like starcraft" I don't intend to do that.  What I want is a more tied down way to the storyline.  They had to keep moving or else they'd 1, die, and 2, run out of resources.  I think SLOWLY degrading the bar #, like every 1000 truckloads or some thing would work.  

I just wish to add MORE micromanagement to the game.

Offline evecolonycamander

Ore Degeneration?
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 11:07:47 PM »
op1 sported diminishing resources. i think if we make select missions have that(but many spot of which to utilize) then complaints will be minimal
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline jcj94

Ore Degeneration?
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 02:23:01 PM »
Look up 4 posts.  That should sum it up.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Ore Degeneration?
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2011, 04:00:06 PM »
If you want to do this, do it right or don't do it. Ore degration should be based on truck loads, not on mark. The player should get a message when ore yield is decreasing. And ore routs must continue to work without rerouting of trucks.

If all these conditions are met, there are chances that I like it. (I won't be able to play before I actually played it)

Offline Spikerocks101

Ore Degeneration?
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 04:31:08 PM »
Well, any one wanna get started on this? Record some data, like how many truck loads and such, and see what the best choice of action will be.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Ore Degeneration?
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2011, 06:29:24 PM »
The first thing to do would really be to find out how to add this to the game. I don't think, it'll be easy.

Side note: I always like how some people post ideas/suggestions, before they know how to implement them into the game.

Offline Spikerocks101

Ore Degeneration?
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2011, 06:31:43 PM »
Which brings me back to my post, "Any one want to get started on this?". I, personally, don't really care to do it, since I am not in the map making business.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline jcj94

Ore Degeneration?
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2011, 04:35:25 PM »
TH300, the reason we post before we do is we don't want to make something no one will use / download / enjoy.

And I believe there IS a way to do truckloads, I am just unsure if it will crash the game or not when switching the ore out from underneath it.

And IF I do the ore beacon change under it, it will be a LOT simpler because you won't need to re-route trucks.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Ore Degeneration?
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2011, 05:05:11 AM »
I like the idea of degenerating mines.

As a start one could keep mines as they are today, where you get a quick peak before it drops down to a certain level (where it stays forever). From that level you could get a slow decrease down to 10-15-20'ish ore per truckload. (Mines in real life is rarely completely exhausted, they just become unprofitable to run I think)

Personally I'd like to think if you combined the decreasing ore with some alterations(increase) in high tech unit costs, one would see a very different scenario when it comes to battles than what you see today (=Mass spamming of best units and forces meets head on in battles of attrition). This way it would be possible to weigh many cheaper units vs a few high tech units. And other tactics would be of higher significance (Unit movements, Walls, GP's.. etc)

With this change, the unused Midas and Resource Race might also be viable game options ?

If one decided to make this change or to test it - why not just make an "expansion" or how one would define it - where you could just create a 2nd copy of OP2 and have these changes in a modified version, while still having the original OP2 on the side..
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Sirbomber

Ore Degeneration?
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2011, 08:38:17 AM »
Your idea would be easier Highlander, as it wouldn't require too much (or any?) coding and just extensive modification of the sheets.

I mean, I think.  I haven't looked at mines.txt too much.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline jcj94

Ore Degeneration?
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2011, 12:48:24 PM »
I was JUST thinking of useing some sort of 'angled armor' tech.  It would reduce ALL or, most, unit costs, because, as anyone familiar with war would know, if you angle the steel 60 degrees, than you effectivly DOUBLE the amount of steel that the bullet/projectile is actually going through.  And if you doulbe the effectiveness, you can halve the wieght.  That way you can increse speed and so forth.  Things would go down by about 200 ore for GP's and buildings and 300 for vechs.

Ore Degeneration?
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2011, 01:07:50 PM »
Ok, i edit the mines.txt on a regular basis. I'll make a mod for you all to test. i hope to achive the following:
1bar mines
extended - Slowly peaks at large quantity and has very small bust

2bar mines
stable - small quick peak and small slow bust

3bar mines
quick - slowly peaks and quickly busts to very low amount

magma mines
usable - peaks and dose not bust

this would make players in quick games run for the 2-3 bar mines wile in longer games a 1 bar mine would ensure survival. it also makes magma vents usable
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 01:08:17 PM by evecolonycamander »
-famous last words

Offline jcj94

Ore Degeneration?
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2011, 04:35:01 PM »
Could you make it so that after the degraision that it turns into the production of the next level down (so a 3 bar would "become" a two bar, and after a little while longer it also "becomes" a 1 bar) so that way they all end up BECOMING either the equivilant of a 1 bar, and making you either expand, or micro-manage moving.

I can see that now:
Colonist: "Time to pack up honey, we gotta get more minerals and a job"
Enemy Commander: "Destroy that new colony!"
Savant: "You have done well, your colony is doomed, however, you can always just put another $0.25 in and play again.  Have a nice day!"

Ore Degeneration?
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2011, 12:03:45 AM »
wile i can not change the bar image i can simulate the degrading ore so that the idea of finding/monopolizing the 3bar is no longer a profitable option and 1bar mines actualy produce quantities that Eden can use
-famous last words

Offline jcj94

Ore Degeneration?
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2011, 10:52:19 AM »
That would be appricieated by anyone (including me) who likes eden but ends up getting stuffed with a bunch of 1/2 bar ore fields.